Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

A/C To Slow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
A/C To Slow

I was out last week and got pretty irritated with the air-conditioning. The A/C would not blow cold air for to long IMO. I can understand when the motor is cold that most cars are programmed to avoid blowing hot air onto the occupants but this delay was happening every time you restarted the car even when the engine was still at operating temperature.

I can hear the air in the dash but none will come out of the vents. I need to time the actual delay but it seems to long to ride in a hot car with the windows rolled up.

Is this typical of your car? Can this function be reprogrammed?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Normal first few minutes of the car sensing the AC in not fully operational (so as not to blow hot air on you), then nice cold air. Normal stuff. Was it you or other guys that just filled theirs recently? Maybe the timing is such that many of us are due for a refill?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
It was the other guys topping off the freon. Mine is nice nad cold once it starts blowing. My issue is with the fact that after driving the car for an hour you can shut it off foe a couple of minutes and it will delay giving air to the cabin for a minute or two. I think this is to long as I know that the machinery is fully capable of full function within seconds.

Yes i am hypercritical but this is not a low level entry car, according to purchase price. I would like the option of a manuel override when desired. How is driving this thing me or the ECU?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Who is driving this thing me or the ECU?
The Bentley is powered by your dreams and driven by passion.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
The Bentley is powered by your dreams and driven by passion.
Then I have a passion not to roast in my own car.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
On the subject of the AC are the outer vents not as cold as the centre?

Thanks
J

Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by jc_333
On the subject of the AC are the outer vents not as cold as the centre?

Thanks
J
Never noticed that but I expect a very accurate measuring would be required to answer that.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
the delay you guys are talking about is actually for the blower motor. when you turn the car on the blower motor slowly comes up to speed rather then full blast right of the bat. as far as the issue goes if i had any, id put money down that your fresh air/ recirculation flap motors are going bad. these will start off by being slow then will stick intermittently then just full out fail. when they fail there are generally three situations 1) they fail closed this will block all air flow you will here the blower motor running but nothing comes out of the vents. 2) they fail at half open this will give you air flow but will be reduced thus causing insufficient cooling of the air and you will have warm a/c. 3) they fail wide open and you never notice unless you play with the recirculation alot and can tell the difference if its on or not. the only way to tell for sure is to check the faults in the hvac control module or wait till they fail and verify they are not moving. just a wild guess based on you can here the air but cant feel it. its a pretty common problem way down here in Florida.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 AM
That sounds reasonable. I definitely hear the blower motor up in the dash but it does not really sound like it is building revs. It appears to run at full for a minute before any comes out the vents. I have learned to have window down in real hot weather just to have some air flow and roll them up when the cool air does come.

I am hoping for scenario #3, if it is a motor failure since I never use the recirculate mode.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Roll with the top down Doc.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
Roll with the top down Doc.
Hm? I'll try that

Coming back from Knoxville last night I had to put a jacket on. I was not going to put the top up.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:04 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Dr.D, have you figure out the problem with the a/c control?

i am having similar issue, but its weird as when i press "auto" function, it blows to cabin then it blows no where, than it blows cabin again, and no where. it goes back and forth in 5 min or so term.

confused... if it needs new actuator, hows the fix for it?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Have not used the ac in months but i never did figure anything out. It seems to know not to blow hot air on me when I first get into the car but it is funny that I do hear air blowing some where just no in to the cabin. I'd almost prefer the hot air as to the stifling no air at all.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
I live in sunny South Florida where the A/C is on most of the time and I can say definitively, after 5 years of GTC ownership of 3 cars, that the A/C controls suck! Not only does it take awhile to blow cold and blow hard, the driver's left vent always blows warmer than the other vents. I've found this anomaly in each of 3 GTCs so I guess it's not an anomaly but is by design, for some unknown - and irritating -reason. My other pet peeve is that the omniscient Bentley engineers think they know what fan speed you really want and therefore have programmed the "manual" mode to actually not be manual at all: If I select 3 bars of fan speed it changes to two, or one, or four or five. I keep changing it to suit my preference and it keeps fighting me, so there really is no true manual mode because the A/C thinks it knows better than you what is comfortable. Been the same issue in all 3 cars so again, not an anomaly, just some designed-in conceit on the part of the engineers who designed the system.
I feel so much better now that I've gotten that off my chest! :-)

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Sannibel I understand your frustration. I really think there is nothing wrong with my AC because it works just like it was designed to. I just hate the design. Many cars are over automated IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A/C To Slow