Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2006 Bentley GT ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Lucky777 is on a distinguished road
2006 Bentley GT ?'s

To All,

Longtime lurker, and I have done a lot of reading over the years on this site. Thank you for all who post regularly with your extensive knowledge of these vehicles. I am looking at a 2006 Bentley GT with less than 40k miles. Is there anything specific on this model year I should be looking for? All of the service is up to date with records from the local dealer. On the carfax it shows that the car was exported from Germany 3/2006 and then registered in the states. Is this something I could be concerned with? I have owned several imports over the years, but this is my first Bentley. I believe from what I have read that 2006 seems to be a decent year, if anyone has input please let me know. Thanks! - Steve

Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
As best I can tell, these are 'international' cars (meaning they are all basically the same worldwide). Since it already has a US registered VIN you should be all set.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
As best I can tell, these are 'international' cars (meaning they are all basically the same worldwide). Since it already has a US registered VIN you should be all set.
Thanks! Do you know of any known issues with the 2006 models?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Had an 06 GT and she was fine... except for the third brake light going out when wet. Defective part they know about, so check your service records to see if it was swapped out. They also had some bad coil/spark wires back then, yet that should be solved with the major service already done by now.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
I highly recommend to have a pre purchase inspection done at your local dealer or favorite (qualified) independent. I say this because every car is different and just because the previous owner did the yearly service does not mean they performed any other repairs that may have been found at that time. All to often I see cars with 60k on them that are in better shape then vehicles with 10k that have been neglected because "it couldn't possibly need anything it only has 10K miles". But some common things I see.
1.)Front side marker lights
2.)3rd brake light
3.)Trunk struts
4.)Broken rear seat belt buckles
5.)Leaking air struts
6.)Front upper control arms
7.)Water pumps (if you pop the hood and removed the cover over the drive belt there will be white crust from the coolant being slung all over it)
8.) vacuum leaks.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now that's not the obvious window regulator or check engine light.

I hope this list doesn't deter you from buying it. To be honest the continental range does have its issues but overall is one of the most reliable cars iv ever worked on.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Swflbt23
I highly recommend to have a pre purchase inspection done at your local dealer or favorite (qualified) independent. I say this because every car is different and just because the previous owner did the yearly service does not mean they performed any other repairs that may have been found at that time. All to often I see cars with 60k on them that are in better shape then vehicles with 10k that have been neglected because "it couldn't possibly need anything it only has 10K miles". But some common things I see.
1.)Front side marker lights
2.)3rd brake light
3.)Trunk struts
4.)Broken rear seat belt buckles
5.)Leaking air struts
6.)Front upper control arms
7.)Water pumps (if you pop the hood and removed the cover over the drive belt there will be white crust from the coolant being slung all over it)
8.) vacuum leaks.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now that's not the obvious window regulator or check engine light.

I hope this list doesn't deter you from buying it. To be honest the continental range does have its issues but overall is one of the most reliable cars iv ever worked on.
Thank you so much for the information. All of the information will be very helpful in my search for "the right one." As most of the members on here, there's just something so different about the GT that I love. Sure, I could get a newer vehicle from a different brand, but nothing on the road right now does it for me.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:26 AM
ccwboy will become famous soon enough
if you lucky enough.no matter which year.my car year of 2004 daily drive.not much big problem.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 PM
JJV104 is on a distinguished road
I agree that each car has it's own set of issues. Swflbt23 is correct about getting the car inspected, but I never had any of the issues he listed in my 2005 GT.

FYI - Mine is for sale:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...83507834&Log=0

Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I would not shy away from car just because it has some miles. All my mechanical belongs hold up better with use than sitting. It is never a bad idea to get things checked out a party that has no dog($) in the fight.

Do you jet love the color and leather combo? These cars can be stunning.