Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Twin Turbo thread and build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 PM
pdenmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Twin Turbo thread and build

i spoke to my mechanic and Tuner. They both ave decided on a turbo set up. Is there any interest in this kit? Anybody ever done one? Any tips or notable information worth sharing for those who have tried or looked into it?

2007 Vantage 4.3

Old 10-12-2017, 05:59 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
VelocityAP has some experience with this:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ger-turbo.html

Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by pdenmark
i spoke to my mechanic and Tuner. They both ave decided on a turbo set up. Is there any interest in this kit? Anybody ever done one? Any tips or notable information worth sharing for those who have tried or looked into it?

2007 Vantage 4.3
As we chatted yesterday, I'm still excited for you!
If this works out for a reasonable price. I may need to look into a 4.3l Vantage Roadster soon.

I still think the SC route would fit the characteristic of the Aston engine more but if the setup if too much challenge to implement, TT it is.

Originally Posted by Redpants
VelocityAP has some experience with this:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ger-turbo.html
Not really.
We never heard, seen any running video/Pictures, Dyno or learned if it even runs.
Besides the price for that project was estimated around a used e60 M5.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zettinger
Not really.
We never heard, seen any running video/Pictures, Dyno or learned if it even runs.
Besides the price for that project was estimated around a used e60 M5.
Actually, that's not even remotely true. We have posted several pictures, and several videos of it running, including on the Dyno.

It has actually been 95% completed for basically a year now. I have posted updates in our thread multiple times.

The reason that it stalled out was due to issues to do with the personal circumstances of the owner, and the fact that we were therefore unwilling to spend more of our own time & money until the circumstances were resolved.

Fortunately that has been resolved as of last week, so we will be doing some further work on the dyno to scale the MAF. The preliminary dyno runs on the startup file looked good at around 5.5psi and 102BHP increase from baseline, however the rough MAF calculations were correct in some RPM range but not in the mid-RPM range so it was going leaner than we would like (13+ and pulling a little timing.) We shut it down after a couple of pulls because we had the data we needed.

As far as the cost, yes it's probably $20,000 installed. And yes you could probably buy a used E60 M5 for that price. I can tell you that we have far in excess of that invested in this project, and in order to make it profitably, and make it worth our while compared to developing another Porsche exhaust or McLaren Exhaust then yes it needs to be suitably profitable.

People have no idea how much it costs or how much time it takes to develop and subsequently accurately manufacture something like this. I have to admit it does get my back up when I see post about how $10K is a rip-off because XXX Mustang Turbo kit costs half that, or some of the other comments. I have no skin in the game as of now because we're not selling a kit at this point in time, but you have to ask yourself WHY there isn't a viable kit out there at a budget price, 10 years after the car came out?

The reason is because the market is 1/1000th the size of the other ones being referenced, and the software being one of the hardest parts, every tuner thinks they can do it until they realize that they don't have enough intel on the Aston Computers.

Nobody wants to sink that much time & money into a turbo kit if they are going to sell half a dozen a year and make $2k per kit. Not when those same resources applied elsewhere would earn 10x the return.

That being said, we're hoping to have this kit on the road fairly soon, at which point we will evaluate the production costs & process and decide if we go to market and at what price. I suspect if we do, the first few cars would be done only at VelocityAP HQ before we feel confident enough in the install process to 'kit' form them.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Actually, that's not even remotely true. We have posted several pictures, and several videos of it running, including on the Dyno.

It has actually been 95% completed for basically a year now. I have posted updates in our thread multiple times.

The reason that it stalled out was due to issuesto do with the personal circumstances of the owner, and the fact that we were therefore unwilling to spend more of our own time & money until the circumstances were resolved.

Fortunately that has been resolved as of last week, so we will be doing some further work on the dyno to scale the MAF. The preliminary dyno runs on the startup file looked good at around 5.5psi and 102BHP increase from baseline, however the rough MAF calculations were correct in some RPM range but not in the mid-RPM range so it was going leaner than we would like (13+ and pulling a little timing.) We shut it down after a couple of pulls because we had the data we needed.

As far as the cost, yes it's probably $20,000 installed. And yes you could probably buy a used E60 M5 for that price. I can tell you that we have far in excess of that invested in this project, and in order to make it profitably, and make it worth our while compared to developing another Porsche exhaust or McLaren Exhaust then yes it needs to be suitably profitable.

People have no idea how much it costs or how much time it takes to develop and subsequently accurately manufacture something like this. I have to admit it does get my back up when I see post about how $10K is a rip-off because XXX Mustang Turbo kit costs half that, or some of the other comments. I have no skin in the game as of now because we're not selling a kit at this point in time, but you have to ask yourself WHY there isn't a viable kit out there at a budget price, 10 years after the car came out?

The reason is because the market is 1/1000th the size of the other ones being referenced, and the software being one of the hardest parts, every tuner thinks they can do it until they realize that they don't have enough intel on the Aston Computers.

Nobody wants to sink that much time & money into a turbo kit if they are going to sell half a dozen a year and make $2k per kit. Not when those same resources applied elsewhere would earn 10x the return.

That being said, we're hoping to have this kit on the road fairly soon, at which point we will evaluate the production costs & process and decide if we go to market and at what price. I suspect if we do, the first few cars would be done only at VelocityAP HQ before we feel confident enough in the install process to 'kit' form them.
Would it bother you if I asked for a little information should we need it?

Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Would it bother you if I asked for a little information should we need it?
Not at all. Depending upon what it is and whether we decide to offer our kit for sale in the future you understand that there may be some information we're not willing to provide but we're pretty open book for the most part.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I thank you for your work and effort, and would have no problem spending that on the Aston to gain the performance and have some comfort that the testing and your knowledge and experience would help reliability.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I thank you for your work and effort, and would have no problem spending that on the Aston to gain the performance and have some comfort that the testing and your knowledge and experience would help reliability.
No worries. Sorry I guess I went off on one. It's just frustrating - I basically financed this entire build, and it's not even the big stuff that I think about it's things like - this bracket has to be altered, we have to therefor make a fixture, pattern and instruction list to do this perfectly... x 10 or 20 things. There's $6,500 of turbos, wastegates & diverters on this thing before you even start fabricating. 2 Headers, 2 up pipes, 2 downpipes, all the intercooler charge piping, bypass piping, bracket alteration, mounting brackets.... It all adds up very quickly, especially if you want good quality turbos, WG etc.

Anyway. Hopefully I can post some dyno data and some driving videos soon. We were at 287 before up to 365WHP on the Superflow, with the fuel & timing out of whack. I think that would go to about 375WHP with those smoothed out. And then if we bump the WG spring up 1 psi, should be then making about 6-6.5PSI in the intake and we should have 385-390WHP.

Bearing in mind that we baselined a stock F-Type R on the same dyno at 424WHP and an M6 Gran Coupe with Competition Package at 485WHP. This dyno is a heartbreaker.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 PM
No worries. Sorry I guess I went off on one. It's just frustrating - I basically financed this entire build, and it's not even the big stuff that I think about it's things like - this bracket has to be altered, we have to therefor make a fixture, pattern and instruction list to do this perfectly... x 10 or 20 things. There's $6,500 of turbos, wastegates & diverters on this thing before you even start fabricating. 2 Headers, 2 up pipes, 2 downpipes, all the intercooler charge piping, bypass piping, bracket alteration, mounting brackets.... It all adds up very quickly, especially if you want good quality turbos, WG etc.

Anyway. Hopefully I can post some dyno data and some driving videos soon. We were at 287 before up to 365WHP on the Superflow, with the fuel & timing out of whack. I think that would go to about 375WHP with those smoothed out. And then if we bump the WG spring up 1 psi, should be then making about 6-6.5PSI in the intake and we should have 385-390WHP.

Bearing in mind that we baselined a stock F-Type R on the same dyno at 424WHP and an M6 Gran Coupe with Competition Package at 485WHP. This dyno is a heartbreaker.

pm sent

Old 10-12-2017, 08:27 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough

2007 Vantage 4.3
What local tuner are you using. I’ve had my vantage for 6 years in the Dallas area and few shops outside of Aston will touch it. I tried Autoscope for a while and ended up having to use Aston to fix the issues they created. Love to see what you do the with the v8v

Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by jmargolese
What local tuner are you using. I’ve had my vantage for 6 years in the Dallas area and few shops outside of Aston will touch it. I tried Autoscope for a while and ended up having to use Aston to fix the issues they created. Love to see what you do the with the v8v
Tuner isn’t local, my mechanic is in Fort Worth.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Actually, that's not even remotely true. We have posted several pictures, and several videos of it running, including on the Dyno..
sorry when I ticket you off.

the last Info I read was
Originally Posted by LALEX1
Any updates on the twin turbo kit?
Originally Posted by deckman
I've given up on this.
I have a time frame for resolving some things with the owner that we have agreed will be the end of this month. Depending upon how that pans out, we will then be able to finish up the tuning work, and assess the viability of the kit commercially. I will probably discuss that here to get some perspective from owners & prospective buyers.
around half a year ago.

I understand that there is no 4k Supercharger or turbo kit for an low production Aston Martin.

I love to waste money on my cars, even for useless stuff.
$20k, with an 380 WHP goal, just makes no economical, nor emotional sense.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:30 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Stuart

I assume you considered superchargering as an option before deciding to pursue turbocharging.
What were the reasons? Seems supercharging should present less problems with packaging.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Valves

Not at all. Depending upon what it is and whether we decide to offer our kit for sale in the future you understand that there may be some information we're not willing to provide but we're pretty open book for the most part.
looking to buy some from you. Give me a ring 469-866-3883

Old 10-19-2017, 01:37 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
What is the WHP on a stock 4.7? Getting another 100HP on my Vantage would be plenty for me. $20k is still only half the difference of getting to a used V12 with manual as I have no interest in the SMG uh I mean ASM. I'd probably be in for that amount.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.