Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What's typically covered in a PPI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:12 AM
Alien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud of
What's typically covered in a PPI? new title: Avoid Star Motor Cars

What's all typically included in a PPI by an Aston dealer? I was told it would cover a checklist of things that would qualify a car if the Dealer were to sell it as 'Certified'.

Here's why I ask. I purchased my car ('05 DB9) in California, but was not able to set up a PPI with the local dealer in time. Drove the car home to Houston and noted what I thought could be a few issues. This week I took the car to the Aston dealer (Star Motor Cars in Houston) for the battery cable recall and had them perform a PPI so I would know of any issues or repairs I'll be looking forward to.

They came back with it needing the inflator bottle rebuilt, rear pads, and a windshield fluid bottle. On the phone, I didn't get a firm answer on if they took it for a test drive. For $600, I would hope they did. The "issues" I was hoping to verify or deny are ...
  • Brake pads I knew about, just didn't know if it'd need rotors too.
  • Tires skip when turning at low speed when cold - I think this may be common and not an issue.
  • Steering is heavy - Again, may just be a characteristic of the car.
  • Trans cooler line updated/replaced.
  • Headlights do not autolevel - Surprised this wasn't caught during a PPI since it's a safety item.
  • Slight pull on throttle/off throttle - Again, very surprised this wasn't noted.
I'm picking the car up today, and just want to be prepared on what to ask/play dumb or whatnot. I didn't mention the above issues (except asking to check the trans line) when I dropped it off because it's not always the best idea to be a "Hey Doc, I've got the Flu" type of person.

Also, does anyone have the actual Server Bulletin number for the transmission cooler lines?

Last edited by Alien32; 07-24-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Updated title
Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 AM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
tires skipping? that would be the limited slip diff

Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Alien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud of
Wouldn't an LSD cause it not to skip. I don't think a DB9 has something as aggressive as a locker or a spool. It feels more from the front end. It's not uncommon, the C7's experience tire chatter when cold, and my assumption is the DB9 is similar.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
You should ask them what they inspected. There should be a checklist. It's purportedly a 140 point inspection. Personally, I'd have had an independent inspection done.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 AM
I'll be sure to ask for the checklist. I guarantee you I'll be taking it to an independent shop to get any work done! I was hoping that the dealer would have the most experience at finding the 'common' issues and TSB's, like the trans cooler lines leaking on early cars etc. I also thought that they'd be more likely to find nit-picky things to fix whereas an independent shop is more likely to say, this part is x% worn, but you can put off repairing it for a little bit. But hey, at least they found a leaky washer bottle
Thanks

Old 07-24-2018, 09:56 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
You should demand a complete check list and if not; talk to AM corporate. You paid real money for this and a complete check list should be a minimum thing returned to you. AM PPI's should find more than you bargained for IMO. This is how they drum up service if needed on the car.

They should've spent 3-4 hours looking through the car for $600.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Its a formal pre printed form. My dealer did everything on the list took it for a test drive and charged me $200. He walked me through the car while on the lift and walked me through all the items...i was able to negotiate some off the purchase price on a few things that the owner was not aware of... minor stuff.

well worth it

Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Gary's wife here... I just saw that the below "repair" was made to the defroster vents. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Oops... Guess I was still logged on. Unhappy wife to say the least.

Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
YAM PPI's should find more than you bargained for IMO. This is how they drum up service if needed on the car.
I should have taken the suggestions and avoided Star Motor Cars all together for anything other than the recall work. What a mess.

They performed the recall, the PPI, and reattched the defrost vents that were bowing due to heat damage. I did get a copy of the checklist only after asking for a copy. Daniel, the service advisor, was fine to deal with; zero issues with him. Going over the checked boxes, I asked if they transmission cooler lines had previously been replaced as per a service bulletin. He was unsure, but said they were not leaking at the current time. There was nothing noted about the on/off throttle pull, so I asked if he had a moment for a quick test drive. He obliged, and off we went with him in the drivers seat. The tires made the skipping noise pulling out of the parking lot. I asked, "Is that normal?" "Yeah". Ok, I'll buy that. Fairly quickly down the road, he could feel the pull to the right on throttle, left off throttle. Upon pulling back to the dealer, I asked him to see if the headlights moved when I turned them on, then turned the car on. While difficult to see in the bright daylight, he noted they did not adjust. We go inside, and Mike Dowty the service manager is summoned.

I started off with asking Mike if the headlights, being HID, were supposed to go through their motions (up, down, level) when turned on. He said they only do this once, then it take a while (hours) before they do it again. That's unlike any other car I've owned, but he maintained the headlights were working as designed. I moved onto the pull, and he noted that his tech did not report any issues with it driving, stating it drove in a straight line (hands off the wheel) and braked in a straight line (hands off the wheel). I asked Daniel to confirm that it pulled with him driving when transitioning to on throttle and transitioning to off throttle, and he confirmed. Mike noted my tires are aging, and the pull could be cause by that. When I pressed Mike to test drive the car, he stated he was too busy. He did offer to do an alignment for $500+ but "that wouldn't make me happy". What I could not get through to him was the fact that according to their inspection of the car, everything was normal, when clearly it is not. I just wanted them to put in writing, such as something is wrong with the steering, requires further investigation/additional charge. But even with the service advisor saying something is not right, Mike would not admit something was wrong, nor have the time to see for himself. I could understand if I were complaining about them not finding a small scratch, but the headlights not working? Isn't that, you know, a SAFETY issue? I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with Mike, so paid my tab and left.

To add insult to injury, after leaving, I noticed a bunch of smudge marks/glue/black goo on the base of the windshield. Yup, they didn't even bother to clean up after gluing the vents down. I'm not saying I could have done a better job being it's such a tight confine, but the marks left on the windshield is plain laziness. Trying to take pictures though it's tough to capture, but very obvious in person. And another kicker, looking at the checklist again now, lines 101 thru 121 are not checked. Those JUST SO happen to be under Road Test/Performance and Post Road Test.

Bottom line. If this is the sort of quality to expect from Star Motor Cars, I'd run far and fast before buying any of their 'certified' cars.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG_20180724_0001.pdf (871.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf
IMG_20180724_0002.pdf (725.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-24-2018, 07:46 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Aston is supposed to check the alignment everytime the car is in for service (according to my service advisor at Orlando AM).

My vantage was in for oil change ands it wad noticed that my alignment was out of spec... it was $200, all trued up now... sounds like you're getting ripped off...

Fortunately there are 3 Aston dealers i could use. Orlando is about 25 minutes, Dimmitt in St. Petersburg, FL is about 2 hours and Palm Beach is about 3 hours...i go to each area regularly soI have some choices...
Good Luck

Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM
You know, now that you mention it, a 3 hour drive to the Austin dealer may be a viable option for future work.

It's almost comical at this point. I'll be taking it to Lucas Auto this weekend for a 'second' opinion.

I've not driven the car at night since my first night of ownership. So tonight, after spending 45 minutes cleaning bits of silicon on the windshield, we took it out for a brief run to find a dark place with a wall (or a dark flat street). Did a quick and dirty check against the garage first. Driveway has about a 1° slope.

22in on the left, 21in on the right.

25ft away, 11in left, maybe 3in on the right.

Found a dark street with less than .5° slope. I'm standing at 40ft where the cutoff is.

60ft

60ft. My wife wearing blue pants and a flowery top. According to Mike Dowty at Star Motor Cars, these headlights are working as designed. Where's that gif of Iceman in Top Gun?

Last edited by Alien32; 07-24-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alien32
I should have taken the suggestions and avoided Star Motor Cars all together for anything other than the recall work. What a mess....

...Bottom line. If this is the sort of quality to expect from Star Motor Cars, I'd run far and fast before buying any of their 'certified' cars.

I would contact AM corporate on this.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Alien32
Oops... Guess I was still logged on. Unhappy wife to say the least.

I should have taken the suggestions and avoided Star Motor Cars all together for anything other than the recall work. What a mess.

They performed the recall, the PPI, and reattched the defrost vents that were bowing due to heat damage. I did get a copy of the checklist only after asking for a copy. Daniel, the service advisor, was fine to deal with; zero issues with him. Going over the checked boxes, I asked if they transmission cooler lines had previously been replaced as per a service bulletin. He was unsure, but said they were not leaking at the current time. There was nothing noted about the on/off throttle pull, so I asked if he had a moment for a quick test drive. He obliged, and off we went with him in the drivers seat. The tires made the skipping noise pulling out of the parking lot. I asked, "Is that normal?" "Yeah". Ok, I'll buy that. Fairly quickly down the road, he could feel the pull to the right on throttle, left off throttle. Upon pulling back to the dealer, I asked him to see if the headlights moved when I turned them on, then turned the car on. While difficult to see in the bright daylight, he noted they did not adjust. We go inside, and Mike Dowty the service manager is summoned.

I started off with asking Mike if the headlights, being HID, were supposed to go through their motions (up, down, level) when turned on. He said they only do this once, then it take a while (hours) before they do it again. That's unlike any other car I've owned, but he maintained the headlights were working as designed. I moved onto the pull, and he noted that his tech did not report any issues with it driving, stating it drove in a straight line (hands off the wheel) and braked in a straight line (hands off the wheel). I asked Daniel to confirm that it pulled with him driving when transitioning to on throttle and transitioning to off throttle, and he confirmed. Mike noted my tires are aging, and the pull could be cause by that. When I pressed Mike to test drive the car, he stated he was too busy. He did offer to do an alignment for $500+ but "that wouldn't make me happy". What I could not get through to him was the fact that according to their inspection of the car, everything was normal, when clearly it is not. I just wanted them to put in writing, such as something is wrong with the steering, requires further investigation/additional charge. But even with the service advisor saying something is not right, Mike would not admit something was wrong, nor have the time to see for himself. I could understand if I were complaining about them not finding a small scratch, but the headlights not working? Isn't that, you know, a SAFETY issue? I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with Mike, so paid my tab and left.

To add insult to injury, after leaving, I noticed a bunch of smudge marks/glue/black goo on the base of the windshield. Yup, they didn't even bother to clean up after gluing the vents down. I'm not saying I could have done a better job being it's such a tight confine, but the marks left on the windshield is plain laziness. Trying to take pictures though it's tough to capture, but very obvious in person. And another kicker, looking at the checklist again now, lines 101 thru 121 are not checked. Those JUST SO happen to be under Road Test/Performance and Post Road Test.

Bottom line. If this is the sort of quality to expect from Star Motor Cars, I'd run far and fast before buying any of their 'certified' cars.
is this place the Mercedes dealer also? About 18 months ago looking at a vantage... worked out a cash deal had a flight to drive and inspect the car. They texted me while on way to airport saying they sold car...I guess my mistake for not putting down deposit.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 AM
Yup, they have a Mercedes and Volvo dealership in the same complex.

I have an appointment for Lucas Auto next Friday the 3rd. Once I get their review so it's not just my word vs theirs, I'll send something off to Star Motor Cars owner and AM corporate.