Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

NEW Vantage Unveiled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:02 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
I still think its a shame this is a somewhat poorly re-bodied Mercedes AMG GT Powertrain. (same heart as its direct competitor... which with a Mercedes badge is cheaper).. I know AMG makes a great engine but its like putting Ferrari motors in the next gen Lambo. Just isn't sitting right with me. (But somehow I was fine with the Audi/Lambo cross pollination when they merged. Go figure. Probably because I'd like someday to have a used Lambo that runs well. I digress. )

Oh and I almost forgot... Now the vantage is also related to the AMG GT's porky big sister with 4 doors. Amazing they managed to perfectly copy the original Panamera's worst part.. the back.

Did an AM and a GT hook up on some European vacation... and come back with weird looking kids?

its on an entirely different chassis than the AMG GT, the chassis is 100% Aston... just the engine and infotainment are AMG/benz parts

do you care that Pagani or Zonda use AMG engines? Or Spyker using an Audi engine? Or the McLaren F1 using a BMW engine? Or an Evora using a Toyota Camry engine? I don't! That 4LTT is a frickin BEAST and a worthy engine to throw in a car like an aston

Our v8 vantage engine is derived from a variation of an old Ford engine... ALSO ASSEMBLED IN GERMANY!

Last edited by sonies; 04-11-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:54 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sonies
its on an entirely different chassis than the AMG GT, the chassis is 100% Aston... just the engine and infotainment are AMG/benz parts

do you care that Pagani or Zonda use AMG engines? Or Spyker using an Audi engine? Or the McLaren F1 using a BMW engine? Or an Evora using a Toyota Camry engine? I don't! That 4LTT is a frickin BEAST and a worthy engine to throw in a car like an aston

Our v8 vantage engine is derived from a variation of an old Ford engine... ALSO ASSEMBLED IN GERMANY!
+1 When was the last true Aston designed engine? Probably before I was born.

My issue is more with the growth of the car. Just because the 911 has grown to a truly large car doesn't mean the Vantage had to as well. To keep is proportionally pleasing they then had to widen the car by 2 1/2 inches. It makes the car harder to place and less rewarding to drive. This and the loss of classic styling are the shames for me. I hope is sells well none the less, it just won't be me buying one.

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-11-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:47 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by blue2000s
+1 When was the last true Aston designed engine? Probably before I was born.

My issue is more with the growth of the car. Just because the 911 has grown to a truly large car doesn't mean the Vantage had to as well. To keep is proportionally pleasing they then had to widen the car by 2 1/2 inches. It makes the car harder to place and less rewarding to drive. This and the loss of classic styling are the shames for me. I hope is sells well none the less, it just won't be me buying one.
well its 4" longer and 2" wider than the prior generation vantage

and comparing the new vantage to the widest and largest 991 (turbo and gt3) its 3" shorter and 2" wider

Old 04-11-2018, 01:58 PM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spinecho
those headlights...
Most definitely this! I'm in the same boat as many other current/recent owners in that I hope it sells well, I love the brand, it just won't be me buying one until a manual and a face lift happen. Even then, I struggle to accept the increase in cost on the Vantage taking into account some of the materials that appear to have gone the cheaper route (tail pipe finishing, some of the interior plastics and surfaces, grill material, etc).

Old 04-11-2018, 03:54 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
well its 4" longer and 2" wider than the prior generation vantage
A move in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:02 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
+1. Absolutely. They're looking to tap in to young generation market(it's a boys car). NOT A GENTS car anymore..

Old 04-12-2018, 08:09 AM
well all cars have to essentially get bigger due to safety standards and all that

I'm ok with not dying when I get hit by a stupid driver in a SUV texting and driving

Old 04-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The reason they sold 20,000+/- Vantages was that it was an ELEGANT sports car that gave those a different choice other than Porsche 911 or in your face Ferrari or Lambo. Yes it got old somewhat, but they could have easily supercharged the V8 to give it new life with some minor tweaks - but they did not. This new 'boys toy' is simply weird for weird sake. The interior sucks - even worse than the AMG GT which is odd. You want classy - Mercedes new interiors are elegant and even their cheapest models will have that dual wide screen and elegant trim that is well coordinated. The engine is no issue to me, but the hood when opened is nothing to look at but a sea of plastic ugly, the current Vantages (V8 and V12) are impressive when opened. The clamshell hood that is hinged from the rear instead of the front (like the DB11) is un-cool, as well as the large gaps. The rear tail light, and larger wheels that now fill the wells properly are the ONLY bits I actually like about the new Vantage. Time will tell, but the current Vantages were unique - the ONLY truly elegant sports car - no mare, not Aston's competing with the 'in-your-face' competitors, or perhaps will sell more DB11's because of the change over.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:58 AM
well all cars have to essentially get bigger due to safety standards and all that
Absolutely not true.

I'm ok with not dying when I get hit by a stupid driver in a SUV texting and driving
Pay attention to what you're doing and you can avoid most accidents.

Our problem isn't that our cars aren't safe enough. Our problem is that we don't have the training to understand that while driving, there is nothing else more important to pay attention to.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Absolutely not true.

Pay attention to what you're doing and you can avoid most accidents.

Our problem isn't that our cars aren't safe enough. Our problem is that we don't have the training to understand that while driving, there is nothing else more important to pay attention to.

why are cars getting bigger then...

and yeah no **** I'm talking about other idiots on the road not doing what they are supposed to be doing

Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
It's going to take time for people to warm up to the new Vantage if they are not fan already. Time does a lot to change an initial perception.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Demand - we want more space. Without going into the physics of momentum, suffice to say that there are plenty of very small cars on sale in 2018 that can pass safety requirements.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
It's going to take time for people to warm up to the new Vantage if they are not fan already. Time does a lot to change an initial perception.
The initial reception to the DB11 here was also very MEH, but they are evidently selling quite a lot of them. The numbers of them in for service usually equal any other model and they've only been out for a year. But then I'm told they have a lot of electrical problems and that may be why there are many in for service.

Demand - we want more space. Without going into the physics of momentum, suffice to say that there are plenty of very small cars on sale in 2018 that can pass safety requirements.
IIRC the Vantage could never pass US side impact restrictions and was granted an exemption which finally ran out and was more an impetus of the new car as was time. I could be very wrong, I'm experiencing too much CRS lately [can't remember ****]

Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
IIRC the Vantage could never pass US side impact restrictions and was granted an exemption which finally ran out and was more an impetus of the new car as was time. I could be very wrong, I'm experiencing too much CRS lately [can't remember ****]
This very well may be true, but it is a design issue (as the car was not designed to meet the requirement in the first place) than anything to do with the size of the car.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:52 AM

I want to elaborate on this a little. It's also a marketing strategy. Look at the BMW 3 series as an example. Every generation of that car gets bigger and bigger. it also gets more expensive and profitable. Someone loyal to BMW is going to continue to buy the 3 series and pay the extra for the new generation. More profit. This evolves to the point where the 3 series is the size that the 5 series was 10 years before. To make up for vacuum in the entry segment, the 2 series is introduced, which happens to be the size of the 3 series from 10 years before. Very few models don't grow with generational changes. It's marketing, not safety requirements.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.