Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

xpel on door edges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:14 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
xpel on door edges

Did anybody have xpel film applied on door edges ? I got it applied when I bought the car. It was really crooked. I didn’t bother. Now there is lot of dirt. They just cleaned and trimmed the edges (it seems). It still looks bad. I am giving them another chance to fix it or will file warranty claim. Any thoughts ? Here are some pictures.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Collinsjd is on a distinguished road
Typically, high end film shops wrap the edges so the line is invisible when looking at the car.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 PM
estuardo is on a distinguished road
Very sorry to heard, the shop you got the work done should have done a quality control before giving you the car. It looks like a very poor job, I got my whole car cover with Xpel and all high end shops always wrap the edges, here's a pic of my car you can't tell xpel is on at all.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by estuardo
Very sorry to heard, the shop you got the work done should have done a quality control before giving you the car. It looks like a very poor job, I got my whole car cover with Xpel and all high end shops always wrap the edges, here's a pic of my car you can't tell xpel is on at all.
Don't mean to thread hijack, but what is your wheel/tire spec setup? The stance of your cars is perfect

Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 PM
estuardo is on a distinguished road
Fronts are 245/35/20 9" wide and rears 285/30/20 10" wide with 5mm spacer tires are Nitto NT555G2 you can find wheels at the VCollection

Old 09-25-2017, 01:03 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! Can you post a close up of door edges so I can show it to the service manager.

Originally Posted by estuardo

Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Did they only wrap the door edge, maybe to protect the edge from your garage wall?

If that's the case, I'd just remove the film & leave it off.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
They did a substandard job. The film needs to go around the edge. The part you show doesn't even follow the line of the door edge. They should redo it.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:05 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Yes, not a professional job.

You can take a VERY SOFT horsehair brush, Spray wax of any type, and clean that edge. Happens all the time. Use a MF towel and wipe down off of the PPF. You can try a MF towel with spray wax on it first, before the brush, and wipe the length of the PPF rather than down off the edge.

Depending on the initial price or promise of the work, you may be able to warranty it, or get them to reduce it. I know a bunch of PPF installers have quit doing them, due to all the issues people have. Most likely improper install, but was told by one, even installed right, people seemed to get peeling still.

PPF---although the most expensive way to do it, should be wrapped around all edges, even to the point of removing headlights, taillights, side markers, vents, etc......But, a lot of people still use PRE-CUT laser pieces for the panels. This will have issues like yours, but you can see on yours the installer MISS-CUT that piece by hand. I don't like these installs at all, too many issues with installers (using a razor blade next to paint), and having sometimes razor blade cuts on the edges of panels. Thats why getting this job done with the highest cost possible is usually the best way to go. Or, thoroughly vetting the installer by having them show you how they do a panel, and thier process. Same for getting a paint correction done on a car. You must ask all the questions and make them show you what they use and how they are going to do the work.

Its becoming more and more prevalent that people are topping the PPF with coatings or wax. This is to help the PPF stay protected itself, and prevent UV ray from discoloring the plastic. The sticky liquids have all changed now, so should be no discoloring from the underside "glues", but the PPF can, but rarely, change itself.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I use a soft old toothbrush to get into that ridge with a good soapy solution. Have also used a wooden toothpick along the edge.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
I use a soft old toothbrush to get into that ridge with a good soapy solution. Have also used a wooden toothpick along the edge.
ALot of times its wax buildup, so spray wax does the trick. Yes if dirt yours also. But most any toothbrush will scratch, just beware

Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I use a wooden toothpick, and gently start along the seam and pull towards you at an angle. That'll get most of the residue off. For the rest, use a microfiber towel and some detail spray and wipe gently along the seams. I also use a mild liquid compound/polish on the clear film, it takes off some of the oxidation when film ages.

Let whomever wax/polished the car know, when waxing or polishing the film, push the applicator AWAY from the seam, or use painters tape.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
ALot of times its wax buildup, so spray wax does the trick. Yes if dirt yours also. But most any toothbrush will scratch, just beware
I angle the toothbrush so only the edge is touching the film-paint. The rest of the bristles are over the film. Make sure it is a super soft tooth brush.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by mto

Let whomever wax/polished the car know, when waxing or polishing the film, push the applicator AWAY from the seam, or use painters tape.
The tape can be a real pain! I agree with your advice.

I try to keep the wax about an inch from the seam so when it buffed off, enough residue can make it to the seam, yet not be so built up.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
The tape can be a real pain! I agree with your advice.

I try to keep the wax about an inch from the seam so when it buffed off, enough residue can make it to the seam, yet not be so built up.
Just make sure the machine is spinning away from the edge(ie...falling off it) when applying the sealant. Then wipe with MF towel along the edge several times.

Finally use spray wax and MF towel along the edge, then falling off it. You should be perfect doing that. No build up that way.

I practice this when I machine polish the PPF bits, works like a charm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.