Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tow hook question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:18 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
Tow hook question

what do you all do with the tow hook. do you leave it on in the socket on the front bumper?

i just realized today that it's left handed thread. finally got it screwed in. i am thinking maybe plasti-dip the black into Red and leave it on.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:31 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I leave it in it's spot under the parcel shelf and only take it out when I need to be pulled onto a flatbed

Old 05-29-2018, 04:42 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully never need it

Old 05-29-2018, 01:52 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by howzz1854
what do you all do with the tow hook. do you leave it on in the socket on the front bumper?

i just realized today that it's left handed thread. finally got it screwed in. i am thinking maybe plasti-dip the black into Red and leave it on.
Then you may want a rear wing and straight pipes. Put it in the styrofoam holder behind the driver's seat.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't understand... you want people to think you frequently spin off the track or break down?

Old 05-29-2018, 04:44 PM
actually for convenience purpose. for that time when you can't get into the car and it needs to be towed, since the hook is stored inside the cabin. when i was shopping for the vantage, at one dealer, the car battery actually died, it was embarrassing for them because they couldn't get into the car. i am just paranoid. the added red color was just an idea for aesthetics.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
If you can't get inside to get the car out of gear/park, how do you expect to tow it? And there's a mechanical key to unlock the door even with a dead batt.

Putting a tow hook on the car just for show is not befitting an Aston.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 PM
i am not exactly sure how those pro towers do it, but i've seen them lift up the rear end and put a wheel platform under it, and then hook up the front and winch it onto the bed.

but yes, i see your point

Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Agree - leave it in the trunk/boot. Though I do worry about the little round cover coming loose. I've added extra 'industrial' velcro.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Where does the tow hook mount on the front? Is it in the hole on that lower grill on the left side? I'd like to install a red tow strap similar to what Rich has on his car - though his is different I believe due to having a different AMR front armature

Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Redpants
Correct, that's the spot.

The tow strap I have wouldn't work there as it has an eyelet and adapters to mount it. But you may be able to find one that does bolt into the original location, or might be able to make one.
Do you happen to know what the thread pitch is on the oem tow hook? I never got one with my car (previous owner must've kept the kit somewhere). I can try to source one that fits our cars and post my findings here

I have one of these for my BMW and had someone use it on the track once, was impressed by how well it held up being used. Id much rather have a strap than a hook

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...with-bolt-red/

Old 06-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
It looks like a 3mm pitch. Major diameter is 15.75mm, minor diameter about 12.5mm (hard to measure, so take that with a grain of salt). The thread has a rounded shape, and is as mentioned left handed.

Matt

Old 06-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Following up - looks like a Jag tow hook is the same. (In this case, XK8, X-type)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Jaguar-Xk8-XK...5263466&chn=ps

Matt

Old 06-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by hsm precision
Following up - looks like a Jag tow hook is the same. (In this case, XK8, X-type)

https://www.ebay.com/p/Jaguar-Xk8-XK...5263466&chn=ps

Matt
Unfortunately I am not finding anything

I did come across these beautiful ones Willans did in collaboration for the GTR community

http://www.gt-rr.com/bulletproof-wil...r-long-version

Maybe we could have someone fab up the metal part to fit our vehicles (looks like it would be applicable to Jaguars as well) while using a high quality tow loop/strap

Not sure what the demand would be, I'd bet there's a ton more XKR/F type owners that'd be into something like this than AM owners ;P

Old 06-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for a direct replacement. The Jag part number appears to be C2C37723 for that.
For a fabric loop, it would have to be custom.

Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tow hook question