Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Front differential axle oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:13 AM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Front differential axle oil?

Was wondering if there is a way to check the front differential oil level in a 2005 continental gt? Also does anyone know if the trasmission has a filter that i can change? Thanks

Old 07-12-2015, 10:56 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turbo_secret
Was wondering if there is a way to check the front differential oil level in a 2005 continental gt? Also does anyone know if the trasmission has a filter that i can change? Thanks
I just changed the transmission fluid in my 05 CGT. There is a filter. However, you must remove the transmission pan to get at it (neither impossible nor trivial). Filter is not expensive (by Bentley standards). Transmission fluid is VERY expensive. Total cost at my indie service was $900.00 (Cdn).

Last edited by PMS; 07-12-2015 at 11:04 AM. Reason: correcting model year
Old 07-12-2015, 11:03 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Here is an attachment outlining the front differential top-up/refill fluid procedures.

Attached Files
Old 07-12-2015, 11:19 AM
PMS
Here are some pics showing the filter, the fluid and the transmission without the pan.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_113054_resized.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	666.8 KB
ID:	423696   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_112639_resized.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	423697   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150508_130255_resized.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	423698  
Old 07-13-2015, 12:14 AM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PMS
Here are some pics showing the filter, the fluid and the transmission without the pan.
Thanks for all the info! My bentley is at 70k miles so i changed the spark plugs and now want to do tranmission oil and atleast check the front differential oil. My main problem is correctly checking the differential oil. Planning doing this as soon as i get the filter and oil!

Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by PMS
Hey you wouldnt happen to know what kind of differential axle oil i should put in there? Thanks

Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM
PMS
Hey you wouldnt happen to know what kind of differential axle oil i should put in there? Thanks
IETIS says Burmah SAF-AG4 Bentley Part # G05214582. It comes in 1 litre containers.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by PMS
IETIS says Burmah SAF-AG4 Bentley Part # G05214582. It comes in 1 litre containers.
Thank you!

Old 02-12-2023, 06:01 PM
analogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of light
HI,

posting here to add to this thread, maybe I should have started a new one...

I have a super clean 22K mile '05 CGT and am doing all the service myself if possible, replacing all fluids now.
I have the shop manual but don't quite understand changing the front axle oil. It's quite confusing to me, if any
of you have done it maybe you can help explain it.

1) to drain the old fluid, do I pull those two pipes out and the oil flows out?
2) It says to pump oil into pipe1 until it flows out of pipe2 with no bubbles, is that how the old fluid is purged? Seems I will lose quite a bit
of the new (expensive) oil this way.
3) oil capacity - after the above is done, any idea of how much more oil it will take to top up?

The rear diff was a lot easier! (though tough to get the oil into the filler hole, I finally removed the RR wheel and went in from that angle with a squirt bottle and hose).

Thanks!!!