Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:13 AM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
yea - what in the world was the root cause?

chr

Old 02-14-2018, 12:13 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur
Would almost certainly be cheaper to put a used engine in instead of rebuilding and much faster.

best wishes
Are there any sources for used engines?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:33 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Yikes. That sucks. Going to be hard to do a post mortem, but like others my guess would be oil starvation. I highly doubt a bearing or some other piece just failed. The question is what caused it. Seems improbable a galley to the head got blocked, but if there's no scoring in the cylinders and the rest of the bottom end is ok then sounds like there's was oil down there, especially considering it's a dry sump system. Anybody have good details about how the oiling system works? I'll have to look at the workshop manual.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kanga
I'd use this as an opportunity to rebuild it to 5 liter spec and try for 500bhp. Race engines blow up all the time and get rebuilt, no difference with this one. Only concern would be what caused the failure in the first place as the car was regularly serviced and has spent plenty of time at the dealership.
If I remember correctly, stretching the engine to 5.0 is not going to be easy.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
But there is an important reason why everyone should have their cars serviced at the dealer.
What is the reason?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:35 PM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blue2000s
What is the reason?
The suspense is killing me..........

Old 02-15-2018, 12:25 AM
Aston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the rough
Sorry for the loss. My first reaction was also very dry top part of the engine. Oil starvation.

All the best in fixing this.

Regards

Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Damn. I can't even imagine what thoughts are going through your mind.

As other mentioned, this is dry with no oil lubrication at all.
How full was the dry sump oil reservoir? I remember you mentioned your Vantage used up a large amount in a short time at one point.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Yowsa! I am sorry to see this, and I hope you are able to come to the least painful resolution that is possible.

BTW, you are a now an official celebrity across the pond:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=70&t=1725128

Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Sorry, my pneumonia decided to get worse so I'm mostly just in bed now.

As I said earlier it was definitely starvation. The tech found something that's given a glimmer of hope but until the dominoes fall it's just "hope".

Anybody here that knows this car knows it's been meticulously over-maintained.

For my new fan club over the pond [all 3 of you LOL]

2010.25 V8V that was Daniel Craigs Hollywood car for 2010.
https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9067
Chris from Newport Beach AM taught Craig how to drive a stick in this car.
Purchased by the original owner of record Rick Belluzo, ex President and COO of Microsoft.
I bought it from his agent September 2016 with 5700 miles.
It now has 17,500.
It missed its last yearly service because he only drove it 75 miles over the 2 years [IMO I think it stalled in a bad situation and spooked him from driving it. I also believe it probably stalled on Craig and that's why he turned it in after 2400 miles.]
When received the clutch was fried so I had the VAP/DAE twin plate installed and the full 6 year service done. It had stalled before but the pedal was stupid heavy and I always put it off to "I must have stalled it". In reality it stalls at about a 50/year pace by the records I kept. So thanks to an outstanding forum member Mr. Palmer got involved and mandated it be fixed, and England has spent alot of time and money trying to get it cured, including assuming it had to be the lightweight flywheel and they put a stock clutch in it. It stalled 3 days later. The last time it was in for 8 days swapping data and software with England, and developed a new bog problem which caused another driver to slam on his brakes to keep from drilling me.

I was down almost 2 quarts after 7000 miles and I didn't like how dirty the oil was so I had it serviced. When it was in for those last 8 days of data exchange we checked and it was down a quart at 5000 miles, which I have come to learn is fairly normal. We topped it off. So it had a full tank of 5000 mile oil, and as I was picking it up we figured out it was 5000 miles which is when I would have had it changed again and it could have been done while they had it those 8 days, but we just joked it would stall again and be back next month so we'd do the service then.

And then, it melted down and tore itself apart.

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 02-15-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bunob
I know there is a problem on the 4.7 :
Anyone know the torque spec for the crankshaft bolt? Seems like good insurance to check every now and then!

Old 02-16-2018, 01:15 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Habitual

this is a very sad situation - and when you are unwell

hope you get better & get a good result from your glimmer of "hope"

these cars shouldn't fail at 17k miles

best wishes

Graze

Old 02-16-2018, 05:14 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Crankshaft pulley bolt is 236 ft/lb. Not as much as I would have expected - Land Rover discovery was over 300 - lots of fun....

Matt

Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi H-O...wow...I am shocked and sorry to read. Being sick only adds to the misery.

I am out of town and just saw your post. I wish you well. I will be interested in learning why the oil failure.

Good luck!!!

Duke

Old 02-16-2018, 08:50 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
This sucks and I'm sorry this happened to you but I still don't see the point about needing to have the car dealer serviced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.