Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT Main Battery Dilemma

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....I am new to this site...I am trying to remove the Main Battery...I am stuck...the car is 2010 Speed...I am half way into removal but cannot free up the large plastic electrical panel off the battery...I am trying to be very careful but I am stuck...any help greatly appreciated...

Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jim2331
....I am new to this site...I am trying to remove the Main Battery...I am stuck...the car is 2010 Speed...I am half way into removal but cannot free up the large plastic electrical panel off the battery...I am trying to be very careful but I am stuck...any help greatly appreciated...
Hello Jim,
Did you loosen the positive terminal nut first, as the positive terminal comes off with that whole group of cables.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160808_092319_882c3c19aa0b736058edb1aae85bdffa00fa238f.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	655.1 KB
ID:	468080  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Jim,
I saw your post in the other battery thread, although this is a picture of the starter battery on the right hand side, it is the same type of hold down for the main battery on the driver side.

Call me tonight if you would like to, sometimes speaking is better than typing....

Johnny J J
908-507-6357

Name:	20170118_210210.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	468081  

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-18-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 AM
....thank you very much for your reply. Its mid nite here in S.F., I will go down to the garage and see if I can get it done. I have gone very slow since I don't want to mess up. I see your picture...mine is little different...having problem seeing the positive post as it is under the plastic electric panel...I did lossen up the nut right by the post but it seems to be a captured bolt that dosen't come out?? Thanks again...also it is very tight space, just like the starter battery, I had to adapt my battery post puller tool, but that neg post came off easy....JimB

Old 01-19-2017, 02:18 AM
...its 1 am now just came up from garage....I did loose up the 13mm nut by the positive post, it seems to be a captured bolt, i.e. from what I see the bolt does not come out entirely, is that as you understand it? What has me flummoxed is the post and 13mm nut is in a 1-1/2 inch square space, there is no room to get a tool on the post clamp...how do you suggest I proceed??...I have been stuck here for a full day...very frustrating...JimB

Old 01-19-2017, 11:09 AM
...Amen...after many hours (because I was being very cautious) I gave the plastic electric junction box attached to the positive post a little nudge and twist...it came loose and I was able to take it off the main battery. Next challenge...find the secret to unplugging the 2 red wire (plug) connected to the top right location of the plastic junction box...then on to finding the battery hold down clamp or clamps that are not seen... I am sure that a mechanic who has done this before, could get to this point in the procedure in 15 minutes...Johnny...who was nice enough to respond...where do I find the tie down clamps...thanks all...hope my experience in describing my difficulty helps...JimB

Old 01-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Administrator
...Amen...after many hours (because I was being very cautious) I gave the plastic electric junction box attached to the positive post a little nudge and twist...it came loose and I was able to take it off the main battery. Next challenge...find the secret to unplugging the 2 red wire (plug) connected to the top right location of the plastic junction box...then on to finding the battery hold down clamp or clamps that are not seen... I am sure that a mechanic who has done this before, could get to this point in the procedure in 15 minutes...Johnny...who was nice enough to respond...where do I find the tie down clamps...thanks all...hope my experience in describing my difficulty helps...JimB
Hello Jim,
The battery hold down is as shown in my previous picture, I have taken that picture and circled the hold down bolt in red, and the hold down rod in yellow, being that you are working on the main left hand battery, the hold down rod will be toward the front of the vehicle, so on the backseat side of the battery, not the taillight side, as far as the unplugging of the red wire, you push in the plug, while pushing in, you push down the tab on the top of said plug and pull out toward yourself.

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	47
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	468114  
Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Pics of plug tab/clip.

Name:	20170119_133330.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	468117   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_133340.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	468118   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_133222.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	468119  
Old 01-19-2017, 12:28 PM
....Johnny...you are a life saver...many thanks from this 85 year old, crazy enough to still tackle a challenge...I will be down in garage in little bit to try and disconnect the plug and more importantly the tie down clamp...(getting a cherry picker to lift it out will be a story in itself) ... thanks again....JimB

Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 PM
...at risk of being thought of as total incompetent, I have worked on my cars all my life...this is without doubt the toughest battery change I have ever experienced but I am glad to do it just to see if I can....in order to pull the battery it is necessary to get the black electric junction panel out of the way...to get it out of way you have to disconnect the "quick" release plug....Johnny has been so helpful with the exact picture...except mine does not seem to have any give at all...after working on it for 30 minutes, thought I would give it a rest before I cut the damn 2 wires....JimB

Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Administrator
to get it out of way you have to disconnect the "quick" release plug....Johnny has been so helpful with the exact picture...except mine does not seem to have any give at all...after working on it for 30 minutes, thought I would give it a rest before I cut the damn 2 wires....JimB
Hello Jim,
Be sure to push it in good before pressing down on the black tab and pull out, I myself forget to push it first sometimes, if you don't it will never let the clip off of its lock so to speak.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Old 01-19-2017, 04:25 PM
....Hello Johnny...thanks to you and your excellent instruction I got it...the plug is unclipped and I have the L shaped electric junction panel here on my table. It truly looks like a great and substantial piece of engineering, just as you expect from Crew Bentley...later I'll give it a go to get at the battery hold down clip and let you know how it goes...do you have any suggestions on where to get a replacement battery...I looked on line and the Varta 95Ah 850En made in Germany is out of stock, not available...thanks again...JimB

Old 01-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Administrator
....Hello Johnny...thanks to you and your excellent instruction I got it...the plug is unclipped and I have the L shaped electric junction panel here on my table. It truly looks like a great and substantial piece of engineering, just as you expect from Crew Bentley...later I'll give it a go to get at the battery hold down clip and let you know how it goes...do you have any suggestions on where to get a replacement battery...I looked on line and the Varta 95Ah 850En made in Germany is out of stock, not available...thanks again...JimB
Be sure to get the "AGM", these are very good batteries.

Jim give me a call 908-507-6357, I am available now, Johnny.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...000%7CL3*15597

Old 01-20-2017, 04:15 AM
....Inaugaration Day...3am our time...Jan 20 2017...Hello Johnny...My car is 2010 Speed...
Trying to r/r the Main battery (left side) has been a good learning experience. All wires and cables are tied off and the space is clear, the battery is loose...I have determined it is not possible to remove the battery without removing the large fuse/relay panel mounted above the battery. I am not prepared to do that. There is just not enough clearance to lift the battery up out of the well. Perhaps earlier models of the Cont. series are different. I would like to hear from some folks out there who have done this job....I hate to give up on a project, but you can't win em all...JimB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Bentley GT Main Battery Dilemma