Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Mathman85
Do modern cars even stamp the VIN on the engine? I thought that practice died out decades ago.
Sorry I meant to say engine serial number, which it definitely has. VIN stands for Vehicle Identification number. Aston knows what engine a chassis came with for theft and authenticity reasons just like they know what options and colours it had from the factory. Page 239 of the Grant Neal buyer's guide book explains it well. The number is left side near rear of block. First row is engine code followed by a five digit serial. For example an early 4.7 could read :
AM07 / 01234

Edit to add "it doesn't matter to me what H.O.'s opinion on matching numbers is, but I bet he will have one to satisfy my curiosity!"

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 03-14-2018 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 007V8Vantage
I'm happy you got a new "free" engine but sad your Vantage is no longer numbers matching.
Hopefully you will be able to keep the original block with the car (just in case) for a future owner to decide.

If not maybe you don't care about such things anyways, causing no harm, no foul. Many buyers would prefer a new engine over matching VIn's especially if it saved them money on the purchase price.

If you never sell the car also a complete non issue.
Wondering what your thoughts are on the subject...
Highly understand your concern with numbers matching. But the Vantages were or area so massively produced that even in 30 years it likely wont make any difference. Maybe on a 5k mile garage queen in 30 years yes, but a driven one no.

Same for DB9s. The Vanquish or very very very low model special editions are likely the last of the value keepers. ie....the old early 2000 Vanquishes.

Some rare limited option Db9s, DBS, are possible to just hold value. IMHO

Old 03-14-2018, 12:42 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
The shocks were weeping a hair, I'm not sure it's worth holding up the install, I don't think shocks are that tough an installation. It already had a stock clutch put back in 2000 miles ago, I was going to have regular 10,000 mile service, I'm not sure what is not covered by the engine replacement. I'm sure they'll use new coolant, it should have fresh oil, brake lines are disconnected so I imagine that's half done, but I was planning on asking.
I am really happy for you to have this not be a catostrophic financial burden. Aside from that, I am extremely concerned with changing my own oil using AM filters. I have 4 now. Its just that obviously possibly 1 off situation. It would financially ruin me, and likely alot of members here. So the 1.2k cost of annual service seems almost like a small warranty so to speak.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
No, I am not happy to lose the original block, I've been asking everybody if there is any way I can keep it. It will come down to if AM is going to require it back to do a post mortem or if they have enough data already and don't need another. Since the block "might" be the only part of the engine still good they may not want it back for the expense of returning it to Cologne for reman, and in that case they would require a scrap receipt to refund the core charge. If that happens I have a chance to get my block, if they want it back for post mortem the expense in getting it back would be far too high. The core charge alone is $15,000 so that's not exactly viable either.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Wow, missed a bunch of replies [not getting the emails].

The engine number is actually at the top of the cars original window sticker, It's pretty easy to tell it's not original, and the fact it will say "engine replaced" on the Carfax would be a big tip it wasn't original, if I could save the block or not. You can also tell by looking at the intake manifold it's been acid dipped or something, it does not have the same look as a non reman intake.

Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I am really happy for you to have this not be a catostrophic financial burden. Aside from that, I am extremely concerned with changing my own oil using AM filters. I have 4 now. Its just that obviously possibly 1 off situation. It would financially ruin me, and likely alot of members here. So the 1.2k cost of annual service seems almost like a small warranty so to speak.
That was why I was recommending doing the service at the dealer, if possible. I know if you live 500 miles from the closest AM service department shipping a car for an oil change just seems crazy, and my solution would be for AM to "authorize" certain Jag and LR dealers to do factory authorized service on their cars because there may not be an AM dealer for 1000 miles but there will be a Jag dealer a whole lot closer.

But if you live close enough it doesn't make any sense taking the risk and not having it dealer serviced.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
If it's the newer version intake it doesn't have the indentation to mount the "wings" make sure you get the nice emblem off the old one.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:25 PM
There's the spot where the wings would go but there are no wings on it. Can you tell from the pics last page which version it is?

Is there a date code embedded in the engine block number?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Assuming, like most MFG companies, there are a ton of updates and upgrades as a product ages and is in the marketplace, I'd suspect even if the parts look identical, that engine is superior to what came out. On my prior V12S which engine blew up, that buyer is very pleased with the new engine, and since it was a very early V12S, I'm sure it's been updated also to be what the 2017's are.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM
They're not "new" engines because they have not built them in 2 years. They're remanufactured, and where do you get engines to reman? Junk yards, car breakers, lemon law cars, etc. The spec of the reman may be up to current but I don't know how intense the reman is. It may be as simple as they check the clearances, throw in some new bearings and rings, do a valve job, clean it up, and out the door it goes. In which case it's just a pretty engine on the outside but could be a 60,000 mile engine that passed inspection on the inside.

Then again, it could be a complete rebuild, bored 20 over, crank cut down 10, new pistons and cams, and how do you know exactly what you have??

If there's a date code on the block at least it tells you that much, but doesn't answer any of the rest of the questions.

That he got his engine that fast also, Aston must have stepped up its US supply chain for availability since they put the clamps on the sale of cheaper parts outside dealer networks.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The V12S engine was new. Don't know anything really about the older 4.3 engine you have but I guess it makes sense it might be a rebuilt one.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:19 PM
4.7 but I was told it would be a remanufactured, and that they were done in Cologne where the original engines were built.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey---as long as the stall issue does not come back. It is a start in the right direction.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:37 PM
If only, remember the stalling they ascribe to CPU software on fuel management and delivery, which has nothing to do with what engine is in the car.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:41 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the additional details...

Looks like you are well on top of all possibilities.
Can't change the past and an engine swap is the best way to go.
Thanks for the tip on the window sticker, I'll have to get a copy of mine.
We will be watching the progress - wishing you and your ride good luck and all the best.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 PM
From the day they approved the engine I was asking all the questions to try and keep my block, including having my engine rebuilt. Which is great in theory but in practice is probably 6 months no car, you see how the engine has to come out so that has to go back together so they can store the car during the wait. All of it made that idea just untenable. My only half decent option is if they decide they have enough data from others and don't need this engine back, and if it's scrapped I could buy it that way. After all it could have spun a bearing in the bottom end and not be useable anyway, but while I think it was just starving the top end I'd assume the bottom wasn't getting full flow either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.