Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How Often Do You Check Engine Oil Level?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 AM
SpongeBob is an unknown quantity at this point
How Often Do You Check Engine Oil Level?

My fellow enthusiasts,

I recently acquired a '16 Vanquish and read in the owner's manual that I should "check the engine oil level every fourth fuel tank fill or weekly - which ever is sooner."

Don't know about you all, but I don't quite go through 4 tanks per week so I am therefore relegated to checking the level once per week.

Just curious what your practice might be on this...do you truly need to check the oil level every week? Seems excessive to me but I'm willing to comply if that is standard practice.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
On my 3 V8 vantages they never used any oil between annuals - about 6 to 10,000 miles a year.

I've read where the V12's can use more oil, I just got a V12S, so anyone else chime in - I'd like to know too.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
45K mile DB9. I check every 2K miles or so. Almost never needs a top up.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Newer V12 engines have oil level sensing (2009+) IIRC does a check on fuel fill-up (that way it knows the vehicle is on a level grade) and will display the message 1 litre low in the DIM. I would check @ 1k mi. on a V12.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:25 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Every few drives (mileage independent) I pop the hood when I park in the garage and then it reminds me to check to oil when I next go in the garage to use it.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:26 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Newer V12 engines have oil level sensing (2009+) IIRC does a check on fuel fill-up (that way it knows the vehicle is on a level grade) and will display the message 1 litre low in the DIM. I would check @ 1k mi. on a V12.
Every 4th fill up it checks, not every fill up.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I check around monthly, just topped up 0,25l after 6000 km

Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Every 10 days or every fill-up, which ever comes first.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:13 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
I check mine before a long drive or a proposed hard drive & again afterwards

or about monthly ( i have a couple of old Triumphs so it is second nature)

usual driving doesnt use any oil

hard driving it fills into the catch can

Graeme

Old 07-19-2017, 06:39 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Old school, oil checked every time before leaving the garage. Never had to add any though. Kind of just like to look things over before going for a drive.

Regards,

Old 07-20-2017, 05:31 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. Definitely doesn't hurt to check more often than not, which I will start doing. Is there a particular oil that you prefer?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:29 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Mobil 1 0w-40 for the V12.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Just to let you all know that I posed the question of how often to check the oil level to my local service manager and here is his reply:

"After talking to the guys in the shop, there are a few different answers. So obviously, checking the oil doesn't hurt the car, so the more frequent, the better. However, we all know we have a million other things going on so checking the oil once a week probably isn't going to happen. They said if you are concerned about the oil level to check it out. However, just make sure that you are checking it correctly. On your car you can check the oil level after the engine gets to operating temperature and then cools for 30 mins, which again I'm sure you have other things going on and don't have time to warm the car up and wait for it to cool to check the oil. You can also get an accurate measurement by checking the oil 12 hours after the car has been turned off. So with that said, I would probably check the oil on a weekend morning after the car has been parked overnight after the fourth fill up."

Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Never.

I haven't checked my oil for 20 years, I'm used to having it changed every 3000 miles. And it's not like the attendant at the service station asks anymore

So, thanks to this thread I checked, and yes, I was a little over 2 quarts down. 7000 miles. Ooops! Threw 2 in and it's 1/2" from Max, but this 10,000/once a year thing isn't often enough IMO. That oil was too dirty for me. I have to be in to have a scan done Wednesday so I'll have them change it.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Glad you checked!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.