Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wheel Surface Rust - What to Do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Calcifer33 is on a distinguished road
Wheel Surface Rust - What to Do?

Hi everyone. My 2005 DB9, garaged with only 600 miles on it seems to have surface rust on just one of the wheels. It seems weird this would only happen to one wheel (front passenger), so I'm open to the idea that it could be something else if you guys know better than me. What do you guys think this is and how would you go about removing it without damaging the wheel finish? They have rust remover gels but I'm not sure if that would harm the finish.

BTW, I assume these wheels are aluminum, so this baffles me a bit.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Have you tried simply cleaning the wheel? That doesn't look like the wheel itself is rusting (they probably are aluminum, and they're painted and cleared)... but leaving it on there could cause issues for the finish.

My wheels occasionally look like they're rusting if I let brake dust (which consists of steel) sit on them for too long.. but it usually washes off just fine.

Last edited by Mathman85; 07-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I assume that you have tried washing it. Try using a clay bar to get the spots off. They look like the could be old brake dust that rusted. I doubt that you wheel is rusted. It is made of aluminum and painted. After the spots are gone put a good coat of wax or sealer on the wheel. Even a good cleaner wax will get the spots off. Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:01 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
That looks like rusty water spots from most likely rusty lug nut innards. Slinging the rust water when moved after washing without a proper dry cycle.Rotors are really rusty too! Guessing it gets washed and put back. I would have all the wheels remove to clean and paint the rotor edges and clean and de-rust the lug nuts and hubs.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:48 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Get yourself some CarPro Iron-X, it will remove all the rust without affecting the clear and paint. Do a search on YouTube to see the results. The rust spot are from your brake pad/rotors and not from your wheels

Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Looks like metal particals have set on the finish wet and have rusted in place. Unfortunately there is a chance that the rusting process has damaged the clearcoat on the wheels. I would try/test a mild non-acidic soap solution first with a microfiber cloth on one spot. Don't rub too hard as the remaining metal (if any) may scratch other areas. Proper drying a must after having any water on the wheels. Once you get them cleaned up your next decision ? If they clean up well, great, If not, you may want to re clear coat. Personal decision once you know what your dealing with. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Get yourself some CarPro Iron-X, it will remove all the rust without affecting the clear and paint. Do a search on YouTube to see the results. The rust spot are from your brake pad/rotors and not from your wheels
^^^ Do this -- it works great

Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by handyman2009
You beat me to the punch. Iron-X works great. Smell like crap. Clay bar/ Nano Mitt may work too.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Calcifer33 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I had not considered a clay bar and since I have one I'll try that first. Then I'll move forward. For those asking, yes I did wash them twice but to no avail. The previous owner took the car spray car washes when he washed the car and I think that's what happened. Thanks for all of the help!