Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM
ericbyron is on a distinguished road
Considering buying CGT

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum.
I'm considering buying a CGT 07.
My previous cars were (Nissan GT-R 35 and a Lambo Diablo SV).
Two very different beasts.
What I worry about is not the purchase price of the Bentley but the cost of repairs + depreciation.
For instance, the Diablo drove me wild with the cost of repair over time, while the GT-R has been fault free over the 2 years of ownership.
As my son is now getting bigger and sometimes complain about the rear seats and harsh ride in the GT-R (my favorite for the time), so I was toying with the idea of the Bentley GT.
However, I have heard numerous nightmare repair bills owners face.
To be honest, I was reluctant to sell the GT-R (maybe not to everyones taste) but I admire it for its ability and reliability (not to mention low cost).
Can anyone one offer your kind advice about the GT?
The cost of repairs/reliability.
The depreciation (which seems very steep) compared to my previous cars.
Thanks.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I'd be very interested in hearing about your experience in finding out about the nightmare bills. Before I bought mine a year ago I talked to a lot of people in the industry, and spent time on the forums, and the CGT seemed to have above average reliability with very few repairs needed.

So I hope you got your facts wrong!

As for the rest of your questions, we'll be repeating what is already here on this forum - which has the best collection of pre-purchase answers I've seen so far for the CGT.

Good luck on your search for the right Bentley!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I would question the idea of buy a GT for its' big back seat? May be better than the Mercedes SL or the Jaguar XKR but not like a nice family sedan. If I needed back seats for real people I'd look into the new Audi S8.

Have you drove one? The ride is sumptuous and tight which I did not find in any other car that I test drove. There is no harsh ride, period. I thought about the GTR but it was on the sport side of the total driving package for me. I wanted style, luxury and power and found all to my liking in an 07 GTC.

I did NOT do a lot of research about repairs and cost of ownership and I hope for the best, time will tell. I do expect and hand made car of this price range to have good reliability.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM
ericbyron is on a distinguished road
Thank you guys for your comments.
From where I live the cost of repairs to a Bentley is ridiculous.
There is only 1 dealer and they really charge for it.
I spoke to some owners yesterday and I quote as they said;

Cost of 1 tire US$ 1923
Cost of 1 shock absorber US$ 10256
Cost of rear light assembly US$ 12820

The depreciation is also very very steep. We have a huge car tax in our country.
The cost of a new 2011 CGT Super Sports is aorund US$ 540,000.
The cost of a 2007 CGT is around US$ 166,000.
One owner in fact asked me not to consider the Bentley at all.
I think I cannot stomach the cost of such repairs and depreciation.
In regards to the GT-R, I've owned it for 2 years, and when I sold on it had only lost 4% in value. My best achievement so far. Even my wife was surprised that it could be sold so well .

Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
That price is several times higher than Ferrari's service. I don't think tires can cost $2k each. Much be misinformation.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:05 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Eric,
As you live in Hong Kong, yes am sure servicing and various parts costs may vary widely compared to Europe and the States. The tire price does indeed seem quite high, am sure you could easily get someone from the States to ship them to you and even with high import duty they may be less costly to you. If you are mechanically inclined, most of it is simply oil and filter changes, which many such skilled people in Hong Kong can do for lowish cost as it is quite easy. At the 4 year/40k miles is where you may have to take it to the dealer for the deeper, more involved service intervale. Hope this helps.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 11-19-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Well If those prices are accurate then the cost of ownership is to high, period. I like a good hamburger but I won't pay $500 buck for one. The GT is a great car but the value has to part of the package.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Dr. Disaster,

He lives in Hong Kong, and import duties on cars is exceedingly high. This also pertains to other brands like Buick, Ferrari, Harley Davidson, etc. Am sure you realize that upwards of 300% import duty of foreign goods is normal in various countries like Singapore, Brazil, China, etc. So it is not limited to China or Bentley, it spans a wide variety of goods/countries.

Did you know the taxation of cigarettes, gasoline, etc in the USA is so high it can eclipse the 'cost' by 200% (doubling the retail cost to consumers). Gasoline in the UK/Europe is around $10 a gallon.

Of course the list can go on and on. So as you can see, don't blame Bentley or even automobile dealers, blame is firmly on the country due to their taxation policy for various reasons including to try and stem their addiction of needless Empire military, entitlement programs, etc. As an example, just remember when those in America talk about 'full faith and credit', they are referring to the ability to tax citizens endlessly to pay for servicing the debt (yet obviously never paying off the principle). This is not a political post, it is merely showing how countries have import duty/taxes and how it can alter the cost of items/services.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Stephen your post is well taken and I will not go into my feeling of intrusive and overbearing governments,,,,,,,,,,oops just did.

What a shame that your location on the planet overly influences your ability to enjoy life.

To ericbyron I say good luck and enjoy what ever car you purchase.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM
ccwboy will become famous soon enough
you will happy more then everything even spend money to repair.is just like spend some money to make your honey smile.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by ccwboy
you will happy more then everything even spend money to repair.is just like spend some money to make your honey smile.
Gotta love this philosophy. Sure is one positive way to spin the post. As we say round chere, you da man.