Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage V12s hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:24 PM
cetro is on a distinguished road
Vantage V12s hood

I just purchased a 2017 V12s Vantage, should it have any insulation under the hood?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
No, they do not have any insulation on the hood. I can't find any pictures, but maybe a member that has one can post a picture.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Redpants, is that pic from a V12 Vantage?

Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cetro
I just purchased a 2017 V12s Vantage, should it have any insulation under the hood?

Thanks
None on mine.

Congrats on the V12S purchase btw. What color?

Old 07-29-2018, 02:20 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
With all those open vents it make you wonder what it's "insulating"! They probably left it off to save a pound.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Every time I wash the car I think of what it's doing with the engine - but somehow it always looks clean after a wash even though a lot of water (and soapy water) goes through those vents.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by V12Vin
None on mine.

Congrats on the V12S purchase btw. What color?
Thanks, It's Skyfall Silver

Old 07-30-2018, 04:12 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Why is it there?

Being a weight weenie several years ago I considered deleting the underhood insulator on my 2007 V8V.

I asked Kyle, my mechanic at AM of Troy, heat insulation, protecting the paint on the bonnet, or sound insulation, providing a more luxurious driving experience for the owner, maybe both? "Sound", he said, without hesitation. So off it came from my machine. I was surprised at how little it weighed for a component covering such a large surface area.

Last month my V8V and I participated in Ford's annual Product Development Car Show. Invitees include Ford active and retired employees and their hobby cars, trucks, tractors, of all makes foreign and domestic. Also participating was a recently retired Chief Engineer with his 2015 V12V. I looked at the underside of his bonnet, no insulator, and no witness marks of there ever having been one installed.

At Ford incycle component deletions were usually responses to higher management seeking cost reductions. We called them Profit Improvement Programs, or PIP, for short. A deleted insulator,such as this, was said to have been "PIPed"..

Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I would guess no insulation because of all the tremendous amount of water that can fall through those vents.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
The last few years of Vanquish also have deleted the insulation. It never really fit well and curled up on the edges from the heat.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by J doubleU
The last few years of Vanquish also have deleted the insulation. It never really fit well and curled up on the edges from the heat.
Ahh, I thought mine was the only problem. Gave up trying to fix the curling edges, so maybe I'll just remove it instead.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Interesting. AFAIK, my '09 V8V did have underhood insulation, but my '12 V12V did not, and my current V12VS does not.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:24 AM
Liilpa09 is on a distinguished road
Reviving an old thread, has anyone removed the hood insulation liner on a DBS? The one on the car currently should either be replaced or painted with some high temp paint but I think I'd rather remove it if others have done so without any damage to the hood from heat. It's poorly designed and rubs on the central cross brace as well causing scuffs.
I removed the liner on both of my old m3s with no issues and assuming I'll have the same outcome here?

Old 01-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Later model Vanquish hood liners were deleted from the factory, most likely for the same reason. They are a different material but it curls up from the heat and have a poor appearance. If these cars didn't have hood vents I could see utilizing insulation. I vote for removal.