Bentley GT Main Battery Dilemma - Page 8 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > British > Bentley
Reload this Page >

Bentley GT Main Battery Dilemma

Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT Main Battery Dilemma

Old 12-22-2018, 03:57 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT View Post
Emergency manual access lever is behind right rear seat.

Do you have instructions for removing the rear seats?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:46 AM
1eapplebaum is an unknown quantity at this point
Not a difficult project. Search online: "Remove rear seat Bentley Continental". There is a YouTube video by Luke at Alpine Performance.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:05 AM
John Fiammetta is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ContinentalGT05 View Post
hello again all. Good to be back. Recall Iím the guy lives nyc and my public garage does not allow use of chargers. Well. I found one spot in the garage where their maintenance team had rigged an extension cable from a roof connector, Iím able to charge it overnight about every two weeks and all was wel... till.. it stopped working. I think one of the garage maintenance guys messed with the rigged extension and now, when I test the connection with a standard 115v reading light the light flashes. So I guess there is power still there but a wrongly connected wire.
Im capable but reluctant to fiddle with the live electrics.
While I can flip the ignition key and start the car using the right hand battery my primary concern is I believe using the alternator to constantly be recharging a low charge battery will eventually burn out the alternator which is an engine out job... hence the concern.
My options are
1) fiddle with building live outlet electrics- rather not
2) drive car say every 2 weeks for enough miles (how many ?) to recharge from 2 weeks with car sat idle.

3) idle engine without driving . How many hours ? What revs ?
4) disconnect one or both batteries while Car not in use this might be an option ( one issue might be if I disconnect batteries then itís hard to access trunk so maybe need to build cable extensions from battery to ski opening on back seat so I can connect / disconnect batteries from back seat without accessing trunk . Also , if I disconnect main but keep starter battery live can I still flip ignition key to share batteries and start ?

Maybe im being too paranoid , maybe the alternator can handle say 2 or 3 weeks of Car sat idle then use alternator to charge ? But maybe it canít and Iíll end up with engine out. ( current mileage 27k)

Iíd welcome any guidance on the above

You could try one of theses and park the car in the best lit place .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5W-12V-...YAAOSw-olaISo1

I often have to leave my car in a marina car park for a few weeks at a time . Ok daylight bright sun but itís better than nothing ,seems to have worked .

Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 AM
gregwarner is an unknown quantity at this point
Good morning...
ive been all around the site but have not seen an answer for my particular situation. I have a 2010 GTC Speed. I am taking it to Florida where it will sit in the secure underground garage at my condo for 4 to 5 weeks between visits. There is no way to hook up the battery tender, so what is the best option? I’m now kind of regretting my decision buying this car. Can I turn off any of the devices that drain the battery? Alarm? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:30 PM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gregwarner View Post
Good morning...
ive been all around the site but have not seen an answer for my particular situation. I have a 2010 GTC Speed. I am taking it to Florida where it will sit in the secure underground garage at my condo for 4 to 5 weeks between visits. There is no way to hook up the battery tender, so what is the best option? Iím now kind of regretting my decision buying this car. Can I turn off any of the devices that drain the battery? Alarm? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
I saw a car that had a switch, like this pic, that shuts the power off to the entire car. I was thinking about something like this as well.