Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:16 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
oof, that's pretty awful to hear. goodluck moving forward.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
My condolences

Old 02-16-2018, 11:47 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
The most important thing is to get over the pneumonia. The car can be fixed.

You gotta wonder if there was something just not right with the motor and that's what you had been chasing with the stalling issues. A used good motor might be a better way to go than rebuilding the current one.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I hope Aston corporate lends hand in this.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by davidm17
A used good motor might be a better way to go than rebuilding the current one.
Agreed with this. Especially if there is metal in the oil, there's no way I'd rebuild that engine unless it was a very full and detailed rebuild.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
When you own a plane at every annual the mechanic took a sample of the oil and sent it for analysis to see if there was metal and if so, what type to determine what was about to fail. I wonder if at the Aston annual inspection they do something similar?

Old 02-16-2018, 03:45 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
^^ That's very funny, Prefurb.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:48 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Of the 10 years I've owned Vantages, I gotta say overall service has been extremely good - First at lake Forest, then locally in Minneapolis at Morries. Only one mistake - Lake Forest replaced a door seal and botched it (the new seal hung outside the door) and they paid Morries (not yet an Aston dealer back then) to replace the seal. Other than that zero problems or complaints (other than $$$$).
Lake Forest isn't what it used to be......Had some negative experiences there.

Last edited by DonBond; 02-16-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:30 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
If I ever need to get an engine rebuild I think I would contact Nelson Racing Engines, they do amazing work from what I read.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey Bunob...where did you read where there was problems with the 4.7 engines? I have checked other sites and here and only found one where a guy rebuilt an engine after oil problems that seem to go back to not letting the car get up to operating temperature and going full blast....which I know H-O cares too much for his car to do.

Just wondering...many threats on stalling but few to none on the 4.7 blowing up...

Thanks...

Last edited by Aldv; 02-18-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 02-19-2018, 12:53 AM
bunob is on a distinguished road
This is a design problem, on most of GT4 engines the gear is welding or directly machining on the cranck.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-rebuild.html

Last edited by bunob; 02-19-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi Bunob...thanks...but on #8 reply it is explained that he worked on a jag prior with the exact problem and believed owner created..same damage..

Yes the engines have some questionable parts and assembly issues used...it never made clear other then oil starvation due to probably owner abuse.

HO cares way too much for his car I feel to abuse it. Every little thing he has the dealer check. That is why so many here are wondering the real cause.

That threat you referenced was done great and detailed...I appreciated your reply.

Thanks again...safe driving

​​​​​​

Old 02-19-2018, 11:44 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bunob
This is a design problem, on most of GT4 engines the gear is welding or directly machining on the cranck.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-rebuild.html
Not sure it,s a design problem. AFAIK there is no data to support either the Jag or Aston v8 engines suffering from oil starvation. Note that if the oil pump gear stops, oil pressure stops. Just about all modern cars ECU will shut the engine off if it detects No oil pressure.
Oil starvation as a result of the oil pump gear slipping would exhibit problems at the main bearings before the cam lobes. Proper tear down on the engine should answer those questions. Based on the pics my guess is a blocked oil opening or blocked oil supply line to that particular head.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Wow.

Finally woke up at 1am yesterday morning and it's the first time I felt "normal". I actually got some work done last night, and all day today, and all night tonight. Between the Eagles, my baby melting down, and then getting sick [again! 5 times in 5 months!!] I'm way behind and I know I'm about to get pounded even harder so I'm trying to play catch up.

I love my car, that doesn't mean I don't drive it hard sometimes, but I'd never abuse it. Nothing over 4000 until it's at operating temp, and when it's cold I'll let it warm up before I even get in it [damn no heated seats!!] but most of the time it's just normal driving in normal traffic, like the day it happened. I'll drift some turns and hit an apex hard when I'm in the mood, and if it wasn't stalling I'd have had it at NJMP on the track a couple times to let it stretch it's legs. That's what a sports car is for, not for driving 65 in the slow lane. Though I wouldn't recommend blowing by a marked Trooper doing 97 either, that would have been a serious ticket in the Z, $54 and no points? This is new territory for me! But this wait is wearing on me mentally. It's in Englands hands as nobody in the US has the authority to make the decision.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
But there is an important reason why everyone should have their cars serviced at the dealer.
I know several of you asked why I said this, besides that I firmly believe my baby is in much better hands when the most experienced are working on it, but if I didn't always have it dealer serviced I'm not sure I'd be able to report -

Originally Posted by FC Kerbeck Aston Martin
I wanted to let you know parts has the ticket and approval to order the engine under Aston Martin Warranty.
Steve found the cause was an imploded oil filter that strangled the flow of oil so that it could no longer reach the top end. It was a dealer installed part failure as they did the oil change. If I had done it in my driveway or had an indi do it, it would not be a dealer installed part. I would not have the help and support from my dealer service department and I don't know that the factory would make the same decision to replace the engine under warranty. Considering the warranty cost of the long block alone is $44,000 I'd presume they might not. Imagine what the retail cost of the long block is! But by always having the car serviced at the dealer and having their support, England is going to cover the engine.

I feel like I've been holding my breath for the last 10 days and can finally breathe. It took 2 months for the last engine to come in so that's the probable timeline, and then a week of work pulling the body off the drivetrain, pulling the engine, transferring everything from my engine over to the long block and then mounting the body back onto the drivetrain. And as much work as that is, I am so happy it's in very capable and experienced hands!

So yes, I absolutely recommend that you have your Aston serviced at an authorized dealer! I know I always will.

That such a simple part can cause such devastation boggles the mind.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.