Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Strange Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Douyon is on a distinguished road
Strange Electrical issues

Hi Guys,

I am having some strange electrical issues as well that are not, in my opinionuser wear related.

1) Command center boots randomly when driving.

2) Cruise light stays on steady. Cruise control does not work

3) Wind shield wipers activate randomly. (This usually happens when wind shieldwipers do there random thing)

4) If car sits for a few hours, battery appears to be dead. Emergency startgets things going.

5) When car is on the battery tender, the tender never goes to fullycharged, even after charging over night

6) At one point I lost the volume and navigation display in the centerdisplay on the dash. This was resolved after the battery died and an emergencyrestart was performed.

7) When I use turn signals, they blink erratically.

Has anyone had these issues? Or any recommendations on what I might lookfor?

I am dreading taking car to the dealer, as I can only imagine the laborcosts to diagnose and test for this issue.
I have a 08 CFS

Last edited by Douyon; 10-08-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: forgot to add make and model
Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
The very first thing I would check is the starter battery condition (it is the smaller one on the right when viewing the car from behind). Your problems sound very much like low voltage. If the starter battery is OK, check the "house battery". If both batteries are OK, check your alternator output voltage. However, you will generally get an error on the dash if the alternator is bad (I believe it is the "battery" symbol).

If you find the batteries in poor condition, do not scrimp on replacement batteries. Bentleys are notoriously power hungry (even when parked). The "house" battery is an AGM and the starter battery is lead-acid.

Last edited by PMS; 10-08-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
If they are original batteries they have lived a long time. I suspect that these cars are not daily drivers so sitting in the garage is the culprit. I make sure I drive my car every week if possible and put it on a tender when it has to sit because of snow and cold. I'd do what PMS said could save you a lot of coin and trouble.

I put on all season tires this last time so we are going more in this winter.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Douyon is on a distinguished road
Just replaced batteries last year.
Car charges and runs great once started. I assume if alternator was issue, car would ultimately die while driving.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Well I agree with your method of problem solving by starting at the cheap and simple. It is unfortunate when the issues are not resolved early and with minimum costs.

You could call a priest for and exorcism they just take donations.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 10-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Douyon
Just replaced batteries last year.
Car charges and runs great once started. I assume if alternator was issue, car would ultimately die while driving.
Check the ground cables on the batteries. Check for tightness at the posts and corrosion on either end of each negative cable. Something is wrong if your charger doesn't bring them up to full charge overnight.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:44 PM
billboard2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hate to revive a dead thread, but I'm having a lot of these same issues. Car is a 2015 Continental GT Speed, and the batteries died due to the battery tender not getting a good connection when it was plugged in for the winter.
Symptoms after the batteries had been recharged:
-Navigation and Radio systems are now on/off and don't work as they used to.
-Windows will come down the ~1" when opening the doors but will fail to return to closed position when door is shut.
-Audio Amplifier seems to run much hotter than it used to.

Being in Alaska there are no Bentley certified dealers/servicers around and they don't seem to be much help in terms of diagnosing the issue. If anyone has any additional suggestions or have perhaps solved their electrical issues I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:15 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I would recommend getting the battery checked at a local auto shop.
These cars are notorious for showing various faults when the charge is low.

Good luck with it.

Les.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Douyon
Hi Guys,

I am having some strange electrical issues as well that are not, in my opinionuser wear related.

1) Command center boots randomly when driving.

2) Cruise light stays on steady. Cruise control does not work

3) Wind shield wipers activate randomly. (This usually happens when wind shieldwipers do there random thing)

4) If car sits for a few hours, battery appears to be dead. Emergency startgets things going.

5) When car is on the battery tender, the tender never goes to fullycharged, even after charging over night

6) At one point I lost the volume and navigation display in the centerdisplay on the dash. This was resolved after the battery died and an emergencyrestart was performed.

7) When I use turn signals, they blink erratically.

Has anyone had these issues? Or any recommendations on what I might lookfor?

I am dreading taking car to the dealer, as I can only imagine the laborcosts to diagnose and test for this issue.
I have a 08 CFS
You might consider disconnecting both batteries and charging them to full capacity. After that time frame of charging the electrical system should have completely discharge static electricity. Old school method was touching the disconnected positive battery cable to the negative causing the static electricity to discharge. Then reconnect and perform the rebooting of memory systems. The procedures are rather lengthy to get all systems back up. There are several recent great solutions by owners documenting battery disconnecting and rebooting in past 6speed treads.

Hope this helps
Ron

Old 07-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Buy completely new batteries.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Thank you all for the responses.
I'll go look over some of the rebooting system thread and make sure that there's not something I'm missing.
Dr. D, have you had a similar experience where replacing the batteries seemed to fix the issue?
Hopefully the new batteries plan will be a last resort though.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by billboard2001
I'll go look over some of the rebooting system thread and make sure that there's not something I'm missing.
Dr. D, have you had a similar experience where replacing the batteries seemed to fix the issue?
My car went dead as a doornail after going to the pharmacy. I came back out and it was dead. I tried jumping it off with no success, not even a faint click click. I feared the worse and had it put on a rollback and taken to the shop. Two new batteries and reinitialize the systems and I was good to go. Cheap fix i thought. I hate a weak or suspect battery. When will it go down again????

Good luck with restoring the old batteries. really I wish you well but if they die again this post will be the first thing in your mind.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 07-20-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:28 PM
PMS
Are you certain you have initialized the windows, trunk, seats, etc.? With the exception of the amplifier running hot, most of your symptoms are often caused by initializing the various functions. There is a wealth of info on this forum regarding the various processes.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Hah so it shall be Dr. D. A few hundred bucks may be worth the peace of mind of avoiding any of these issues in the future...

No, PMS, I'm not sure that I've performed the correct steps. I'm currently looking over rebooting systems and will check the forum for these initialization process steps for each system. This is sounding more like what my problem may be, barring the batteries themselves now being able to hold a good charge.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Hah so it shall be Dr. D. A few hundred bucks may be worth the peace of mind of avoiding any of these issues in the future...

No, PMS, I'm not sure that I've performed the correct steps. I'm currently looking over rebooting systems and will check the forum for these initialization process steps for each system. This is sounding more like what my problem may be, barring the batteries themselves now being able to hold a good charge.
Don't you just love to gamble? It's not like you live way up in Alalska and far from everything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strange Electrical issues