2010 DBS ball joints, driver seat fold motor (to access back seat) repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 07:54 PM
4FordFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 DBS ball joints, driver seat fold motor (to access back seat) repair

Hello all,

I have questions on three repairs.

1) The ball joints have just a little bit of play in them, how much is this to replace? Hard to do?

2) The motor that moves the seat up for “rear seat access” doesn’t work, or the switch doesn’t work. How bad?

3) The plastic back of the flip up navigation screen is cracked. It looks like the plastic piece comes off, I imagine a black vinyl covering would suffice as well. This common?

Old 06-07-2019, 08:53 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
There is no back seat access motor.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:42 AM
chriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nice
I think he's referring to the powered seat release. The pull-loop under the headrest will do the same thing, but it's a valid question for his shopping for a new ride.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
There is no back seat access motor.
OK, I paid for an inspection which is where these items came about.

Originally Posted by chriscmore
I think he's referring to the powered seat release. The pull-loop under the headrest will do the same thing, but it's a valid question for his shopping for a new ride.
Correct, that's exactly it. So if I can pull the loop instead I don't care much. Thank you for that!

Any idea on the ball joints? That has me a bit worried

Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 AM
chriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nicechriscmore is just really nice
By "back of the flip up navigation screen" are you referring to the domed dashboard assembly? They frequently have damage to their wood surface, so some people refinish them in various paints or wraps. I had my wood redone. Getting the larger perimeter piece and the included backside of the navigation display off is super easy, so if you have ideas on what you want to do with it, that's not a big deal.

If you're referring to the backside of the display that's covered by the dash panel, then it's not visible and various reattachment techniques can be used such as velcro. Normally, there are two long spring clips, which are easy to unlatch in order to remove the top dashboard assembly.

I consider the flip screen a non-issue since I'll never use it. It can never be as up do date as your phone. As long as it functions (for resale value) and looks perfect in the closed position, I'm happy.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 AM
No idea on the ball joints. I have a clicking in my '11 DB9 when steered hard (e.g. parking), so I'm not sure where to look for that. The AM dealer in Minny couldn't find a problem and lubed things, but it's getting worse.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aston-Marti...-/183481671580

Does this look like the right ball joint product?

Also, here's a photo of the back of the screen (when down you can see the cracks)

Old 06-07-2019, 10:20 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
That is a tie-rod end (it is a type of ball joint) Usually when someone says ball joint its the upper or lower ball joints on the A-arms. Those are a wear item but not on cars that have low miles and have been driven nice. What is the mileage and who did the inspection? AM dealer or an independent shop. The navigation panel is a complete assembly meaning replacement of the whole panel. I would source a replacement and pick anything but piano black, they are prone to cracking after a few years in the elements.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
That is a tie-rod end (it is a type of ball joint) Usually when someone says ball joint its the upper or lower ball joints on the A-arms. Those are a wear item but not on cars that have low miles and have been driven nice. What is the mileage and who did the inspection? AM dealer or an independent shop. The navigation panel is a complete assembly meaning replacement of the whole panel. I would source a replacement and pick anything but piano black, they are prone to cracking after a few years in the elements.
Damn shows you how mechanically inclined I am!

It was an independent on-site inspector. A “little bit of play at low speeds on big bumps was barely noticed”. They assumed it could be the ball joints.

Ouch on the screen, that sounds expensive as heck!

Old 06-07-2019, 10:38 AM
Mileage is 20k. I am guessing it was driven “spirited” given the fact that the tires were replaced at 15k miles and now at 20k they have 40% tread life. Car needs alignment as well.

Last edited by 4FordFamily; 06-07-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:15 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Have it aligned and ask them to check for any "WARN" parts and see if they come up with an issue. I'll bet there is nothing wrong.

If you look at Aston Bits () com they have a new piano black for around $700+ shipping. to replace existing.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Have it aligned and ask them to check for any "WARN" parts and see if they come up with an issue. I'll bet there is nothing wrong.

If you look at Aston Bits () com they have a new piano black for around $700+ shipping. to replace existing.
Thank you, I will do just that!

I wonder which suspension mode was activated at the time he came to his conclusion

Old 06-07-2019, 06:44 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
That car doesn't looked "loved". I would pass. Plenty of others out there

Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by DonBond
That car doesn't looked "loved". I would pass. Plenty of others out there
That ship sailed, the price was right. I hope you’re wrong and it turns out OK LOL.

The mechanics are good other than the potential ball joints which they weren’t alarmed by (independent inspector). The guy owned several Aston and had it serviced at one dealer and it’s a one owner car. It has its highs, but yeah I would have taken better care of it.