Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Boot/trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 AM
nrick is on a distinguished road
Fuse 42 blown, 15a in the boot.

Worked 3 or 4 times and then is now jammed in the open position. Any ideas? I may have to remove the latch to have a look.

Thanks

Neill

Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
obviously you replace the fuse,i would leave it for 15 mins to let it cool down or timeout if you pressed it a few times in a row then go back to it,what do you mean jammed ?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by bentleytech
obviously you replace the fuse,i would leave it for 15 mins to let it cool down or timeout if you pressed it a few times in a row then go back to it,what do you mean jammed ?
The latch wouldn't unlock, replaced the fuse seemed fine. Tried it one last time and it has locked in the open position. It won't catch now like it is mechanically jammed. Even the manual release is solid?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
did you recheck the fuse,and can you try locking and unlocking car quickly before alarm sirens and then start car and then see what happens

Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Looking at the Phaeton forums there are quite a few with loom faults on the boot? How many Bentley looms have failed?

Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM
i personally have not seen but it is worth checking especially as fuse blew.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 PM
so I took the latch apart, it was very stiff, no wonder the manual release struggled. I put it back together confident that the latching motor was fried but I had a thought about putting 12v across it and it ran fine. Great operation but not in the car in automatic mode? I have left it in manual mode and disconnected for the moment on the release but I'll have to figure out what I am going to do. To me the latch is working fine but it isn't getting a signal or is confused. I checked both batteries and they are fine, it makes no difference if the engine is running or not. Could it be the switch in the latch? or the switch in the striker? Or the controller if there is one? Can't wait to get my vagcom running and see what is happening but at least I can use it.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Daddy C. is a jewel in the roughDaddy C. is a jewel in the roughDaddy C. is a jewel in the rough
Hi Nick,
had the same issue begin aug (see thread) about latch engaging with open trunk/boot.
On advice of the Bentley-dealer : unhooking the negative lead on the car battery did it in my case. This seemed to reset the CPU that had the idea that trunk was in closed position ( see graphic on dashboard).
My vagcom showed no faults.
Sprayed the latch with WD40 and no more issues so far.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Daddy C.
Hi Nick,
had the same issue begin aug (see thread) about latch engaging with open trunk/boot.
On advice of the Bentley-dealer : unhooking the negative lead on the car battery did it in my case. This seemed to reset the CPU that had the idea that trunk was in closed position ( see graphic on dashboard).
My vagcom showed no faults.
Sprayed the latch with WD40 and no more issues so far.
Sounds good, which battery did you disconnect?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Solution

Just to finish this one off and to warn other owners, it seems the Continental suffers from the same problem as the Phaeton. The yellow/red wire on the right (as you look at it) of the boot was broken and causing the blown fuse and fault. I need to come up with a permanent connection tomorrow morning but shouldn't taken me long. We might need to find a way of replacing the loom in that section at some stage.

Attached Images