Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Any V12S Dogleg owners here?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:08 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Any V12S Dogleg owners here?

Have not seen any reviews from owners yet.

Thinking of getting one. Drove it a while back. Like it a lot.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Not an owner, but I've driven one for a day. Very awkward to get used to, but rewarding when you get it right.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...2s-manual.html

Old 09-22-2017, 02:55 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I have not driven one, however I am not a fan of the dogleg shift pattern. On a street car you are usually executing 1st. to 2nd. shift a lot more than the 6th.to 7th. And that's the problem, the 1st. To 2nd. shift potentially sucks. In addition, as per a road test done by an English magazine, the ratios between gears are short, so you tend to be shifting a lot.
IMHO the 7th. gear is there only to improve gas mileage, it offers no performance advantage.
That said if I were to buy a dogleg 7 speed manual I woul look into converting the linkage to a sequencial gearbox.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by embdenb
I have not driven one, however I am not a fan of the dogleg shift pattern. On a street car you are usually executing 1st. to 2nd. shift a lot more than the 6th.to 7th. And that's the problem, the 1st. To 2nd. shift potentially sucks. In addition, as per a road test done by an English magazine, the ratios between gears are short, so you tend to be shifting a lot.
IMHO the 7th. gear is there only to improve gas mileage, it offers no performance advantage.
That said if I were to buy a dogleg 7 speed manual I woul look into converting the linkage to a sequencial gearbox.
I've not driven one, probably will never get the chance, and am jealous of the guys who do. Having said that, in a car with the kind of torque that the V12 makes, you don't really need 7 or even 6 gears. But, today all transmissions need to be at least 6. It's marketing, whatever. Because of that torque and the tight gearing, you probably never really need 1st gear anyway.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
think they went 7 just because they added a clutch pedal to the existing 7 speed ASM, then they hype the dogleg as a marketing advantage.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:19 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The dogleg has it's advantages on track where you'll never put it in first, but as said, on the street hard launching off a light and slamming second takes on a different geometry you would no doubt get used to, but I would prefer to have a straight H pattern as our 6 speeds.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Thanks all.

Got a feeling those who bought one probably do not visit the forums much too.

My first impression is the car is really well sorted out by now. They might have fixed all the glitches they learned from previous MYs. I tried moving off the line with 2nd gear and it felt ok. Sales person said it won't affect warranty. So it seems gear 1 is 0.5, and every gear after that is a n-1.

Intention is to keep the current design in my collection for a while. 2011 and 2012 V12 are getting harder to find which lead me to believe that perhaps doglegs will be rare at some point.

Not convinced about getting the V12S with SportShift transmission yet, though I reckon those will be rare birds at some point.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Piggyback on my own thread.

I ended up scoring a dogleg. This would be my 3rd AM. Previously had two Vantages V8 ('07 and '14), both in manual shift. I always knew that I need another Brit in the garage. Test drove the 570S, 650S. Just not a fan of turbo-ed engines.

The V12VSM is decently equipped albeit no sports-plus pack. The wheels and 5hp bump are nice. But this option is limited to certain colors and I can't deal with those colors especially with the graphics pack and overloaded alcantara interior.

Put down a couple of hundreds of miles already and I must say the car brings me a big wide smile every time I shift. Didn't take long to master the new shift pattern. AMShift is conveniently spot on. There's no doubt a sensory overload when driving this car. I can almost taste the combustion chambers igniting, gears meshing, pistons pumping and hydraulics damping. So engineered yet primal.

Love the adjustable Sport & Track suspension setting. Not looking to compare this to a GT3 but it's pretty damn good. I feel that Matt Becker might have tweaked this car a bit and now I really want to track this car.

The AMi III entertainment system is a good improvement from the previous version. BT pairing, audio adjustments etc are so much easier. More intuitive UI and especially with Android Auto/Apple Carplay, you can just rely on Google maps.

Chris Harris said it best when he reviewed this car:

"Anyone who has got one of these, should be very very pleased with their purchase."

Pics to follow soon once I wash the car.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:18 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Congrats

look forward to the pics

Graze

Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Wow.. Congrats!!

You bought the ultimate car ever build!
Please share some pictures with us

Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Awesome, I saw a dogleg v12S randomly in the outer area parking lot at the concours d'elegance in Lake forest, I was like holy **** once I realized what it was

Definitely my dream car, but I'd be ok even with a 2011 V12V some day

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Had a dog leg in my Maserati a long time ago and liked it. Makes more sense to me.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
PICS !

Congrats BTW.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
You lucky dog, we need photos. What dealer did you purchase from? Did you get any kind of deal?
Ron

Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Yea, but you have to change your user name now!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.