Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
H-O...you are a trip. New engine..new clutch slapping power to a 8 year old transaxle knowing you with DSC off....funny..save 35000.00 to replace it next.
i would think the torque tube being carbon fiber may survive...

Get healthy as your car engine ordeal is not over yet I am sure the dealer and Aston Martin will **** you off before all is over..

I wonder how Aston Martin is going to program the ECU ...old settings to see if the stall is corrected or continue using the new re flash...I will be interested to follow.

My son had another tune done recently on his car but every retune we do is done and put on a dano for recording and showing results.
I hope all these new reflashes were done the same and not just done monkey style and put on the car and hey go drive it...otherwise how does Aston know actual improvements or spot other problems with the new flash?
​​​​
You are always good for a smile..I am really glad for you...

Old 02-22-2018, 01:29 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You mean we're not going to have a grudge match?!

It was in for 8 days of data, drive, data, flash, drive, I don't know what all was done but they did have it 8 days. No monkeys were injured.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
For me all this does is raise more questions
A-why didnt the ECU shut down the motor
B- why didn't the filter bypass work to maintain the oil flow
C- is there a “bad batch” of OEM filters out there all waiting to implode and grenade more Aston engines ?
D- if I use an OEM filterand change my own oil and my engine grenades due to a filter failure will AM cover the repair cost ?

Old 02-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Holy ****. Was waiting to see the underlying cause... I'm so glad that it's covered under warranty due to circumstances, but wow.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I could foresee this raising more questions than answers, and I wish I had the knowledge to answer them, but I don't. I also never wanted to start a fear campaign about oil filters, because they do consider it a freak occurrence. I'm not sure any of these questions will ever be answered, I'm just very glad I serviced at the dealer and that I have a wonderful service department that found it and submitted it to England on my behalf.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by embdenb
IMHO the most important point here is not that the filter exploded or blocked oil to the engine. ( might be one in a million, but stuff happens) The important point is why the fail safe devices did not work.
The "Service Engine Immediately" was on the message center after I refired it, but I was in fight or flight panic mode making more than stupid decisions, the worst of which was not shutting it off and leaving it where it sat but driving it a mile as it melted down. My initial thoughts that some accessory was failing and binding the belt was obviously far off the mark.
????

chr

Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Oh my god, that is a lot of $. I am glad that A M is stepping up for you.
I am a big proponent of dealer service on my newer cars. Especially in this price bracket.
Ron

Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Yes, after installation and taxes it would be dangerously close to that Titanium Silver 09' stick coupe with 13,000 miles Park Place has [which I don't understand their pricing, they'd usually have that about 10k higher]. It would have been a very tough decision to make. You know the commercial where you slap yourself on the forehead and say "should have had a V8!" except it would be "could have bought a V12!"

FCKAM has a brand new DB9 Volante on the floor 60k off at $154k, that's about what I'd have in this V8 after.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:45 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
You are right that 09 Titanium Silver is very clean and amazing price... if someone is looking for a 4.7 that is the one to get... it even has the N430 exterior package which is almost $4,000

Old 02-23-2018, 02:22 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
wow, what an incredible series of events. very happy for you in the resolution to this. i'm coming up on another service myself and now seriously contemplating whether to continue to go to the indy down the street from me or make the haul out to the dealer...

Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
HO really pleased it's being sorted for you - hope all goes well

This is an interesting issue isn't it.

I did an interim oil change on my V8V in December as I'd done 10,000km and service wasn't due till May. I bought an Aston branded filter from a reputable source.

Wonder what would eventuate if it was my filter that imploded.

Graeme

Old 02-26-2018, 10:43 AM
flittlejr is on a distinguished road
My 2 year 24k Platinum Warranty was only $3500. Now I see why. Clutch is specifically exempted. Did get $558 back when door struts failed.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 AM
Here it's $5000 a year or $7500 for 2. That's straight from a printed sheet I got a glance at but may have to do with age and type of vehicle.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
For me all this does is raise more questions
A-why didnt the ECU shut down the motor

Because oil pressure wasn't low, the passages in the head and VVT were blocked, most likely from that black oil filter diaphragm that came apart.

B- why didn't the filter bypass work to maintain the oil flow

Actually shows evidence it was going wide open, that white rubber is the diaphragm which isn't allowing it to no longer close. If that diaphragm is jammed like that, means excessive oil pressure

C- is there a “bad batch” of OEM filters out there all waiting to implode and grenade more Aston engines ?

Have yet to see the superseded white exterior casing oil filter do this....that's all I can say.

D- if I use an OEM filterand change my own oil and my engine grenades due to a filter failure will AM cover the repair cost ?
Grey area..You still have a year warranty on the part. So if that part causes failure and was not a result of abuse (over tightened filter or incorrect oil grade, service life) and deemed ok by a certified Aston shop/tech, then it's corporate's decision that would have to make the call..

Old 03-13-2018, 02:48 AM
Absolutely amazing. 30 days from diagnosis the engine arrived and the drive train is in the cradle. I just stopped by because I had to go to Bensalem anyway [and I think my dry cleaner tag is in the car!] and the new 4.7 was sitting on the floor in the bay [next to a really beautiful DBS] with my car in the air. And it's a complete engine!! fully wired and ready to drop in, plug and play, Steve was expecting a long block and to swap everything from my engine, [obviously, I forgot the dry cleaner tag].

It's sad seeing her go thru major surgery, but she should be belching CO2 in a couple weeks. At least I'll get to break it in right and know it was. I may have to take a trip and throw 2000 highway miles on it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.