Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

What do you think of the Bentley GT3-R?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:58 AM
6Speed Editor
ZackK is on a distinguished road
What do you think of the Bentley GT3-R?

So I posted this on the 6speed home page this week, and I'm curious what the Bentley owners/fans think about it? The concept might be my favorite Bentley ever, but this is also a bit like trying to make a bear ride a tricycle, right? Do we need a 5,000 "Bentley for the track"? Will it be too firm, and ruin the cushiness, or is a more dynamic B what everyone wants?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BentleyContinentalGT3-R-16-1024x683.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	389131  
Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
5000 lbs is far too high a weight spec for a proper race-inspired road car imho. ~4000 lbs would get more on the mark. The car as she sits is impressive, yet the weight is still very high.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-19-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 AM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Can you imagine the brake maintenance on that 4800+lb beast if used for tracking (unless touring laps, but then I can do that in the GT-C). I guess if I had vast financial resources and a huge garage I might have one just because I could. Although one could probably get a Bentley GT3, track ready with roll cage, much lighter and probably cheaper if a Bentley track car was desired. I guess I am missing the point of the GT3R but perhaps that IS the point; buy it 'cause it is irrational but a cool car to have.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Who's are you going to beat on the track in that car? I like the look but really is that a real track car?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Who's are you going to beat on the track in that car?

Hopefully a track-prepped Miata. Am sure the GT3-R is a powerful car, yet with 5,000 lbs to drag along the tarmac and relatively high CG as compared to a full-on $50k open wheel track car... Would love to be proven wrong of course. Just boggles my mind that Bentley could not get her down to a still-svelte 4300 lbs.

I like the look but really is that a real track car?

Oh heck no, yet it seems they named it as such.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Hopefully a track-prepped Miata. Am sure the GT3-R is a powerful car, yet with 5,000 lbs to drag along the tarmac and relatively high CG as compared to a full-on $50k open wheel track car... Would love to be proven wrong of course. Just boggles my mind that Bentley could not get her down to a still-svelte 4300 lbs.

Oh heck no, yet it seems they named it as such.
It could be done but way to expensive. Titanium frame, carbon fiber and super light alloys could get her there but all the new part manufacture and tooling would push the project into fantasy dollar territory. IMHO

Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Speaking of weight, why is Bentley so heavy anyway? This car is as heavy as the Ford F150 Supercrew.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Suspension system, all the comfort items (AC, radio system including speakers/amp), extra battery, windows, not going full CF for the body panels/hood/trunk, the seats, etc.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:00 PM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lilo1980
Speaking of weight, why is Bentley so heavy anyway? This car is as heavy as the Ford F150 Supercrew.
Big heavy engine, heavy gearbox/driveline, thick heavy body panels, about 6 cow hides, alot of steel, alot of aluminum, alot of wood, very little plastic, alot of sound proofing material, alot of copper wiring/batteries, etc. etc. etc.. All this is needed to get that plush solid Bentley ride and feel.

Last edited by robinardoin; 06-25-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
My dealwer says around 350k

Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 AM
charlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nicecharlielong3 is just really nice
Red face The best part is... The seats?

From my own personal opinion, the best part of the car is the interior, particularly the seats. They are sculpted and designed so beautifully, and the carbon fiber which surrounds them stands out. I would love to sit in one of them.