Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 and V12 Vantages - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:02 PM
Matt Lane is an unknown quantity at this point
V8 and V12 Vantages - thoughts?

I've been casually looking for a prior gen Vantage V8 for a while, coupe, manual only. Not rushed at all, just looking for the right one as close to local as possible.

Issue in Canada is the very low availability of cars, and conversely the 40% currency hit on a US purchase where there are in fact many more cars to choose from.

If I will ultimately have to purchase a US car, that now has me wondering about the Vantage 12's - again, only manual coupes.

Any guidance here on the difference between the two, both the ownership experience and even the relative prices in today's market? I assume it's not a strong selling season for either under the circumstances.

If a V8, I was limiting myself to 4.7 GT's or S versions, based on what could learn about them from the 'Buying an Aston' book. Grateful to hear what you think of the comparable V12's.

Cheers

Matt

Old 04-10-2020, 10:37 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
This may sound I'm biased to V8,( because I own V8 manual) but IMO V8 handles much better, V12 is too heavy in front end. drove V12 numerous times, stick & auto. V8 is perfect for me. You have to drive them to see which one you want.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Good point - I had not really considered the weight, I'll have to look that up and see - but makes sense. Not sure how much back to back driving I'll get to do, so this is helpful input.

Cheers

Matt

Old 04-11-2020, 08:31 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
If you want a muscle car, get the V12V; if you want a sports car, get the V8V. The V8V is more about handling and grip, he V12V is more about acceleration and roasting the tires.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:15 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 007JB
This may sound I'm biased to V8,( because I own V8 manual) but IMO V8 handles much better, V12 is too heavy in front end. drove V12 numerous times, stick & auto. V8 is perfect for me. You have to drive them to see which one you want.
I've never driven, or even been in, a V12 car, but I believe the engine is not only heavier and farther forward but also higher in the chassis. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the V12 has the dry sump, which helps to set the v8 very low in the chassis. I would imagine the weight shift is likely even more significant to the chassis behavior than added weight itself. Higher CG would give the front of the car a bit more of a wollowy feeling as it encourages body lean as well as effect it's general eagerness to change direction.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:17 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 007JB
This may sound I'm biased to V8,( because I own V8 manual) but IMO V8 handles much better, V12 is too heavy in front end.

Originally Posted by Mathman85
If you want a muscle car, get the V12V; if you want a sports car, get the V8V. The V8V is more about handling and grip, he V12V is more about acceleration and roasting the tires.
To the IP, this topic has been covered so many times on this forum. A quick search will give you all the details.

Briefly, I will respectfully disagree with the above comments. I've owned a V8V and a V12V and now have a V12VS. On the road, there is no meaningful difference in handling between the V8 and V12; the slight increase in front end weight with the V12 is more than compensated for by the other advantages of the V12. Simplifying the V12 as a "muscle car" is really doing it a disservice. and characterizing the V8 as a "sports car" pushes the definition - IMO both models fill in the gap between a GT and a sports car quite nicely, but neither is purely one or the other. The engine in the V12 defines the experience and adds an exotic, special feeling to the car, without any modifications, that the V8 can't possibly match. TBH, I found the 4.7L V8 in my car a mediocre power plant at best, not particularly pleasant sounding at idle and low revs, and with ho-hum throttle response, no offence to the V8 owners here. Modified, I know it can be much, much better, but it will still never replicate the feel and sound of that large capacity V12, even when the V12 is in stock form.

From a handling point of view, there is no question the V8 feels more neutral, but the torque of the V12 gives you much more control of the car with the throttle, and both have similar mechanical grip. Assuming the V12 "wallows" if you've never driven one is a mistake...

Don't get me wrong, the V8s are still great cars, but in my experience there is no comparison.

Last edited by spinecho; 04-11-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I would check this out before you assume the manual V12 is the route to go:

Old 04-11-2020, 02:04 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
If I had to choose V12, I'd buy Vanguish (much better tranny & more HP & overall well balanced car, easier to drive with all the power. Nothing wrong v12 vantage, it's a beast with lot of torque, but for DD I prefer V8 Vantage with manual 6 speed .

Old 04-11-2020, 10:05 PM
mbmcrae is an unknown quantity at this point
I have owned both cars. They are 75% identical... not much between them in handling unless you are on a track. The design and quality of materials etc are the same. The 25% that is unique: the V8 is a bit lighter on its feet but underpowered if you are used to modern cars while the V12 exudes character, sound, and torque.

If you are look for the most "bang for buck" fo V8 all day long. The car is an astounding value and there are many versions to consider throughout its long production run. I look at prices online and it is a lot of joy for the money. The V8 is also a relatively bullet proof engine... my car had oil changes and just bits/bobs that needed attention throughout its life (shrinking lever, rattles, interior items wearing etc).

The V12 is more special and NOTHING replaces a roaring V12 Aston Martin. The torque is thrilling and the noise is probably the best in the world for this type of car. Maintenance will be more, etc. But for those that need that sound and feeling there is nothing else like it. So when I bought my second Aston it ended up being the V12 Vantage S 7 Speed Manual - but it costs a lot more than a V8 that gives you 75%+ the same experience. Pretty sure I will never sell it though :-)

Old 04-12-2020, 06:41 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The V12 Vantage just looks so much cooler and it's a V12. V12 engine has been tested more and it's also easier to check the oil on. If you hold cars for a long time, the V12 will be the more sought after version. Both versions of the Vantage are well priced in today's market.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone, this has all been very helpful. I was also able to search and read past posts (function did not work for me initially) and with this I think I've got a pretty clear picture of the advantages of each.

Thanks again.

The search continues here in Canada for now, will be sure to report back when I have one in the garage!

Cheers

Matt

Old 04-13-2020, 01:23 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
If you can afford a V12 then that's the winner. You'll have less cars to choose from so may have to compromise on color is the only thing. They also have the carbon ceramic brake discs, which you can read about the issues with those - mainly how expensive they are.

I haven't driven a v12, but I've got to believe the slightly heavier weight is forgotten with the torque and sound of the v12. I love my V8, but if I could have afforded a V12 I would have gotten one. Maybe all I needed to do was wait another few years based on current V12 pricing.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:45 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by davidm17
If you can afford a V12 then that's the winner.
This is the most mindless sentence in this thread. lol Sorry you couldn't afford a V12V, but that's not why everyone buys a V8V.

Old 04-15-2020, 11:17 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mathman85
This is the most mindless sentence in this thread. lol Sorry you couldn't afford a V12V, but that's not why everyone buys a V8V.
I'll play. If money isn't an issue why would you buy a V8 vs a V12?

Old 04-15-2020, 11:27 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I'll chime in. Right now ALL Vantages are a terrific value as long as they were not abused - if abused or not properly maintained they will be the worst investment you ever made. History is important as it is with any car, but more so with an Aston. There were a zillion or two V8 Vantages made it seems like - still they are incredible cars, but V12's are not that much more $$$ at this moment and there ain't so many made. Most V12's were delivered with pretty much everything being the most premium options and materials - not so much with the V8's that needed to be optioned out to come close to the V12's standard builds. I had more fun driving my previous V8's - but my V12S is more special - a wee bit less fun to kick around but hardly noticeable - it's simply more special, and more likely to become collector status - someday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 and V12 Vantages - thoughts?