Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MRCW
Glad you were able to get this resolved! My engine was replaced in my Porsche Boxster... the dreaded IMS failure. Porsche furnished a new long block and dealer did the rest of the accessories and install... All together it was 2 weeks ( after porsche agreed to replace) it had over 45,000 miles on the new engine when i recently sold it... not a hiccup
One thing I noticed so far is this one is very quiet. The original was a little clackety in the valvetrain, I was told it was about average. This one seems much quieter from the couple seconds I listened. I'll spend a little more time tomorrow listening, washing, and wax on/wax off, it'll be almost 70!

I would love to get 45,000 out of it without hiccups, I'd like to get 450 without a hiccup! I definitely won't be able to see if the bogging is still there until I can smash my foot on the floor, but it was rock solid on idle today, and in stop and go gridlock that usually fluctuates a bit.

Originally Posted by Aldv
Hey HO...the best to you!!! I bet you can finally walk straight as all the stress is lifting off your shoulders...

​​​​​​Enjoy...enjoy..
enjoy!!!!
The stress was alleviated once they approved the replacement, the absolute worst part was the week it took them to decide to cover it. But I'm still not in love with losing the original block. And the new oil reservoir does not have the oil temperature sensor on the bottom of it with the wiring, which plugged into a now open plug right on the front left side you see very easily which makes it look like something is missing. It took them a day to get an answer from England, it was designed into the package but never activated in the Vantage, so on any replacement tank it's just not there.

How much does it matter these days if an engine has been replaced? I know what it means if the car is 50 years old!
Originally Posted by 007V8Vantage
Glad to see you are back on the road with it already.
Enjoy!
Considering the size of the marque and the relative difficulty to get parts fast in the US, it really wasn't that long a wait. Just a hair over 6 weeks. Long enough to run up a $2000 rental tab. It's amazing how complicated it is to to replace though!

Old 03-29-2018, 06:57 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
$2000 rental charge isn't chump change... did Aston cover it?

When my daughter's BMW had the recent airbag recall, i jumped on it quick and arranged for BWM to provide a replacement car... granted her car is only a 2013 X1 35i, but BMW put us in a brand new 5 series rental from Enterprise for about 7 to 8 weeks... the bill was about $3200 a month!

Needless to say, it forced BMW to get her car fixed sooner rather than later. .i know folks who waited 12 months for replacement airbags...

Last edited by MRCW; 03-29-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Well, that eliminates a Florida drive to see some friends just to get the break in out of the way LOL I haven't been able to sit at any rev range yet, nothing but stop and go traffic coming home, but I will definitely try and avoid it. 500 should go by pretty fast, I hope, I've always broken all new cars in correctly but it's always tough being restrained!

Beautiful, AND it drives again. Honestly I was very unsure about the color watching it on ebay for a month. It was a light color and all the other boxes checked, but no matter how much I researched Mako there was no way I could buy it without seeing it in person. It seems to be an extremely popular color in the UK, probably because it's usually cloudy like today where it throws off shades of gold and purple on the fringes of the flop, Americans seemed to be more ambivalent, but if I'm not being ask "what is it?", the second most common thing I hear is "I love that color". I've never seen Glacier in person but it's stunning in pictures.
I would say, go on your trip to Florida, just very your speed and gear. Don't use cruise control. I have done that with new cars in the past. Drive at 70 mph for a bit, then 80 mph for a while, or just drop down to 5 th at same speed. It will all work just fine.
Ron

Old 03-29-2018, 09:25 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
One thing I noticed so far is this one is very quiet. The original was a little clackety in the valvetrain,

I would love to get 45,000 out of it without hiccups, I'd like to get 450 without a hiccup! I definitely won't be able to see if the bogging is still there until I can smash my foot on the floor, but it was rock solid on idle today, and in stop and go gridlock that usually fluctuates a bit.
Interesting... mine goes clackity clack too at idle, sounds like a pickup truck sort of lol

Isn't bogging when smashing the gas just the clutch or the traction control going off?

btw glad to see your beautiful blue ride is back on the streets!

Old 03-29-2018, 01:37 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MRCW
$2000 rental charge isn't chump change... did Aston cover it?

When my daughter's BMW had the recent airbag recall, i jumped on it quick and arranged for BWM to provide a replacement car... granted her car is only a 2013 X1 35i, but BMW put us in a brand new 5 series rental from Enterprise for about 7 to 8 weeks... the bill was about $3200 a month!

Needless to say, it forced BMW to get her car fixed sooner rather than later. .i know folks who waited 12 months for replacement airbags...

They didn't, it was a "I'm not sure they'll cover the rental on this" right after she told me they were covering the engine and at that time I really didn't care about the rental because of the elephant that had just fallen off my chest. After learning more, they should have covered it but I'm not going to press the point. I still need them to get the hiccup cured so in good faith and appreciation I'll graciously eat it.
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
I would say, go on your trip to Florida, just very your speed and gear. Don't use cruise control. I have done that with new cars in the past. Drive at 70 mph for a bit, then 80 mph for a while, or just drop down to 5 th at same speed. It will all work just fine.
Ron
That was a bit tongue in cheek. They've been bugging me to come down, I also need to make a trip to OK, but now isn't a good time, I'm not sure there ever is good timing when you're a sole proprietor. I haven't had a vacation in 5 years, which was meeting my grandkids at Disney for a day. Although it was 3 overall as I got a round of golf in with my sister and one with my best friend.
Originally Posted by sonies
Interesting... mine goes clackity clack too at idle, sounds like a pickup truck sort of lol

Isn't bogging when smashing the gas just the clutch or the traction control going off?

btw glad to see your beautiful blue ride is back on the streets!
I just started it to listen only, and it's much closer to Singer than Mack!

Normally that sudden brake feel would be TC but I never, [maybe a trip around the corner once a month], drive with TC on. The first thing I do after I put it in reverse is push the button to turn it off. I wouldn't recommend it for everybody, but I would recommend it

Old 03-30-2018, 11:09 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Good deal. Glad you got it back on the road. Curious to see how the motor behaves over the next few months.