Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Driving V8 DB11 tomorrow. Anything you want to know?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Andrew Chenievel is a jewel in the roughAndrew Chenievel is a jewel in the roughAndrew Chenievel is a jewel in the rough
Driving V8 DB11 tomorrow. Anything you want to know?

Hi, all!

I've been invited by Aston Martin to experience the new V8 DB11 for a day. Is there anything in particular you wanted me to explore?

I can post my findings here, and will also be writing an article for 6Speed's front page.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
the reports i've read / viewed suggest it is much more sporty than the V12, although still a GT. how does it compare to a Vantage when driving fast on twisty roads

thanks

Graeme

Old 10-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Andrew Chenievel is a jewel in the roughAndrew Chenievel is a jewel in the roughAndrew Chenievel is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Graze
the reports i've read / viewed suggest it is much more sporty than the V12, although still a GT. how does it compare to a Vantage when driving fast on twisty roads

thanks

Graeme
Thanks, Graeme! I'm wondering that too -- Did they re-balance the dynamics due to less weight from the V8? We're scheduled to drive through twisties tomorrow, and I've driven the Vantage GT before. I'll report back soon!

Old 10-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Andrew

I understand the revised weight & distribution has meant adjusted dampers & springs - so have fun

Graeme

Old 10-25-2017, 01:27 PM
AWV12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hijack your post, but also test drove the DB11 V8 Coupe yesterday and I was impressed: much more emotion (sound, steering, involvement, etc) than the DB11 V12. Not as emotional as the N/A V12 in the previous (DBS/Vqs) models though, but the V8 is very involving, and has a very direct gas response, despite the turbo's. Very agile, more than you expect for such a car.

Test drove an AMG GTC Roadster a few weeks ago, and the sound is certainly comparable/recognizabe, but little less rough (more civilised). Driving is totally different, since the AMG GTC Roadster is more like a kart, the DB11 V8 more a GT. Would never use the AMG GTC as a daily driver, the DB11 is perfeclty suited for that.

In Sport+ mode it is really exciting, more sound, especially on the downshifts, directer gas response, and more revs before (faster) shifting. In Comfort it becomes a very relaxing cruiser, very accessible for every driver.

The tech / safety systems are finally on par with German cars in this class (except for adaptive cruise control), and if you drive a modern Mercedes you will recognize the control and voice of the navi :-)

Even when at the same price, I would seriously consider the V8 over the V12 (but would certainly not trade in my DBS with N/A V12 for it :-))

Also did see a DB11 V8 Volante on display in real life (pre production model): Ultramarine blue with blue softtop, very stylish.

Car looks much smaller than the DB9/DBS Volante. The good news is that it has NO small side windows on the front (like the Vanquish Volante and the Vantage Roadstet have), so more DB9/DBS like as a Volante, but more inner space, also in the back (only for children, but still).

Front windshield is not disturbing when driving topless (like it is in the Maser GranCabrio, terrible design flaw) and next to the RR Dawn and the Mercer S class cabrio, it is one of the few convertibles with double glass on the side window (=very silent when driving with the roof closed).

Last edited by AWV12; 10-25-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Looks like we both came to the same conclusion!

You can read my impressions here: https://www.6speedonline.com/article...n-martin-db11/

Originally Posted by AWV12
Sorry to hijack your post, but also test drove the DB11 V8 Coupe yesterday and I was impressed: much more emotion (sound, steering, involvement, etc) than the DB11 V12. Not as emotional as the N/A V12 in the previous (DBS/Vqs) models though, but the V8 is very involving, and has a very direct gas response, despite the turbo's. Very agile, more than you expect for such a car.

Test drove an AMG GTC Roadster a few weeks ago, and the sound is certainly comparable/recognizabe, but little less rough (more civilised). Driving is totally different, since the AMG GTC Roadster is more like a kart, the DB11 V8 more a GT. Would never use the AMG GTC as a daily driver, the DB11 is perfeclty suited for that.

In Sport+ mode it is really exciting, more sound, especially on the downshifts, directer gas response, and more revs before (faster) shifting. In Comfort it becomes a very relaxing cruiser, very accessible for every driver.

The tech / safety systems are finally on par with German cars in this class (except for adaptive cruise control), and if you drive a modern Mercedes you will recognize the control and voice of the navi :-)

Even when at the same price, I would seriously consider the V8 over the V12 (but would certainly not trade in my DBS with N/A V12 for it :-))

Also did see a DB11 V8 Volante on display in real life (pre production model): Ultramarine blue with blue softtop, very stylish.

Car looks much smaller than the DB9/DBS Volante. The good news is that it has NO small side windows on the front (like the Vanquish Volante and the Vantage Roadstet have), so more DB9/DBS like as a Volante, but more inner space, also in the back (only for children, but still).

Front windshield is not disturbing when driving topless (like it is in the Maser GranCabrio, terrible design flaw) and next to the RR Dawn and the Mercer S class cabrio, it is one of the few convertibles with double glass on the side window (=very silent when driving with the roof closed).

Old 10-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Graeme,

I published my impressions on V8 DB11! Please read them here: https://www.6speedonline.com/article...n-martin-db11/

Andrew

I understand the revised weight & distribution has meant adjusted dampers & springs - so have fun

Graeme

Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 AM
Thanks Andrew

Sounds like it's a great all round car

Graze

Old 10-29-2017, 01:57 PM
It totally is! Some of the other reviewers (including my driving partner) had minor complaints about a reflection in the windshield from the light-colored dashboard, but I didn't really notice it. Maybe because I was wearing polarized sunglasses or my seating angle was different?

I really appreciate this car because the bulk of its performance features are in a range that you can take advantage of on a daily basis.

Thanks again for checking out my review!

Thanks Andrew

Sounds like it's a great all round car

Graze

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.