Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ok getting ready to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 PM
ef996TT is on a distinguished road
Ok getting ready to pull the trigger

Ok,

i am getting ready t get an AM....Up in Seattle not too many arround, I gave up the used Vanquish...so I am trying to get a better feel for a used db9 or a new, almost new vantage...and I need to find out what are the pro and cons, the good the bad......HELP ME MAKE AN EDUCATED DECISION,
The car will be used as a week end car...no track...
So what to do? reliabilty?options to avoid? options to have???
Thanks in Advance for the inputs

Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 PM
CJA
CJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the rough
It's a beautiful car and fun to drive. The only negative aspect is the gas mileage... About 12 MPG. From a driving point of view, you should also try to keep it in perspective and not compare it to your turbo. It's more of an elegant car that you can have some fun in.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
thanks
just trying to decide between the two....used db9 or vantage

Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned
TommyBahama is on a distinguished road
do you have little kids? the bd9 does offer the 2 back seats sorta.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Well, since you've eliminated the Vanq, for me, the DB9 over the V8 Vantage. Every day and twice on Sundays. The DB9 is relatively longer, sleeker and far more "elegant", IMO. While I don't care for the DB9 seats very much at all, I do think it's got far more presence than the "stubby" Vantage, which always feels cramped to me.

I also think the DB9 is in another performance league than the Vantage. The DB9 is roughly equivalent to the Vanq S (in terms of bhp and, if you watch TopGear at all, in track times...at $100K less!). The Vantage is an entry-level 911 competitor. Certainly nothing to sneeze at, but the Vanq S is often compared to the 575 Maranello. The DB9 is probably more in the league of a 360 Modena (not up to a 430). Just my opinion, of course, but two vastly different cars.

CW

Old 05-24-2007, 09:28 PM
eric77 is on a distinguished road
I personally prefer the vantage. I think it is am's best looking car. Ignoring appearance, the db9 is more of a touring car whereas the vantage is more of a sports car. I think if you want a car that is a little more sporty, but still comfortable enough to drive every day then the vantage is perfect, but if you want something comfortable to cruise around in that is also pretty damn quick then the db9 may be the better choice.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Vantage fun fun fun to drive, DB9 is more of a laid back GT.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:09 AM
hamp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Vantage fun fun fun to drive, DB9 is more of a laid back GT.
The DB9 is waaaaaay more sporty then a GT, but that's just my two cents.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks
i dont have kids....just a dog and he drives my subaru.......
Keep your comments coming...I appreciate them
also is the db9 on its last leg? will it be replaced anytime soon?

Old 05-25-2007, 01:43 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Don't know how much longer the current DB9 has, but it is the basis for the recently confirmed DBS. So, expect it to stick around at least until the Vanq replacement arrives (possibly '08, but more likely '09). Also, the Rapide (4-door) will enter production soon, so the DB9/DBS will remain at the top of the heap until the Vanq reemerges.

CW

Old 05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks
after doing more research....it sems that the AMV8 has better reviews for finishings...intererior performance that the db9...or am I being blind sidded??

Old 05-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
If you can afford even a used DB9 (probably still in the $140K range), then you can swing a LOADED V8 Vantage. The Vantage would be my choice. I almost got the Vantage (name was on the list), but a good friend and test driver told me I'd regret it compared to the Carrera S. Given a choice today, it would be between the GT3 and the Vantage. The Vantage is the best-looking car out there...

PLEASE PLEASE be creative with the colors - too many gray/black, red/black, etc. out there. It's a car that deserves a cool color set.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 PM
riozilla is on a distinguished road
Different kinds of cars - you don't really state what you are looking for or whats important to you. Have you driven both? I say DB9 but I am biased..

Me + mine:

Old 05-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Ok thanks again.

I am not looking for a track car....that s what the TT is there for.....I am looking to get a sporty, somewhat comfortable, luxury, gt car to take to week end trips, cruising.......still want power
I am just trying to gage which one...from a driver s perspective, value. maintenace, reliability, issues....i would rather ask you guys who own the car rather than a dealer who will tell me what I want ....

Riozilla.....I like your DB9

Old 06-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
OK - I did the track thing - spons. by AM @ Sebring a couple of weeks ago (great event too - at Porsche standards all the way). I was very nervy in that I thought I would be way disappointed - nope !!!! Sebring is my play ground and the Vantage was a blast - I would have no problem keeping up w/ a 997 S on that course (and passing most as new P owners can not drive yet). Only ***** is the pedal placement in the AM 8 - a real pain for heal-toe effort on the track (confirmed by racers too). Instructor from England tried to better my laps and went off into the dirt - we were LOAOff at that one - so we were running them hard. Yep I just sold the tt and am still thinking about the AM 8 - yes not the same power (my tt was a TechArt puppy w/ 550 HP - and no the "650 HP" braggers could not keep up on the track) but what a fun ride - and not everyone has one. So I am still thinking ... but a step closer. My 2c's worth ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok getting ready to pull the trigger