Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Jacking up DB9 for quick oil change

Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
Jacking up DB9 for quick oil change

Quick question about jacking a DB9. So I just want to do a fast oil change before winter ( 3000 miles on oil and I'm a little fanatical about maintenance). I just want to be able to get under the car enough to get the drain plug without removing the front under tray. If i jack it up from one of the two forward jacking points, is that ok or do I have to completely lift each side of the car and support all 4 points with jackstands. I know it's safer doing it with all 4 wheels off the ground but I just want to change the oil quick and not make a production out of it. I guess my main concern is would lifting this car like that tweak or twist anything it's not supposed to.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I find that it's hard to put these cars on 4 jack stands. In the interest of not working under a car held up by just a jack, when I change the oil on my car, I lift up each corner, put that corner on a wheel stand (in my case, I use a rhino ramp) and then change the oil. The car is then totally stable and flat. It takes less than 10 minutes.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I find that it's hard to put these cars on 4 jack stands. In the interest of not working under a car held up by just a jack, when I change the oil on my car, I lift up each corner, put that corner on a wheel stand (in my case, I use a rhino ramp) and then change the oil. The car is then totally stable and flat. It takes less than 10 minutes.
I was thinking of doing this too. I have a set of ramps that aren't low enough to drive up on but jacking up the car and putting the wheels down on them will definenty work. Glad to hear someone else doing this!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
I think if I were going to do that and leave the car in the air for more than just a few minutes I would use two jacks and jack up the entire side of the car from the front and back points so that it had support at both ends. That obviously assumes you have two jacks. However, I wouldn't get under a car without jackstands. Jacks do fail. You could jack up the car in the center of the side using something to spread the load and then put jackstands under the jack points. There's a how-to on Redpants' site for jacking up a Vantage and you could do something similar.

If I were you I would just go to home depot and get some 2x10 boards and build a couple low profile ramps. Make a stairstep three boards high and you'll have enough room under the front of the car to change the oil or whatever. I built some ramps for a previous car and haven't used them on the Vantage yet, but they should work. You just need to make sure you make the stairsteps long enough to clear the front splitter/valence. If you have your design and measurements beforehand you can even get the boards cut at hd.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:23 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Chris P
Quick question about jacking a DB9. So I just want to do a fast oil change before winter ( 3000 miles on oil and I'm a little fanatical about maintenance). I just want to be able to get under the car enough to get the drain plug without removing the front under tray. If i jack it up from one of the two forward jacking points, is that ok or do I have to completely lift each side of the car and support all 4 points with jackstands. I know it's safer doing it with all 4 wheels off the ground but I just want to change the oil quick and not make a production out of it. I guess my main concern is would lifting this car like that tweak or twist anything it's not supposed to.

Thanks
BTW, I only got 1000 miles on my Vantage this year and still changed the oil when I put it away for the winter, so I get fanatical

Old 12-05-2017, 12:30 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
No filter change?

Old 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
No filter change?
Absolutely! Thought that was a given.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You said quick, and no removal of the front tray.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by davidm17
I think if I were going to do that and leave the car in the air for more than just a few minutes I would use two jacks and jack up the entire side of the car from the front and back points so that it had support at both ends. That obviously assumes you have two jacks. However, I wouldn't get under a car without jackstands. Jacks do fail. You could jack up the car in the center of the side using something to spread the load and then put jackstands under the jack points. There's a how-to on Redpants' site for jacking up a Vantage and you could do something similar.

If I were you I would just go to home depot and get some 2x10 boards and build a couple low profile ramps. Make a stairstep three boards high and you'll have enough room under the front of the car to change the oil or whatever. I built some ramps for a previous car and haven't used them on the Vantage yet, but they should work. You just need to make sure you make the stairsteps long enough to clear the front splitter/valence. If you have your design and measurements beforehand you can even get the boards cut at hd.
Pretty good idea. I was even looking at modified car trailer that has front and rear stabilizing legs someone put on to use it as an elevated work platform (redneck car lift)!

My main concern is lifting one corner of the car at a time rather than the whole side. I'm afraid in doing so might twist it is a way that's not good for a DB9. Most cars I wouldn't even think twice about this. But I can't be too careful with this one.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You said quick, and no removal of the front tray.
Yes. Or at least that's what I was planning on.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:38 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold

My main concern is lifting one corner of the car at a time rather than the whole side. I'm afraid in doing so might twist it is a way that's not good for a DB9. Most cars I wouldn't even think twice about this. But I can't be too careful with this one.
Car is designed to lift on one side at the proper lift point. Check your manual, it might specify that the undertray should not be removed until both side are on jackstands.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Pretty good idea. I was even looking at modified car trailer that has front and rear stabilizing legs someone put on to use it as an elevated work platform (redneck car lift)!

It does no harm to lift one corner of the car.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
If you do not remove the undertray you are going to have one heck of a mess that will drip for a long time after you are done.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Get some low profile 2 piece race ramps

Old 12-06-2017, 05:27 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
The service manual specifies not to remove the stiffener that is on the transmission tunnel without supporting all 4 sides of the vehicle. I didn't see anything about undertray, so that should be safe.

My preference has been to either drive or lift the car onto ramps, which gives enough clearance to crawl under the car. (I really, really need a lift though....)

Matt

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.