Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Auto Headlights? where is sensor? 09 Flying Spur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 05:17 AM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
Auto Headlights? where is sensor? 09 Flying Spur

Hi all:

I just got a 2009 Flying Spur and have questions about the headlights.

Maybe i'm the rarity, but i like to have my headlights turned ON all the time. So, i switch the headlights from the "auto" position to "ON." The problem is that i keep forgetting to turn the switch OFF when i turn the car OFF, and i end up draining my battery because for some reason the car doesn't turn them off in 30 seconds like it will if the switch is left in the "auto" position.

My IDEA: Find the light sensor that controls when the "auto" headlights come on and off, and somehow cover it to trick the car into thinking that it's dark all the time. That way, i can leave the switch in the "auto" position all the time, and the headlights will always turn on when the car is ON and it should turn them off after 30 seconds when i turn the car OFF.

Will this work? And where is the light sensor that tells the car if it's dark out? I THOUGHT it was that obvious looking bump on the top of the dash dead center under the windshield, but if i cover it during the day with the car in "auto" mode, the headlights do not turn on. Can you help me locate the real sensor?

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:05 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
What a good idea. I'm the same with the lights, can't trust the French drivers when I'm there.
I will have a look on IETIS to see if I can locate it.

Les.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by ExSF
What a good idea. I'm the same with the lights, can't trust the French drivers when I'm there.
I will have a look on IETIS to see if I can locate it.

Les.
That would be great, thank you! If i can find it, i'll try it and let you know if it works.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi again.

Well, I've had a look on IETIS.
The sensor located at the top centre of the windscreen has a dual purpose. It is the sensor for the automatic rain activated wipers and also the light activated headlamps/exterior lamps.

The actual sensor is the upper one fixed directly to the windscreen surrounded by the black border when viewed from outside of the car and not the lower one that you can block off from inside the car.
I just tried mine for you and it did activate the lights when I placed my hand over it.

So, the only way to do what you want re blanking it would be to remove the fitting from the screen. Personally, it's not something that I would attempt as the black screen bonding could end up looking a mess when viewed from outside.
I suppose you could always stick a bit of black tape over it!

Hope that helps.

Regards. Les.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Darn! I was hoping it wasn't up there.

So what's that thing on the dash center where the windshield meets the dash?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Instead of pulling that sensor off of the windshield glass, what if i just unplugged the light sensor? Would it default to the car thinking it's always dark out? Or would it default to the car thinking it's always light out? It might be easier to access the wiring for the sensor than the business end of the sensor.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
In Canada, we are required by law to have our headlights on at all times. This "daylight runnning lights" mode can be configured quite easily with a factory level computer. e.g. VAS5054A system. I know because I imported my B from the US and had to have it re-configured to activate this feature.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:20 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
In Denmark, driving with the light on is compulsory, when I bought my car it was a french version so, no ''running light''. during my first trip to Denmark I stopped by Bentley copenhagen, they reprogrammed the system, it took them 10'.
I don't think you should have a problem having it done in the US or in England.