Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

$21K Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 04:07 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BMW-North
Interesting video. I really wasn't impressed with the way these guys carried out the work. Good techs don't sit tools or extracted fasteners on the surfaces of the clients car, they also don't throw their tools on the shop floor.

I wasn't impressed either the way they dropped the expensive carbon fiber panels on their shop floor. One mis-step, dropped tool and well.......

What was obvious was these guys just dove in head first with no prep. or research - even if they read the procedure prior, even if it's just the workshop manual version - no guessing what fasteners or drain plugs to remove. I wonder what the "mystery fluid" was they drained by mistake???

I also laughed when the tech was trying to knock out the hydraulic lift fasteners with his Harbor freight mini socket screwdriver.

Their prep work was nil - they didn't even have a clue what the oil capacity was - before or after - only how much they managed to get out (they used video editing cause they went back and drained again.)

The shop owner made a joke at the end about leftover fasteners, I'll bet they actually encounter that often given their approach. Not sure what they charged the client, but it was too much.

Forget the cost savings. This is why we work on our cars ourselves.
It was funny that they made this video for what seems to be advertising purposes. The result would be that I'd stay far away from this shop, despite the very expensive cars all around, for the same reasons you mention.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:23 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Actually it's his car so he was just doing what most of you recommend, doing your own oil change. Just a bit more complicated on that car

Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 AM
TheBiz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old phart
Saw a video of some Vegas exotic rental place doing theirs. You'd think designers would take this kind of thing into account. So does the Vulcan have the cartridge system that were talking about in the vehicles or was that a one off concept.
Service departments profit off of these prices so there is no incentive to make it easier.

A related anecdote: when Rolls Royce changed their aircraft engine pricing model from sales to licensing they could no longer charge extra for maintenance calls. Very quickly word got back to engineers on how to improve the engine design to reduce time for maintenance. As I recall, the maintenance costs dropped over 40% on the newly designed engines -- once the motivations were changed.