Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 r

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:57 AM
3rdpedalrequired is an unknown quantity at this point
V12 r

Hi,
I'd like to buy a V12 Roadster in a manual transmission. Am I correct that it is only available in MY2016/17 and that the 2012 and on were only available in the sportshift? I believe 2012 had a limited run of 6 speeds but those were not available in the US?

Thanks for any information you can lend.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The 2015 and 2016 were sportshift. (V12S). The 2017 and the 2012 were manuals - all of them, not sure there are any Roadsters.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 PM
mick996r is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 also for the V12S Roadster as I have one.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Is your 2014 a manual or does it have sportshift?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 AM
norbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nice
There was a limited number of 2013 V12 Vantage Roadsters produced with a 6-speed. 101 cars I believe.
A V12 Vantage S Roadster was offered with a 7-speed manual in 2017. There were a total of 100 coupes and roadsters produced, the roadster appears to be much more rare than the coupe.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:09 AM
No mine has the SS111 gearbox, which was the only box offered until 2017. This box is perfectly adequate and you should not be put off because of it. A manual V12S Roadster is like hen's teeth.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Thanks! That was my suspicion. So, I will need to decide which do I desire more: V12, manual, roadster as my budget will not allow for the 2017 V12VR in a manual. I should probably research the sportshift but I have been telling my kids the only proper sports car is one equipped with a manual transmission (don't take offense - not trying to be snarky) and they will never let me live it down if I end up with something other than that!

Last edited by 3rdpedalrequired; 02-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The Sportshift is a manual transaxle - but witih an automated clutch. The proper way to drive the car is to never (ever) press the [D] button and instead drive the car exactly the same as if driving a manual modulating the gas, and instead of reaching down and pressing a lever, your pulling at the wheel the paddles.

The really nice thing is if you are feeling somewhat lazy or in traffic, it does perfect downshifts as it will not let the engine go below a certain RPM.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Most racing autos including F1 have paddle shifts now.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:22 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
There are 7 speed manual roadsters but they are stupid rare
here's the only one I could find for sale -- I do not believe that the v12 roadsters made in 2011/12 ever made it to the US

https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos...age--s/1801825

Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 3rdpedalrequired
Thanks! That was my suspicion. So, I will need to decide which do I desire more: V12, manual, roadster as my budget will not allow for the 2017 V12VR in a manual. I should probably research the sportshift but I have been telling my kids the only proper sports car is one equipped with a manual transmission (don't take offense - not trying to be snarky) and they will never let me live it down if I end up with something other than that!
I agree with you way of thinking. You will find people on this site, that love both.
it is a big purchase, if I were you. I would look for what I really want, it may take longer. But in the end, you have what you really wanted. And won’t be seconde guessing your self. If you have a good local A/M dealer, go in and ask them to help you find your dream used Vantage. They will have a lot of contacts and a dealer network. Plus when they do find your Manual V 12, they can check it over for your peace of mind. I can only imagine what a V 12 Roadster will sound like going through the gears!!!!! Good luck with your search.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 02-07-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:46 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 3rdpedalrequired
Honestly the V8 is no slouch... plenty of convertible manuals of that

Old 02-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery

I agree with you way of thinking. You will find people on this site, that love both.
it is a big purchase, if I were you. I would look for what I really want, it may take longer. But in the end, you have what you really wanted. And won’t be seconde guessing your self. If you have a good local A/M dealer, go in and ask them to help you find your dream used Vantage. They will have a lot of contacts and a dealer network. Plus when they do find your Manual V 12, they can check it over for your peace of mind. I can only imagine what a V 12 Roadster will sound like going through the gears!!!!! Good luck with your search.
Ron
Thanks for the good idea. I'll plan on doing that. I am not in a hurry. Mainly wanted to confirm what I thought to the be the case - no manual V12 roadsters from '11/12. This is such a great forum.