Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

NEW Vantage Unveiled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 12:30 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Having not even thought about it for weeks, seeing it again is not the shock it was, and I can admit a lot of it is sharp, and what was distracting is becoming less so because it's no longer shocking to see it

Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Anybody else notice the volume of water getting blown out of the exhaust in those clips?

Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for posting the video. I think it was well done, lots of info.
Ron

Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Nice review. , but front end still not growing on me. It's the Opposite for me. I'm hating that front end more now.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:10 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 007JB
Nice review. , but front end still not growing on me. It's the Opposite for me. I'm hating that front end more now.
Yup. That front end truly is vile. I just can't fathom how management would think: "Yeah, that looks great! Let's sign off on it!"

As for the review, sorry, I don't think much of it. Basically an extended lecture on reasons why we should like the car, as if we need to be educated to like it, and are just ignorant if we don't.

He lost me within the first minute with the comment that the previous Vantage didn't do enough to distinguish itself from the rest of the Aston Martin fleet. Well why would it? It and the rest of the Bez era cars were gorgeous! If Reichmann's goal was to set the current Vantage apart from the rest of the fleet, he has succeeded completely: it's the only butt ugly car in the range!

Finally, how can the dealership and Aston corporate keep allowing images and video of this car to be published on the web: the misaligned side panels are an embarassment for any 21st century car company, never mind one whose reputation is so linked with image.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by davidm17
Air from the turbos still has to go through the intercoolers so it's not like having the turbos in the V means air goes straight into the motor. Short piping is mainly due to where the intercoolers are placed.
Not exactly. The point is to get them as close to the cylinders as possible so that the exhaust gasses are as hot as possible when they are spooling the turbo. The further the turbo is from the combustion chamber, the more the gasses will have cooled by the time they reach the turbo, thus increasing lag.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:28 PM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
The looks have grown on me, although the headlights still look out of proportion. I still love Aston Martin as a brand, but I can't say the new Vantage will be my next car. Spec'd to be similar to my current Vantage S, my spec hits 185K before title and Tax (9.25%). So really, its a 200K spec. I can't stomach losing 40-45% of the car's value over 2 years, even with keeping miles low. I was holding out for this new car, thinking I'd re-up with Aston, but at this point my fun car strategy is to part with my current Aston, lease something else for a bit, and maybe re-enter the brand in 3 years time when there are some good 2 year old, slightly used examples, or a face lifted mid cycle car that addresses some of the less favorable design cues. Bummer...

Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mathman85
Not exactly. The point is to get them as close to the cylinders as possible so that the exhaust gasses are as hot as possible when they are spooling the turbo. The further the turbo is from the combustion chamber, the more the gasses will have cooled by the time they reach the turbo, thus increasing lag.
I haven't looked at every V engine with twin turbos, but a lot of times the turbos are part of the exhaust manifold; just normally on the outside of the motor. My 1995 300ZX TT had the turbos this way. So the turbos are just as close to the motor as with the hot-V configuration. Single turbos on a boxer motor, like my STi, make for longer plumbing.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Looking at this, I think I know why the new car doesn't match the beauty of the original...Fisker left

Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by davidm17
I haven't looked at every V engine with twin turbos, but a lot of times the turbos are part of the exhaust manifold; just normally on the outside of the motor. My 1995 300ZX TT had the turbos this way. So the turbos are just as close to the motor as with the hot-V configuration. Single turbos on a boxer motor, like my STi, make for longer plumbing.
Having the turbos inside the V makes sure less heat escapes before them than having the turbos outside the V, as they are on the Z32TT (and every twin turbo V engine I've ever seen). (I meant to include that point in my original post. It is true that they aren't necessarily closer than having them on the outside of the V, that thought just escaped my mind as I was posting.)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...nes-explained/

Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I don't really like turbo charged cars, but it's going to be on almost every new car going forward except electrics of course. I don't like the lag (can be dangerous even), generally don't like the sound, and HATE all the plumbing. Trying to chase down leaks is an art into itself. But they are fast.

Originally Posted by Mathman85
Having the turbos inside the V makes sure less heat escapes before them than having the turbos outside the V, as they are on the Z32TT (and every twin turbo V engine I've ever seen). (I meant to include that point in my original post. It is true that they aren't necessarily closer than having them on the outside of the V, that thought just escaped my mind as I was posting.)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...nes-explained/

Old 01-14-2018, 01:14 PM
AWV12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did see the new V8 Vantage in real life too one week ago, and..............I am not impressed.

It totally does NOT give you the feeling it is an Aston Martin. It is not stylisch and understated anymore. This concerns both the outside (no consistent design, the front is too weak) and the inside (too much Focus RS / Audi TT imho). Probably a car ment only for the "new markets"?

I remember the first time I did see the previous V8 Vantage in real life and I was impressed and did want to buy it for sure (as I did, and enjoyed it for more than 5 years, now I enjoy my DBS).

There was also a Vanquish Zagato Volante present (ready for delivery), not a fan of the Zagato's, but more stylish than the new V8 Vantage imho.

Let's hope the new DBS/Vanquish later this year will make up for it!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:53 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
this guy who isn't a tosser is going to have one for 3 months, some tidbits in his video

april 11th is embargo on driving impressions, so we will get a lot of articles then on how it drives

some interesting specs shown in the video too, the one he's in is white with black and neon accents, and he shows one in china grey at the Geneva show that looks amazing

Last edited by sonies; 03-14-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:40 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Initially, I was not sold but it's growing on me... heh heh...

Old 03-15-2018, 04:39 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Initially, I was not sold but it's growing on me... heh heh...
Me too

I spent some time on the configurator and ended up with a white one

Can't wait to see one live and read the reviews on how well it drives

Graze

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.