Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:34 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Really nice, I guess they want to send the entire old engine back to Gaydon for inspection

Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
HO

that is fabulous news mate - really happy for you

keep us all updated

Graze

Old 03-13-2018, 05:39 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Great pictures. Good to see things going your way.

Regards,

Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Interesting that they drop the whole drive-train and rear suspension as one unit.

While it is all down, is there any preventative maintenance that could be done that would normally be in an area that is very difficult to access. After-all, the labor hours would not now include time needed to access the area. Just a thought...

Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rocketboots999
Interesting that they drop the whole drive-train and rear suspension as one unit.

While it is all down, is there any preventative maintenance that could be done that would normally be in an area that is very difficult to access. After-all, the labor hours would not now include time needed to access the area. Just a thought...
I am sure that is going through the OP's mind and perhaps the dealership as well. "While we are here..."

Old 03-13-2018, 11:38 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The shocks were weeping a hair, I'm not sure it's worth holding up the install, I don't think shocks are that tough an installation. It already had a stock clutch put back in 2000 miles ago, I was going to have regular 10,000 mile service, I'm not sure what is not covered by the engine replacement. I'm sure they'll use new coolant, it should have fresh oil, brake lines are disconnected so I imagine that's half done, but I was planning on asking.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey...great it is going along. I figured they would stall you for months and months.

I am missing something... Aston Martin and FCkerbeck is doing all of this 100 percent for free...no cost to you?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
All I've been told is my rental is not covered.

It was surmised it would take 2 months for the engine as that was how long the last one took. That it came in this fast he assumed it must have already been in country.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Cool pics. Seems like it would be easier to remove the torque tube and drive shaft and just drop the motor. Neat seeing everything out, though. The specially made carts to hold everything are spiffy.

I would have also guessed that the motor would not come with accessories, injectors, etc. Will save same install time. Probably also explains why the cost you heard was so crazy high.

Last edited by davidm17; 03-13-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 PM
That cost was a stripped long block they were expecting.

The engine sits in a "sub frame" [I can't remember the exact term] and the only way it comes out, is this way.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Ahhhh, NOW would be the perfect time to put in the faster rack and pinion! Anybody have one laying around?! LOL

Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Cool, that your nightmare is almost over. That set up looks like a fun time to do some extra cleaning.
Ron

Old 03-13-2018, 04:01 PM
It would be a great time to have a steam cleaner truck shoot the drivetrain, but I seriously doubt it would be allowed. It's not happening in the shop, The shops lot is full of Vanquishes, Bentley's and Rolls' and they're definitely not going to let anything happen there, which means, I could roll it all out in the street at best. But anytime it's being fiddled with is time away from getting it back in the car, and that's more important to me than having something I can only see on a lift temporarily clean, because it's just going to get dirty again.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Mixed emotions...

I'm happy you got a new "free" engine but sad your Vantage is no longer numbers matching.
Hopefully you will be able to keep the original block with the car (just in case) for a future owner to decide.

If not maybe you don't care about such things anyways, causing no harm, no foul. Many buyers would prefer a new engine over matching numbers especially if it saved them money on the purchase price.

If you never sell the car also a complete non issue.
Wondering what your thoughts are on the subject...

Last edited by 007V8Vantage; 03-14-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Do modern cars even stamp the VIN on the engine? I thought that practice died out decades ago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.