Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Electrical Gremlins!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:06 PM
Automobilist is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical Gremlins!

My '97 DB7 I just bought arrived yesterday. While beautiful, she has a few issues to sort through.

Considering this is the cheapest A-M in the country, I've expected to do some sorting, though the seller claims it was all working great before he shipped it to me... Fortunately, the body / paint / engine / trans all seem to be fine. Having owned British cars since I was 15, I own a multimeter and know how to use it!

I might as well just list the issues, and any help / advice / etc is appreciated. I'm in the Seattle Washington region if that matters... Battery is fully charged. Fuses appear good.
  • Central locking inop
  • Headlights always on when engine running, switch does not turn them off
  • High beams will not turn on when pushing stalk forward. They will flash when stalk is pulled.
  • Taillights inop
  • Antenna inop
  • License plate lights inop
  • Dash / Instrument lights inop
  • Gear shift indicator light inop (Automatic trans)
  • Passenger (right side) exterior door handle inop

I'm not a mechanic, but am comfortable working on cars. My home shop is equipped with a lift, etc...

Thanks, I'm looking forward to sorting it all out and enjoying this gorgeous car...

Old 11-30-2018, 09:28 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Maybe try a different battery just to try it. Possibly shutting all power off, and then back on might loosen some of those Gremlins.

But, Mulitimeter, start finding where the power loos to those items are. ie.....See if the tail light connector plug that goes to the boot lid is getting any power. If not, then your issue is before that etc.... I am sure you can figure that out from there for most of those items. Might be a central fuse ground issue somewhere. But, AM Bits might be your best friend for awhile while you sort the vehicle out.

The gloss levels seem like they could come up alot on that paint. If you are interested in getting the proper equipment and doing the work yourself to correct that issue let me know. I can walk you through it.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:33 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
You won't get much help here, so don't waste your time. Post in the DB7 section of the AMOC forum where there is lots of 7 help, both regular and Vantage (many problems common to both variants). Right now there is a lengthy thread on exterior door handles not working...

Old 12-02-2018, 10:36 PM
I guess you're right...

Old 12-03-2018, 03:57 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
was the battery dead when it arrived. try dissconnecting bat and get it checked to see if its good
a failing bat will do all crazy things to astons. if the car was from a state where drl's are required the
headlights have to be programmed buy A.M. (always on) ..

Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
If you have not already found this site, there are a lot of electrical diagrams, and a service manual at http://en.aston-martin-club.com/mode...-martin-db7-30
As well, I have a copy of the ODB diagnostic manual I can send you a link to.
Matt

Old 12-03-2018, 11:37 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Yeah. Time to sift through the wiring diagrams and see if you can find a common point between everything. A fuse, connector, something. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Thanks! It's so fun chasing electrical bugs...
I will load test the battery today. Good point...

Would love a copy of the OBD test manual, Matt.

Took my first real drive in it yesterday. Excellent driving experience. Very surefooted. Not a ton of power (no surprise...) Quiet. Very smooth & comfy. Surprisingly low heat output from the heater... Outside temp around 45F. Engine temp stayed quite low, maybe it doesn't have a thermostat installed?

In all, a lot of fun...

Ed

Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
With all lights that are not wokring being related to the light switch, i'd be inclined to want the swit h diagnosed.

The lights on at all times are Canadian thing for DRL's, is this car Canadian or a USA spec that's been plated in Canada? If so then the lights have been wired or configured to be on at all times while engine is running..could very well just be the wiring of lights causing all your issues.
For high beams, usually even if in Canadian spec with lights on at all times, you must have the light switch to ON position so that the high beams can stay on, otherwise the flash to pass is the only thing that will work. (even newer models are like this)

As for the pass handle, it's mechanical so you would need to open up the door panel and see whats going on, is it just the handle linkage or the actual latch that's at fault?

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Christopher.
This is a U.S. car since new. The headlamps are always on, regardless of switch position. The taillights & license plate lights turn on and off normally through the switch. High beams only work via pull, flash to pass. Meaning, with headlamp switch ON, the high beams still do not come on.

I will open up the switch and inspect. Hoping it's a Jag part...

Does VelocityAP have any exhaust system upgrades for this I6 car? The sound is a little feeble... Also, how about opening up the intake some? It looks quite restrictive.

Ed

Old 12-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Automobilist
Thanks, Christopher.
This is a U.S. car since new. The headlamps are always on, regardless of switch position. The taillights & license plate lights turn on and off normally through the switch. High beams only work via pull, flash to pass. Meaning, with headlamp switch ON, the high beams still do not come on.

I will open up the switch and inspect. Hoping it's a Jag part...

Does VelocityAP have any exhaust system upgrades for this I6 car? The sound is a little feeble... Also, how about opening up the intake some? It looks quite restrictive.

Ed
For high beams, your just pulling back or have you tried pushing stalk forwards?

Your I6 is supercharged and stock filter is a K&N from factory, not much to the intake that I'd see restrictive? Think the funds would be better invested in a crank or sc pulley versus intake. Unfortunately, we don't have anything for the I6 at present time.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Right. Pull back, high beams on while stalk is pulled back. Push forward, nothing.

Guess we'll play around with mufflers, etc to see if we can get any more robust exhaust note.

EED

Old 12-07-2018, 11:31 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Maybe unplug the connector for the turn signal stalk and using the wiring diagram jumper the pin for the highbeam switch to see if the highbeams come on. That way you know whether it's in the stalk or somewhere else. Gotta get creative sometimes....

Old 12-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Yes. We'll try to dig into it this weekend.