Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage 4.7L Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:32 PM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Vantage 4.7L Engine Noise

Just to clarify, I am not referring to intake or exhaust noise. I am interested in hearing your viewpoint of how noisy the top end components (cams, timing chains, whatever) of the V8 4.7L engine are at idle. Do you hear ticking or maybe a very light rattling sound or what? Hood open or closed?

The engine on my MB SL550 was quite quiet, as was the whole car. I know that it is subjective, but how quiet should the engine be after around 15K miles?

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:48 PM
PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
faint ticking (usually at morning cold start ups) with hood closed but no rattling noise. Currently at 11K miles.

Edit: Heard mostly from outside. Inside cabin, can't hear that tapping at all.

Last edited by PK_Vantage; 10-08-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...,09 vantage V8....inside cab...quiet
outside the car with hood closed...quiet
Hood open...normal engine...no clanging

My car has 31800 miles on original clutch-clutch-asm transmission

I hope this helps

Old 10-08-2017, 08:14 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I've listened to several 4.7's and all of them have been a little tappetey on the top end, one had inconsistent clatter on the front which I believe was idler pulley time. But all had the same light clickery clackery under the valve covers.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:37 AM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Thanks all.

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I've listened to several 4.7's and all of them have been a little tappetey on the top end, one had inconsistent clatter on the front which I believe was idler pulley time. But all had the same light clickery clackery under the valve covers.
The noise I am hearing fits with your description of "inconsistent clatter" and seems to be more centralized rather than from one bank or the other. Can you provide a little more information on the idler pulley and what it takes to repair it?

My car is a 2010 and has just been delivered, so I am going through certain "as delivered" issues that I want to see how the seller (Aston Martin dealer) responds to before I comment on their overall service and responsiveness, which has so far been good.

I am comparing this noise vs. the light clicking from my SL550 V8 with the hood open. Its engine component noise was much quieter at 71,000 miles than this car is at 15,000.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:11 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Only my assumption of what I was hearing on that first V8V I was inspecting. After reading here about several having their idler pulleys replaced. It wasn't the consistent sewing machine from the valvetrain, it was the front of the engine.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:37 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I don't know if it's because I never noticed it before. There is somewhat of a light regular ticking-ish sound coming from engine that almost make it sound diesel-ish but not quite. You dont hear it inside rhe car but only standing outside next to the engine. Thing is I had the car pre inspected by two places one at the exotic dealer that had its own service center and gave me the inspection report and another Pre Purchase Inspection done at the Galpin Aston Martin dealer which rated the car in great condition other than the clutch will need replace in the future.

Is anyone in the LA area with a Vantage that perhaps can compare?

Last edited by howzz1854; 04-28-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:12 PM
My new reman engine is much quieter than the original was. At least it was 800 miles ago, I'll have to keep an ear on it.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by howzz1854
I don't know if it's because I never noticed it before. There is somewhat of a light regular ticking-ish sound coming from engine that almost make it sound diesel-ish but not quite. You dont hear it inside rhe car but only standing outside next to the engine. Thing is I had the car pre inspected by two places one at the exotic dealer that had its own service center and gave me the inspection report and another Pre Purchase Inspection done at the Galpin Aston Martin dealer which rated the car in great condition other than the clutch will need replace in the future.

Is anyone in the LA area with a Vantage that perhaps can compare?
I am in Oxnard, I use Galpin as well. PM me if you would like to come up.
Ron

Old 04-29-2018, 01:26 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Haven't had my 4.7 since 2011, but my recollection is that there was a definite mechanical 'thrash' that was audible at low and medium engine speeds, before the exhaust note drowned everything out. Would never have described it as a 'ticking' noise, however.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
I am in Oxnard, I use Galpin as well. PM me if you would like to come up.
Ron
wow, you're far, like 58 mi from me. i'll have to plan this out. will certainly take you up that offer at some point.

and if you're gonna be in town near LA area, maybe lets grab coffee.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by spinecho
Haven't had my 4.7 since 2011, but my recollection is that there was a definite mechanical 'thrash' that was audible at low and medium engine speeds, before the exhaust note drowned everything out. Would never have described it as a 'ticking' noise, however.
yeah, you're right, it does more resemble thrashing thank ticking. like a very consistent faint metal thrash. i guess that's just how these engines sound.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 PM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
I live in LA (Encino) if you want to check mine out.

The clicking youre talking about about is likely the injectors. This is a common sound for almost all modern engines. I do notice that the 4.7 has a bit more valvetrain noise than the 4.3 it replaced. This is resolved by pulling the exhaust flap fuse.

Youre welcome to meet up to check it out.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:31 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I would be wary based on the oil filter problems people on this forum have had. I have a 4.3 with 115k miles and it is quiet as a merc. sedan after five minutes or five hours of driving. One might want to check if oil passages and heads were changed significantly from 4.3 to 4.7.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by oo7
I would be wary based on the oil filter problems people on this forum have had. I have a 4.3 with 115k miles and it is quiet as a merc. sedan after five minutes or five hours of driving. One might want to check if oil passages and heads were changed significantly from 4.3 to 4.7.
I was led to believe this was much more widespread than it is. Mine is the only case known for the US so the odds of a filter imploding are quite slim.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.