Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

ASM Driving Technique

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:36 PM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
ASM Driving Technique

I have a question for Vantage ASM owners. I got my car late last year, so with the new driving season just starting I am still getting used to it. I purposely chose an ASM car although my classic cars have always been stick.

Sport mode selected. Going up through the gears, I use the toe roll/foot lift trick and it works fine for steady driving, although there is a bit of a lag going 1st to 2nd.

When I accel quite hard in first from a stop and try to shift into 2nd, the car goes into neutral, revs higher and I have to let the revs come back down before the paddle finally selects a gear. That loses all of the momentum that I have. I am guessing that it is a technique issue. Thoughts please?

Old 03-31-2018, 11:35 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Mine does not do that, but I have a 2012 V8VS.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:53 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
My 09 ASM does not do what you describe, you have an issue.
Happy Easter
Christian

Old 04-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've had an 09, and a 15GT V8 with ASM - the two cars were very different in the feel of the ASM, with the 15 having been evolved quite a bit - what year is your Vantage? I know have a V12S with ASM which is quite a bit better which I can't understand why the V8's did not come with the ASM III in later years. Not that the older ones were bad, I enjoyed them all, but you would think the ASM III would have been a standard on all the Vantages.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:07 AM
2010 V8 Vantage Roadster. 15,000 miles. Clutch is probably getting up there, but no signs of slippage on either full throttle or normal driving. I only drive Sport mode, never use D or Comfort except to show someone how bad those 2 modes are.

As well as the high rev shift issue described, I have had a couple of other instances where I have been stopped at a light with neutral selected and then it wouldn't go into gear with the paddle. Wait a few seconds, try again and the gear selects - very embarassing. I put this down to my newness with the car and some type of "driver learning curve" issue; now I am not so sure.

The service history shows that the transmission control module was replaced last year, so perhaps there is more to this than the driver...

Old 04-01-2018, 08:55 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Based on your description, you definitely have a problem. None of what you describe is normal.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:10 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
My AM dealer charged me $150 to get a readout of the clutch and how much life is left on it - might be worth it in your case

I have a sportshift II as well, but the only issues I find are in S mode in auto, none when I am manually shifting. By issues, not shifting quick enough and the rpms needing to catch, etc

Old 04-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi Rocketboots...I saw your post on Piston heads too.

You did not mention the ASM module was replaced? I would bet the software needs flashed and updated.

My 09 shifts easy no problems from r to 1st something you mentioned on PH...you should not lose gear...second to third etc...actually above 5000 rpm the ASM can be shifted without that stupid gas lift method...they were designed that way...under 5000 rpm it helps to use the lift up.

Another reason I think software problem...the ASM controls the engine ECU in ASM transmissions ...stalling sounds like wrong gear not shifting properly and engaging correctly when you down shift.

If no codes take to a dealer and ask about the replaced ASM module...at the same time have the clutch checked as I referenced prior on pH...15000 seems wrong for a clutch ...I drive mmm hard and I have 36000 miles on original clutch...but prior owners could have tried the launch mention and killed it...

Today finally somewhat nice weather and on my favorite back roads had up to lossing license speeds...lol

Good luck...happy holiday

​​​​​

Old 04-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I had a good chat with an AM Service Manager who also doubts that it is clutch wear due to it only happening during higher rev changes from 1st to 2nd and no signs of slippage. I am arranging for him to take a look at it and will report back with what they find.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rocketboots999
Thanks everyone. I had a good chat with an AM Service Manager who also doubts that it is clutch wear due to it only happening during higher rev changes from 1st to 2nd and no signs of slippage. I am arranging for him to take a look at it and will report back with what they find.
i had the worst ASM (Ferrari/Maserati) F1 in 2006 on my Maserati. I REALLY learned to drive on that one. 1-2 sec gap going slow. BUT>...... always on here suggest a manual, but I have to slightly disagree with myself. I drove a 2017 V12VS with 89 miles. I paint corrected it.

1. Drove in Auto mode/sport nice and easy, and actually found it almost drove like an automatic. Really surprised. Although rev matching hand paddle downshifts were cool.

2. Did drive it manually and pretty much did what it was supposed too and didnt have to lift. Got on it fairly hard (didnt know it had 89 miles one it or I wouldn't have) and it popped each gear fast, with no lift at all.

3. Your clutch likely will last 35-45k miles. Most owners on here get that out of them.

4. The older ASM 1 or 2, likely shift a bit slower, and maybe the clutch is different than that V12, but if your hard on the gas, you shouldn't need to lift at all. Keeping it floored or close will make it shift faster. Only going slow will it take its time, so the slow roll of the big toe off and on the gas works well.

Hope that helps a bit

Old 04-07-2018, 06:39 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rocketboots999
I had this hi rev issue happen once or twice when i first got the car and thought perhaps it was just my inexperience...never told the dealer but had the car in and they flashed all the software upgrades and never experienced it again. . don't know if I've gotten better driving it or software fixed it. .

i don't think it's a catastrophic issue... the transmissions are pretty rugged... the clutch is the weakest point

Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by MRCW
I had this hi rev issue happen once or twice when i first got the car and thought perhaps it was just my inexperience...never told the dealer but had the car in and they flashed all the software upgrades and never experienced it again. . don't know if I've gotten better driving it or software fixed it. .

i don't think it's a catastrophic issue... the transmissions are pretty rugged... the clutch is the weakest point
Good to know, thanks.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM
LotusJPS is on a distinguished road
I'm interested in what you find out! I also have a 2010 and have had similar issues. Mt car has a little over 13K miles and I'm always gentle starting off from a stop. The delay/issue always seems to be between 1st and 2nd gear. The first time it happened revs around 5K in 1st and it didn't shift into 2nd until the revs were closer to 3K. After a couple months it now seems to be happening around 4K rpm. Twice now rather than going into 2nd after a long delay a message was displayed that the gear is not available and it went to neutral. After hitting the up shift a few times it goes into a higher gear then seems to work normally again. The last couple times driving it seems to be working OK, though definitely has me a bit paranoid.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi guys...just wondering does the car shift and not skip gears if you use D?

When you first open your door you should hear the pump priming up...if not and sounds strange...check the fuild bottle to see if low...but generally these would not shift at all if out or really low.

Did you check your shift paddles and switches to see if working correctly and not worn...as prior owners may have jammed hard thinking they were Formula one drivers.

Outside of the ECU transmission module bad or needing software reflashed these are a few other thoughts to possible check....

Maybe contact a few teches here by PM as on open forum they get yelled at if they help too much by their dealership.

Good luck...I hope not the clutch...

​​​​​

Last edited by Aldv; 04-09-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Weather crappy, so haven't driven the car in a while, but hope to tomorrow to establish a few more troubleshooting data points. The car will be going to AM, but as an ex-aircraft troubleshooter on Boeing and Airbus, I like to have an understanding myself.

Today I plugged in my Foxwell with the AM code reading capability. There are a number of live data points that can be read. A couple of examples, but more available:
- Self tuned clutch closed position
- Self tuned clutch closed position - kiss point delta
- Clutch wear index

Without knowing how to decipher the data, these are about as useful to me as one hand clapping. Does anyone know which of these data points are useful for troubleshooting purposes as well as giving a sense of what is happening with the clutch and transmission?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ASM Driving Technique