Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley continental GT Bonnet / Hood Light wont stay off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 PM
gwint2007 is on a distinguished road
Bentley continental GT Bonnet / Hood Light wont stay off??

Hi,

This is my first post but I come on here to read other owners stories about their vehicles. I hope someone out there can help me

My 2005 bentley Gt bonnet light will not stay off. Even if I do open and close the hood the light will come back on after 5 minutes? Something I noticed was that I have to open my drivers door just to use the hood release latch . Has any one else had this experience ? Could it be a switch or sensor? I just got the car out the Highpoint Bentley shop this week. I spent close to 7 grand - Vacuum Pump replace and hoses, oil change , sparkplugs and exhaust flap solenoid changed. It sucks that after spending that amount this light keeps coming on.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Nrick70 is on a distinguished road
Hey, I feel your pain.

I had a problem with the bonnet not catching, the latches would not spring back due to lots of debris. I have cleaned them out and they are fine now. I couldn't understand why the warning didn't come on, a quick look revealed someone had disconnected both sides (there is a switch with a small black plug on both sides) You can just disconnect them, only warning is you need to make sure the bonnet is down and latched.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
If the hood is indeed locking/catching closed, it's the switch. Had the same problem in the 06 GT. It's a known issue and of course they can easily install a new one that's made to better specs. Normal stuff.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply with the info. Can you tell me what switch are you referring to? Do you have a part number or a specific name to the part requiring replacement? I am taking the car back to the dealer to fix and will bring it up . Let me know when you have a chance. I do not want to spend too much ...

Old 03-13-2015, 02:31 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Alas, they never gave me the service sheet so don't have the part number, yet I can tell you I was done on June 14, 2010 @ 29,900 miles. Wish I knew more. It is really a standard thing and takes at most 30 minutes or so.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks , Can you tell me if you got the Bentley factory dealer to order the part? I think you may be suggesting this part http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/ben...w0823509b.html i saw it on flying spares website. I ordered mine direct from dealer as its about a 50 dollar difference.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Bentley Boston had the part, though did call them ahead of time and they immediately knew what the problem was. Great dealer / service center BTW. I think you only need the switch, not the entire assembly. Of course you could just jumper the switch's wires, though of course that defeats the warning just in case... Of course getting the new full assembly could be a good idea to update your older car to the newer standards. Shop around, some USA dealers give % off parts when you call. Perhaps have your local mechanic call so he might get a service center parts discount rate.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the info, never thought about calling around but it makes sense. I orderered the hood assembly with switches but am looking to find out about if the switch can be ordered as a spare part. Hopefully so as its looking to set me back 700.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:30 AM
zawoor is on a distinguished road
Hey, I had the same problem as you couple a weeks ago. I found switch/latch (i'm uk based) assemby:
http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/ben...w0823509b.html

Aparently they don't make electrical switches anymore and they only sell whole latch assembly which is expensive. However I sprayed few times over course of a 3 days latch electrical switch with WD40 and problem dissapeared.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Typical. I've got a 560 mile trip on Tuesday and I now have the same 'bonnet/hood open warning' problem.
I've tried the WD40 trick but had no luck, so, I have disconnected the block connectors from each latch.
The lamp is now out but I am certainly not willing to pay £380 for a new assembly. I will try again after my trip and if I can't fix it I might look for a couple of after market micro-switches. That's what they must be I reckon.
Besides, the car is going in to my Indy in Crewe next week for a trans oil change and for the paddle shift to be fixed, it's gone intermittent, as has the touch button door lock on the drivers side.
Oh, and one of the drive shaft gaiters has split.
Never a dull day!

Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 AM
So far the 07 GTC has cost about $1/mile in service fees over a 2 year period (then we need to add in the ~$10k depreciation so make it $2/mile). So $20k in two years. As I recall, the average American earns $45k a year, while nearly 30% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck... and 1 out of 5 American families are on welfare. Strange world we live in.

Am just saying...

Old 05-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Dang what a depressing thread. Remember if it has wheels or **** it'll give you trouble. That means cost money.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Dr. D , what about if it floats, flies or f....? Should I rent it?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Dr. D , what about if it floats, flies or f....? Should I rent it?
if it floats or fly....don't even touch it, believe me!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ULSTRUP
if it floats or fly....don't even touch it, believe me!
x2 Double the trouble. It ain't even got the **** so there is no asset.

Better keep that $ coming in boys everything we like costs big.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley continental GT Bonnet / Hood Light wont stay off??