Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage S - stiff steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:35 PM
invalidname is an unknown quantity at this point
Vantage S - stiff steering

hi, long time reader first time buyer. I made the plunge and decided to get a 2012 Vantage S private sale. I’ve never driven another AS and my DD is an Audi. Compare to the Audi where I can easily turn my car with two fingers I feel that the steering in my V8VS is super stiff and I need to used both hands. With no frame of reference is this normal or is this something I need to get checked out?

i had it reviewed by a mechanic before and minus the breaks all was good (clutch will need to be replaced sooner rather than later but I’m willing to do that). They did not mention anything with the steering.

Located in Toronto happy to meet up with another owner for a frame of reference.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
This isn't a luxury cruiser, you need 2 hands to steer. Perfectly normal.
CATTMAN

Old 06-29-2018, 07:54 PM
Haha fair enough. I’m fine with that. Just wanted to make sure it didn’t need repairing

First real sports car pardon the newb Q

Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
The Vantage features a highly regarded (by driving enthusiasts) hydraulic steering assist, versus what is likely electric assist on a 2013 or newer Audi. Vantage is definitely not a two finger type of driver, especially at low speeds. The new '18 Vantage has switched to electric assist among other "advancements" (depending upon your taste in driving experience).

Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
If you really do need two hands to turn the wheel, that doesn't sound normal at all. Steering is very good on Astons, but needing two hands sounds wrong to me.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:15 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Was the inspection at a place that is familiar with AM? Are you trying to turn sharp without the car moving, like tight parking? Best to be rolling a bit to lighten up feel. Vantage S has a bit quicker steering ratio than non S model. Find a local car like you suggested or maybe at a car dealer for sale. That would be the easiest. They have speed sensitive steering that can fault, which defaults to a stiffer feel which is more noticeable at low speed. If it was checked at an AM dealership they should have noticed if there was an issue. But then again you need to compare to a like vehicle.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
If you really do need two hands to turn the wheel, that doesn't sound normal at all. Steering is very good on Astons, but needing two hands sounds wrong to me.
I'll second that. The Vantage certainly has more resistance against turning the wheel than electric racks of the last few years, but it should be easy to steer with one hand. As a reference point, I can remember my wife's previous DD, a 2014 BMW X1 (one of the last Bimmers to have hydraulic steering), and that had unnecessarily heavy steering, definitely more difficult to turn the wheel than in any Vantage I've ever owned.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:14 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Same here, once driving it should not "need" 2 hands (i.e. the cummulated power of 2 hands).
During spirited driving 2 hands is absolutely the way to go...
Generally the Vantage needs some effort to be directed, braked, clutched & shifted, wich I personally do like a lot.
If you come from a contemporary saloon, where typically everything is overservoed, you certainly will note.
Tire condition can have an effect as well: low pressure, as example or old hardened Bridgestones...

Old 06-30-2018, 01:02 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You should be able to palm the wheel at any speed, maneuvering slow in a parking lot or hitting a chicane, although your driving instructor will yell at you to put both hands on the wheel on track, but what do they know!

Old 06-30-2018, 01:57 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Does it make any creaking or groaning noises while you're turning? Is the fluid reservoir full? Have you driven many other sports cars?

I suspect that it might feel like it needs two hands to someone who's been driving overboosted cars for a long time.

The Vantage's steering is heavy, it has wide tires and it's not highly boosted, which blesses the car with wonderful feel of the road and a strong sense of control.

And by the way, you SHOULD be driving with two hands on the wheel all the time anyway.

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-30-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:44 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I too though that there was something wrong with the steering when I first drove a Vantage, coming from Audi and BMW but no everything is fine just more precise. Good luck with the purchase

Old 06-30-2018, 11:34 PM
Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback!

Maybe two hands is an exaggeration, just not as easy as the audi.

No the mechanic is not an aston expert who I used.

This is my first sports car so I had no frame of reference. Spent the last two nights driving it and getting more accustomed to the feel. Has my uncle drive it who previously had a Ferrari and Lambo and he said the feel is typical for a sports car. The first part is easy to steer and manouver but if you want to make a sharp turn with the thick wheels it’s going to feel like a lot more effort.

Seems like it’s just a matter of adjusting. At highway speeds this is an amazing ride. At slow speeds still taking some getting used to compare to luxury.

Super appreciate all the great feedback.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by TR-Spider
Same here, once driving it should not "need" 2 hands (i.e. the cummulated power of 2 hands).
During spirited driving 2 hands is absolutely the way to go...
Generally the Vantage needs some effort to be directed, braked, clutched & shifted, wich I personally do like a lot.
If you come from a contemporary saloon, where typically everything is overservoed, you certainly will note.
Tire condition can have an effect as well: low pressure, as example or old hardened Bridgestones...
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Does it make any creaking or groaning noises while you're turning? Is the fluid reservoir full? Have you driven many other sports cars?

I suspect that it might feel like it needs two hands to someone who's been driving overboosted cars for a long time.

The Vantage's steering is heavy, it has wide tires and it's not highly boosted, which blesses the car with wonderful feel of the road and a strong sense of control.

And by the way, you SHOULD be driving with two hands on the wheel all the time anyway.
nope no noise or groaning or creaking sounds. Good point on the fluid reservoir I’ll need to check.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head and I’m just not used to the feel of a sports car yet.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by handyman2009
I too though that there was something wrong with the steering when I first drove a Vantage, coming from Audi and BMW but no everything is fine just more precise. Good luck with the purchase
haha glad I’m not the first! Talking to more people and getting feedback seems like that’s what I’m experiencing. Thanks! Going to be a great summer of driving.