Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Brake dust... '09 Flying Spur

Old 04-27-2016, 08:02 PM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
Brake dust... '09 Flying Spur

Hi all:

I have a pre-owned '09 Flying Spur and am noticing a TON of brake dust on the front wheels. From past experience with other vehicles, i know that the level of visible brake dust can vary based on the type of brakes (from what i recall, ceramic brake pads yielded a reduction in brake dust).

Should "original OEM" brake pads yield a tremendous level of brake dust? I bought mine with 58,000mi so I'm sure the original pads had been replaced once... Do you think the previous owner could have put another type of pad on?

What pads can i get for my '09 Flying Spur to reduce the brake dust? Thanks!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Joe Boccia is on a distinguished road
The "S" is sport mode. And boy does it make the car mich More exciting. Mine never leaves sport mode when i drive alone. Its still fully automatic though.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Joe Boccia is on a distinguished road
Also the "s" mode is just throttle response and steering. Dont Forget to also engage your stiffer suspension for a very nice driving mode.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
The stock Bentley brake pads dust up like crazy. Just replaced the GTC's about 800 miles ago and yes they dust up a lot.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:38 AM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
Ah gotcha.

Anyone know of a specific aftermarket brake pad that i should replace these with?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:38 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Porterfield R4S

Originally Posted by cduluk1
Ah gotcha.

Anyone know of a specific aftermarket brake pad that i should replace these with?
Excessive dusting has been a common complaint with the stock Pagid pads that are OEM on many Aston Martin vehicles. You can check out the threads on the AM forum on 6speed...

I checked the Porterfield site (porterfield-brakes dot com) and they are showing a R4S pad set for the '09 Continental; I don't know if the Flying Spur uses the same pad configuration, but you might give them a call to confirm. It's a carbon fiber/Kevlar composite.

These pads reduce the dusting significantly; I've been using the R4S pads for over five years now, and have found them to be quite an improvement as far as the dusting problem-I also track my '07 Vantage on occasion and have found them satisfactory-be advised I drive about 7/10's on the track.

I have no affiliation with the product-it's just a good product for my application!

Have any Bentley owners tried them out?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
R4S Information.pdf (34.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 PM
REDNOSEGT will become famous soon enough
As far as I know nobody makes a low-dust pad for the front of a gt. Mine is 04. I even ordered the Uk spec pads but they were a different size a 1/4" too small

I had a brake mfg company stamp me new low-dust pads from my old backing plates,
I havent used them yet but it took a couple months, they are still in the box if anybody wants to buy them.