Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sticking Ignition switch

Old 09-23-2018, 03:59 PM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Sticking Ignition switch

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a sticking Ignition switch on a late model Vantage? This spring the key on my 2014 started sticking in the dock and wouldn't always pop out when pressed to shut off the ignition. At first I thought it was just sticky after sitting during the winter, but it hasn't changed all summer. I can get it to release after multiple presses but at some point in worried that I'll be stuck not being able to shut the car off ( I can always force stalll it in an emergency). This happens with both the crystal key and the plastic one, so I know it isn't the key causing it.

I've searched the forums and haven't found anything similar. Talked to the dealer and their suggestion is a very expensive replacement of the entire assembly. Has anyone else encountered this?

Old 09-23-2018, 05:49 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I'm sure if you replaced everything it should work like new. Keys can stick in the chrome surround from the smallest things. A piece of scotch tape from a valet visit, cracked case or swollen buttons on the plastic key. Even the chrome surface could be delaminated on the inside surfaces. Take a look inside using a pen or pencil (#2 only acceptable) slowly press down about half the key length, Q-tip with some goo-gone or glass cleaner. If its damaged you should replace just the bezel that's the surface area that the key resides in.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AMCan
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a sticking Ignition switch on a late model Vantage? This spring the key on my 2014 started sticking in the dock and wouldn't always pop out when pressed to shut off the ignition. At first I thought it was just sticky after sitting during the winter, but it hasn't changed all summer. I can get it to release after multiple presses but at some point in worried that I'll be stuck not being able to shut the car off ( I can always force stalll it in an emergency). This happens with both the crystal key and the plastic one, so I know it isn't the key causing it.

I've searched the forums and haven't found anything similar. Talked to the dealer and their suggestion is a very expensive replacement of the entire assembly. Has anyone else encountered this?
My suggestion is offered without any precedent to support it, but have you tried coating the keys with a bit of WD40 or some other light lubricant?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Thanks

Originally Posted by J doubleU
I'm sure if you replaced everything it should work like new. Keys can stick in the chrome surround from the smallest things. A piece of scotch tape from a valet visit, cracked case or swollen buttons on the plastic key. Even the chrome surface could be delaminated on the inside surfaces. Take a look inside using a pen or pencil (#2 only acceptable) slowly press down about half the key length, Q-tip with some goo-gone or glass cleaner. If its damaged you should replace just the bezel that's the surface area that the key resides in.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Also, you may want to try a little dry lubricant on a long stick cotton swab ...i did this to my Volvo ands BMW

Old 09-25-2018, 06:47 PM
slade is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MRCW
Also, you may want to try a little dry lubricant on a long stick cotton swab ...i did this to my Volvo ands BMW

I had the same thing happen on my 09 vantage. It was the outer plastic bezel that was distorted, I replaced it and no more sticking. I could duplicate it after I removed bezel by slidind the key though the old one, it would stick all the time.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Sticking key

I have the same problem with my 2014 V8V. Talked to the dealer and it's a $1500+ repair. Going to take the thing apart later in the season and see what's happening. Will post if successful. Would love to hear from anyone who's found the cause and/or a solution.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM
CardiffArms is an unknown quantity at this point
@AMCan I've had my 7000-mile 2015 V8V GT for just a month. On weekend #1 we went for a lovely drive up to Maine, with a handful of stops along the way. On one of those stops, I felt some slight mechanical resistance inserting the ECU but a gentle coax got things working ok. It didn't feel like the ECU was just tight in the dock; it was more of a mechanical resistance, as if the mechanism that normally latches onto the two recesses was not latching correctly.

Then one evening in week #2 I arrived home from work and parked out on the drive. All good. Went to pull it into the garage at 10pm, pushed the ECU in and the car started just fine, but the ECU did not return to be flush with the surface. Of course there is nothing to grab and pull, and I couldn't do anything to convince it to move. After 10 minutes or so I decided to stall the car. Easy. Except the ECU was still in the ignition position so the whole car was still lit up like a Christmas tree. There was nothing else to do but disconnect the battery. After doing that I played with it for a while, gently thumping the dash to inspire some movement. During one of those thumps the ECU moved up so the glass was flush with the surface; still nothing grab-able so I got some sticky tape and was able to just lift the ECU out. There was nothing holding it in the Docking Station at all. The ECU was clearly no longer engaged with the docking mechanism. Tough to get really good photos but you can see below that the glass Aston Martin logo (that's normally at the surface) was stuck at the bottom of the dock. You can just about see a black plastic flap along the bottom of the logo; that was flopping around, clearly not its normal function!

Long story short, next day it was on a flatbed to AMNE who were quickly able to confirm that the docking station was basically broken! Well, I suppose that IS what they would deduce. The unit doesn't look to be repair-able. And as you said, it's a $1400+ part. Thank goodness for extended warranty. Dealership said they have never seen such a failure before. Again, I suppose that IS what they would say!!

Needless to say my wife is pretty unimpressed with this shiny new lump of expensive "critical failure in week #2"! It had better be perfect from here on, otherwise the next business case for an AM will be a lot more difficult to get approved!!

Sorry @AMCan, wish I had some more positive information to share. It might be worth trying some of the previous suggestions of light application of lubrication, but not 100% sure that will 'fix' the problem. Let us know how you get on.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:53 PM
Astonpilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever get an answer to your glass key eject out issue?

Old 10-30-2019, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Astonpilot
Did you ever get an answer to your glass key eject out issue?
Was just wondering the same. I’m still curious about what in there can ‘fail’!

A couple of months after the docking station was replaced I spotted that the piano black console surrounding it has a crack running from top right corner of the nav opening to the top edge of the console. Hidden from the drivers position by the nav when it is open so only spotted it when my wife was driving. The conspiracy theorist in me would question whether that was a direct result of it being removed to replace the dock. Hmm. Of course it’s not covered by the extended service contract as it is ‘cosmetic’. And it’s a $1600 part. For a piece of plastic. Can’t justify that. Anyone have long term experience of vinyl wrapping the console?

Ok. Whinge-ing over!

Cheers

Old 11-04-2019, 09:13 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CardiffArms
Was just wondering the same. I’m still curious about what in there can ‘fail’!

A couple of months after the docking station was replaced I spotted that the piano black console surrounding it has a crack running from top right corner of the nav opening to the top edge of the console. Hidden from the drivers position by the nav when it is open so only spotted it when my wife was driving. The conspiracy theorist in me would question whether that was a direct result of it being removed to replace the dock. Hmm. Of course it’s not covered by the extended service contract as it is ‘cosmetic’. And it’s a $1600 part. For a piece of plastic. Can’t justify that. Anyone have long term experience of vinyl wrapping the console?

Ok. Whinge-ing over!

Cheers
Actually the piano black is not plastic but is wood that is lacquered and polished and its the lacquer that cracks from heat and temp changes. That said in my opinion is still ugly. I had Madera concepts refinish mine in burled walnut for under $1000 and think it looks worlds better than the stock piano black piece. They can do just about any other veneer that your like if your not a burl walnut fan

Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by papigko
Actually the piano black is not plastic but is wood that is lacquered and polished and its the lacquer that cracks from heat and temp changes. That said in my opinion is still ugly. I had Madera concepts refinish mine in burled walnut for under $1000 and think it looks worlds better than the stock piano black piece. They can do just about any other veneer that your like if your not a burl walnut fan
@papigko, thanks for letting me know that. I love the walnut look, but have to say that in my Vantage I'm really good with the piano black finish as it goes nicely with the rest of the interior colors. I may check into Madera, or find somewhere a little closer to home, and hopefully their work will stand up to the temp changes better than the original.

@AMCan, anything to report ref your docking station?

Cheers

Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Madera was able to do this for $736

Old 11-05-2019, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by papigko
Madera was able to do this for $736
Looks very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Did you remove the console yourself and ship it to Madera? I’ve seen a couple of videos of the process but curious about your experience.

Cheers

Old 11-05-2019, 05:31 PM
It was quite easy to remove the waterfall takes about 10 min to get it out and another 20-30 min to disassemble the nav and the key system but nothing too complicated
I see you’re in mass if you’re nearby I’m happy to help
i think it took them about 3 weeks to turn around the part

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sticking Ignition switch