Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM
OnyxVantage is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Congratulations, good to hear this positive outcome !

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
good for you but not so good for most of us that do our own maintenance on our car. We go out of our way to buy Aston Martin oil filter so things like that doesn't happen and you are telling me that one of their own oil filter crapped out... I feel a lot less confident now about their own oil filter... If I changed the oil myself and I had the same thing happening to me with an Aston Martin oil filter purchase at a dealership, I would also get them to replaced my engine even if I did the oil change.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I’m really happy this worked out for you Habitualoffender. I service my own BMWs but I let the dealer service the Aston. I like to have a good relationship with them....just in case.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:12 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
It was [is] considered one of those one in a million failures, none of the techs had every heard or seen this happen before. Remember that Aston is what is printed on the filter but they most likely did not make the filter. It would be made under contract from one of the large filter manufacturers, just as the tires are made under contract by Bridgestone or Pirelli.

But thankfully I do have mine dealer serviced and have a wonderful relationship with the service department. I know some of us can't use a dealer because it may be hundreds of miles or more away, but if you live close enough I highly recommend building that same relationship with your local dealer also.

Thanks for all the good wishes!! This has been an eye opening experience for sure.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
The oil filter is the cause of the full engine failure. But what was the cause of the stalling? Will we just never know? You had stalling prior to this oil filter being installed, right?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey H-O ... Wonderful !!!!

Did the dealer state why your oil light did not warn you? Also on most cars with ECU control I thought the engine turns off and will not let you restart so no damage is done till checked.

While I am glad you are getting put whole. I often wonder if the wrong filter was put on the car and your stalling problems reflashed often was not a combination problem where the dealer is thrilled they found a way out blaming Aston Martin and Aston covering a screw up on programing of the reflashed ECU...screwing up your settings and safety settings.

Anyway...does not matter except you can move on and enjoy your car once again!

​​​​Good luck and I wish you the best...I hope fully recovered from being sick!!!!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Congratulations! I'm glad there is light in the tunnel.

I would go to the dealer for an oil change if Dimmitt Sarasota studios would have a shop.
I need to drive 1h north to find the Dimmitt shop.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
That is a strange failure. Did you oil pressure light come on at all?

I recall some discussion on using other oil filters, and the consensus was that Aston filters have a different bypass pressure. It's odd that if the filter was blocked, that the oil didn't just bypass it? I wonder if instead, a piece of the filter came out, and blocked the oil gallery to the head (which would explain no warning light). Did the other head have any damage?

Adding a further thought, isn't the variable cam timing oil pressure actuated? If that is the case, if oil pressure was bad, it would not respond as expected, and may have something to do with the stalling. Odd though that no CEL would show up if this were the case (which is pure speculation on my part...)

Good to hear that it's being covered.

Matt

Last edited by hsm precision; 02-22-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:01 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Stalling - still to be determined. Remember it started a new bogging problem that almost got me speared which possibly might have been an early sign of the filter as the timing advance on the cams might have been the cause of the bogging. It's all just speculation until it's running and driving and then see what it does going forward.

I do not remember seeing any warning light when it started chirping and before I pulled off and it stalled. The "Service Engine Immediately" was on the message center after I refired it, but I was in fight or flight panic mode making more than stupid decisions, the worst of which was not shutting it off and leaving it where it sat but driving it a mile as it melted down. My initial thoughts that some accessory was failing and binding the belt was obviously far off the mark.

Anything past this will only be found on a full breakdown when it goes back to England.

Aldv, it might be done in time for those first grudge match days at Atco!

embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Aldv
Hey H-O ... Wonderful !!!!

Did the dealer state why your oil light did not warn you? Also on most cars with ECU control I thought the engine turns off and will not let you restart so no damage is done till is fixed
My point exactly. On all the engines that I have worked on or seen, the oil pressure switch is located after the oil filter. The warning light should have been triggered to come on, but more importantly the ecu should have shut the engine down. IMHO the most important point here is not that the filter exploded or blocked oil to the engine. ( might be one in a million, but stuff happens) The important point is why the fail safe devices did not work.

silver997 is on a distinguished road
Aston is covering that? That's great news! I always inspect the oil filters that go on my car carefully. That flimsy "box" they come in offers little shipping protection. All it would take is for one person along the supply chain to drop one of these filters and then.....I had a oil filter for my Aston show up at my house damaged. Dented in. In the trash it went.Also putting to much pressure on the filter when installing it could stress the internal, like using a oil filter strap style wrench and putting your full weight on it to torque it down! I wish it was a cartridge style filter instead of the pick up truck style metal filters. What's with all the plastic inside those filters?

Last edited by silver997; 02-22-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
HO, I know that AM doesn't make their own oil filter but nobody was able to confirm the bypass pressure valve in the AM oil filter and it was recommended that we stick with AM oil filter for that reason. I know that these cars have been on the road since 2006 and that is the first time that anyone of us ever hear of this kind of failure so it is a little reassuring but if AM started to outsource their oil filter to cheaper aftermarket we might see it happen more often and that is what I am scared off.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Another thought. Isn’t there a bypass mechanization that bypasses the filter if it’s blocked?
Is the dry sump somehow designed differently?

Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Glad it worked out for you. But I've never seen an oil filter do that so you have to question the quality of the parts Aston is using. They obviously don't make their own oil filters and I would hope there would be some type of quality control by them on parts they use. Maybe it was freak failure, but that is disconcerting.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:12 PM
I can understand everybody's concern when a common part fails and can cause such devastation. Trust that I did not help by making stupid decisions but now knowing that chirping and chatter was the top end already melting down I'm pretty sure at that point I first noticed it, it was already a full rebuild.

As for the technicalities of ECU shutoff, I wasn't even aware it was supposed to. It would have been nice if that stupid decision was taken out of my hands with a shutdown but it wasn't.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.