Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT Main Battery Dilemma

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 AM
Robert Bullard is an unknown quantity at this point
Left Side Battery Assembly

I have just removed the left side positive terminal battery assembly, and a 150 Amp Little Fuse fell out. I assume that it runs between the two bolt terminals underneath the top of the assembly. Is this correct?

Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 AM
Robert Bullard is an unknown quantity at this point
Left Side Battery

Also, when the battery was removed, I discovered a black cable which terminated with a purple connector with many prong receptacles. Does anyone know its purpose?

Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
What are the size and AMP HR specs for the starter battery? Original battery is wet but is AGM a viable replacement?

Old 12-07-2019, 06:20 PM
murci930 is on a distinguished road
A little revival of this thread. Changed the battery on my 10 GTC Series 51 today (only specifying sub model in the case it makes a difference) a few pointers to save your sanity as I almost lost mine:
To modify the OP's instructions to replace the left main battery for a GTC; Sorry I did not take pictures
1. You MUST MUST MUST move the fuse box above the battery in order to remove the plastic piece (with the four main wires attached) over the positive channel. the OP's guide says you don't have to but on the GTC, the fuse box is much closer to the plastic piece. Without removing the fuse box, you cannot loosen the farthest screw (again as mentioned in OPs guide) and the plastic piece will not be able to lift over the positive channel.
2. To remove the fuse box there is a star key on the very top of the opening to access the battery. There was a fat wad of wires in front of it that must be taken out of the plastic zip tie like holder (best description sorry). There are smaller star keys in the actual fise box, but unscrewing those does not help, ONLY the one main star at the top will allow the fuse box to be taken out and pulled to the side.
3. I also got away with not removing the black piece on the side, (thank god because it seemed brittle).
4. Once you move the fuse box it is smooth sailing as you can actually see what yo are doing. For the GT owners who were able to lift the battery out, with the fuse box in there, that takes skill and I salute you.

As mentioned above numerous times, getting the battery out is SUCH A PAIN IN THE A$$. It is incredible how easy it is to remove the battery on my 2010 panamera turbo compared to this (being that it is the same year and same parent company).
Hope this helps

Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Robert Bullard

Also, when the battery was removed, I discovered a black cable which terminated with a purple connector with many prong receptacles. Does anyone know its purpose?
Looks like a OBD code reader socket .To plug a diagnostic instrument into .

Old 12-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Mike Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Replaced both, now nothing works!

Having some of these issues after having both batteries changed because rear window wouldn’t raise fully. Now car won’t start with normal cw turn. Will crank with ccw turn can be driven 30 minutes and car seems to have lost all power. Unlock manually and car will only start with ccw turn. Windows still won’t stay programmed after each start either. HELP!!!!
GT 2004

Old 12-09-2019, 04:01 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like the big LHS batt is not passing on it’s charge .
So check it all out ...connections and fuses .For the fuses don’t rely on the Mk1 eyeball use a multimeter.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Mike,
Who replaced the batteries, as what you are describing make no sense as to a normal battery change, are you sure all connections are correct, did any of the mega fuses blow ?
Please post wide shot and close up shots of each battery area for us to check out.

Johnny
Originally Posted by Mike Brown
Having some of these issues after having both batteries changed because rear window wouldn’t raise fully. Now car won’t start with normal cw turn. Will crank with ccw turn can be driven 30 minutes and car seems to have lost all power. Unlock manually and car will only start with ccw turn. Windows still won’t stay programmed after each start either. HELP!!!!
GT 2004

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-10-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:12 AM
Alan Stockdale is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery Removal

Hi
I just wondered how much of a fight was it to remove the battery because my one will not come out because the fuse box is so close to the top of the battery. I have tilted it at all angles but the fuse box is in the way every time.

Thank for ant help

Old 05-22-2020, 06:12 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan Stockdale
Hi
I just wondered how much of a fight was it to remove the battery because my one will not come out because the fuse box is so close to the top of the battery. I have tilted it at all angles but the fuse box is in the way every time.

Thank for ant help
​​​​​​Hello @Alan Stockdale ,
I gave instructions at post number 39, and again starting at post number 78 for the removal of the fuse box, 3 T-20 screws need to be removed to swing the fusebox out of the way.

Johnny

Old 07-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Administrator
@Alan Stockdale ,
How did you make out with the battery change out ?

Old 07-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Never heard back from @Mike Brown ,
Any updates @Mike Brown?