Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Window autodrop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
Window autodrop

An item I can't find in the owner's manual concerns the windows dropping a few millimeters to allow the door to open, specifically on a 2009 V8V:
What to do if the battery dies overnight? With no power will the door windows still somehow drop to allow the door to open? It seems to be a bit of a Catch-22 in that the door needs to be opened to access the battery to recharge it but the door won't open until the battery is recharged. What am I missing here?

Old 04-12-2019, 11:53 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the response blue2000s.
If the glass won't drop down wouldn't opening the door cause the glass to shatter? I've done the reset procedure several times in the years past but how does one get into the car the do the reset if the door can't be opened without possible glass shattering if the autodrop is inoperable?

Old 04-12-2019, 01:36 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
If your battery is going flat overnight, you have an issue. The doors open just fine without the drop feature and will not break the glass. If your a gambling man you could even close the door! If it was an issue there would be a thread about it.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:57 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Yorick
Thanks for the response blue2000s.
If the glass won't drop down wouldn't opening the door cause the glass to shatter? I've done the reset procedure several times in the years past but how does one get into the car the do the reset if the door can't be opened without possible glass shattering if the autodrop is inoperable?
As @J doubleU says, you won't break the window. If you're worried about it, you can always get in through the passenger side and roll the window down before getting in, but you don't need to. Also, as he said, if you have to keep redoing the procedure, you likely have a weak battery. You might also have a window control module that needs reprogramming/replacing. From what I understand, there are position sensors on the window mechanism that can also go bad. But these are remote possibilities compared to the battery.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:16 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
A couple months ago I couldn't open either door. They were both frozen shut. I hadn't driven it for 3 days and it was in the 20's, but both doors were locked solid. It took me 1/2 hour with a heat gun to work the drivers door open. I thought I had to get the window to drop though, so I used alot of time heating up that felt.