Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Checking oil…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Argus is infamous around these parts
Checking oil…

I have an 207 Vantage. I check the oil at least twice a week. When the car has been sitting for a few hours or day the oil is at the max line on the dipstick. If I follow the directions in the manual the oil is all the way to the op of the flat park of the stick. Well above the max line. How about some advice. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:35 PM
LuvBurninFuel is infamous around these parts
Suck oil out of the top till it's at the correct level. Its been over filled. Mine shows no oil on the dip stick when cold.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:14 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
+1 if your doing it right, they did something wrong previously.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:31 AM
MAUMAU is infamous around these parts
Make sure that after you run the car as per instructions, that you remove the dipstick, wipe it down, and then check the oil. If you do not do this it will appear as if it is overfilled when it is not.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:01 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I hated checking the oil on the V8V. V12 is much easier.

Old 07-20-2021, 05:45 PM
Argus is infamous around these parts
Pumped the oil out it was overfilled by the person I purchased the car from. It just seems weird to check the dip stick and nothing on the thing.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:16 PM
Marmot is infamous around these parts
Not going to lie. I am still perplexed by the oil check procedure and have read the owners manual front to back and that particular section repeatedly. I am easily confused but it seems excessively complex a procedure to check the oil level. 2007 Vantage, 4.3.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:28 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marmot
Not going to lie. I am still perplexed by the oil check procedure and have read the owners manual front to back and that particular section repeatedly. I am easily confused but it seems excessively complex a procedure to check the oil level. 2007 Vantage, 4.3.
If I had kept the V8V longer, I would've done a walk through on how to check the oil with a tech at the dealership. Perhaps those who are unsure on how to check can do the same?

Old 07-21-2021, 02:52 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
If I had kept the V8V longer, I would've done a walk through on how to check the oil with a tech at the dealership. Perhaps those who are unsure on how to check can do the same?
dry sump procedures are different, as the oil reservoir is not the oil pan but a separate tank. in order to adequately check the correct volume of oil in the system the engine needs to be run briefly to get all the oil running throughout the engine and then checked immediately after shutting down the engine...

it allows for a lower engine placement, improved CG/ handling, larger oil capacity, but is more complex and expensive.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:40 AM
I will be at the dealer on Monday for annual service. I'll ask for a walk through and report back on what I am shown.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:02 AM
LuvBurninFuel is infamous around these parts
It's an extremely easy procedure. In the owners manual.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:20 AM
Mine also shows no oil on the dip stick when cold. This seems to be in accordance with the owners manual as a tutorial.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:15 PM
61mga is infamous around these parts
manufacturers of cars with dry or semi-dry oil reservoirs always find it difficult to explain to their owners how to check their oil. and if they try, owners will still get it wrong...soooo some manufacturers have resorted to putting in dashboard electronic oil level measuring systems that prohibit measurement at certain times. example: i have to wait 30 minutes after i turn off the car (porsche cayman) to get a reading. if the car is cold (a term to be determined by the ECU of course) it will give me a measurement on startup, but don't dare turn off the car or you'll be forced to wait 30 minutes to get a second reading!