Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RS5 - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
RS5 - Worth it?

I am researching new 5 version Audi's and see that in 2013 the RS5 was released. Seems like a great car at great expense over an S5. What is the general take on this board, is it worth it. Or should I get an S5 and make my own mods? Tanx!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
i think s5 is a great choice for a classy, performance street car thats not crazy expensive esp if you need awd. m3 is probably better if want to track drive and dont need awd

imo, rs5 is too expensive to justify. close enough in $ to spend the extra for a gtr. totally different league of performance with similar practicality, style, interior, etc.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM
BADRS4 is on a distinguished road
Agreed! ^^ Audi kind of let us down with the RS5 to be honest. From what I read, this will be the last NA RS car(Both the RS4 and RS5). The next one will have turbos that we can easily boost up to really compete with the faster cars (new M3, GTR, etc) Even the new S6 is faster with dual turbo V8....0-60 in 3.6 stock!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
RS cars are always special and unique cars and the RS5 is the best looking car after the R8 in the Audi line-up and in general imho.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
APR is working on a supercharger for the '13 RS5 as we speak, check A5OC and Audiworld/zine... but a tune on the already supercharged S5 V6 will yield over 400 hp...that will work for me. The '13 S5's ECU is new, so just waiting for the tuning companies to adapt. Currently awaiting an AWE tuning exhaust very soon...gonna be nice.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 AM
orlanderlv is on a distinguished road
Checked out the RS5 at the local dealership a couple of weekends ago. Way over priced for what you get but it is the second best looking Audi (after the R8). Just doesnt make sense to buy it given the price point though.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
sakimano will become famous soon enoughsakimano will become famous soon enough
I thought it was $69,000 base price? Doesn't seem too absurd.

I think the car is quite special. I wish it was maybe a bit more powerful, but that engine is excellent and paired with that transmission the car will do very well. I've seen a bunch in the past month (mostly in Europe) and they're menacing.

The engine having forged internals and 40% more displacement than the 3.0 supercharged (which only has cast internals) means the RS5, like the RS4 and R8 4.2 which share that engine or closely related engines, have pushed up to 600 wheel horsepower. That's pretty compelling if you want to go forced induction.

Of course you can always save a few bucks for the less exclusive S5 4.2 FSI which is a closely related engine and can handle 500 wheel horsepower comfortably, as TTS have showed us in the UK.

All in all, you can't really lose. Just depends what you want from it. If youwanted a nice new car with a standout appearance, great power out of the box, and weren't interested in modifications, the RS5 would be a great car to own.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
LJH
LJH is on a distinguished road
It is a pretty car but all the UK based magazines (They are brutally honest) that have tested it bashed its driving dynamics.

Cheers,
Jim

Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I keep wanting to get an Audi, but everytime I drive and compare it to the other german competitors, it falls short. A friend of mine who lives in Germany half the year, says that most germans own Audi over the other brands.
Like when I wanted to get a 4 door sedan for commuting to work as a DD, I compared the A6 to the E350 bluetec and the 5 series. The A6 had the best infotainment and acceleratoin, but was 1000/mo for a 36month lease and got only 28mpg. The bluetec costs 600/mo for 24month lease, has massage seats, fully loaded, and gets 40mpg and over 600miles to a tank. There was not question about which to get after those comparisons. Plus the bluetec has 400lb of tq.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
I ordered a Rs5 I also had an opportunity to own anything I wanted.

I have owned a ton of cars over the years and I think that Audi has the perfect balance of performance and luxury in a daily driver.

The Rs5 is a great all around car it is better built than its rivals from BMW and the GTR.
Since its a RS car I wont have to worry about seeing myself coming and going everywhere either.

Those who know what a RS model represents know and those that dont.. Well im perfectly fine looking like another Audi

Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 PM
b45h1r is on a distinguished road
^This.

I also had to decide what to buy after my RS4 which I loved.
New porsche interesting, but not really a porsche guy.
Dislike supercars, but considered the R8 spyder (nixed due to family issues and needs to function as DD)
GTR is all world in performance, but mundane in looks and the interior is indistinguishable from the maxima. Don't want
BMW M3...meh. Either you want one or you don't
Considered the C63 AMG black, sounds AMAZING. Really dislike Benz styling though.

In the end the only car that intrigued me was the RS5. Good looking, great interior, rare. Kind of a refined experience.

Don't want an S5. The price per performance game is pointless. There is NO standard car that some cheaper version with a modest tune can't beat on paper. This became clear to me when i saw a guy with a tuned Audi R8 V8 talk about how much better it was than the Audi R8 V10.

Buy the one you like the best. Period.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Applause^!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by b45h1r
^This.

I also had to decide what to buy after my RS4 which I loved.
New porsche interesting, but not really a porsche guy.
Dislike supercars, but considered the R8 spyder (nixed due to family issues and needs to function as DD)
GTR is all world in performance, but mundane in looks and the interior is indistinguishable from the maxima. Don't want
BMW M3...meh. Either you want one or you don't
Considered the C63 AMG black, sounds AMAZING. Really dislike Benz styling though.

In the end the only car that intrigued me was the RS5. Good looking, great interior, rare. Kind of a refined experience.

Don't want an S5. The price per performance game is pointless. There is NO standard car that some cheaper version with a modest tune can't beat on paper. This became clear to me when i saw a guy with a tuned Audi R8 V8 talk about how much better it was than the Audi R8 V10.

Buy the one you like the best. Period.
Great feedback from everyone. I hear ya on the unique thing, for my fun car I have an Aston vantage v8, very unique and IMHO the best looking car on the road. It will never blow away a porsche, R8, Lambo, etc, but for the most part I do not need to start it for people to be impressed, including me.

As for the Audi 5, I think the S5 is for me. Did the engine change in 2013 to a 6 cylinder?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes

Great engine but a bit lacking in character or interest vs the 4.2

Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jmargolese
Great feedback from everyone. I hear ya on the unique thing, for my fun car I have an Aston vantage v8, very unique and IMHO the best looking car on the road. It will never blow away a porsche, R8, Lambo, etc, but for the most part I do not need to start it for people to be impressed, including me.

As for the Audi 5, I think the S5 is for me. Did the engine change in 2013 to a 6 cylinder?
Yes the new s5 is 3.0 supercharged from the S4.

I just sold my 10 S4 which we used to develop parts on.

In terms of performance it the 3.0 blows away the 4.2
Its lighter more responsive and delivers power better not to mention you dont see your self at the pump every 220 -230 miles... Had the first 08 S5 4.2 in Ca when Audi launched the car at the LA Auto Show.

I think the S5 with the 3.0 and a few goodies such as a GIAC tune, GMG headers and hi flow cats, a complete GMG WC exhaust and our fully dampened lower crank pulley bumps the power in the 410-425 range on pump gas...

I think the S5 with the 3.0 will be a great car and handle much better than the 4.2 version.

Well thats my 02. on the matter, in the meantime ........... Sept 15th cant get here soon enough.............. I want my RS5 NOW !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RS5 - Worth it?