Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Ovheating warning

Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 PM
jsupstarz is an unknown quantity at this point
Ovheating warning

Was driving my car while warm and gave it a good amount of gas maybe the 4000 RPM and all of a sudden a warning came on that said engine overheating and went into sort of a limp mode. I pulled into the parking lot shut the car off I didn't smell anything burning but I did hear the faint sound of some type a liquid moving throughout the engine compartment there were no leaks or anything nothing was dripping and it didn't snow Hot. I let it sit for five minutes turn the car back on and drove it home fine with no warning lights. The actual temperature gage read completely normal the whole time this was going on and after the fact so it was almost like it wasn't overheating but something tripped the warning message on the dash. Does this sound like a sensor issue ? Please help

Old 02-04-2017, 02:26 AM
ssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura aboutssonss1 has a spectacular aura about
One of my Flying Spurs does this intermittently, I believe I read on here it is a faulty EGT sensor that causes this to happen. I have yet to change mine, it comes on once every few months

Old 02-04-2017, 03:23 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
It might be worth checking the coolant level in the header tank. I noticed mine was a bit low last summer.

Les.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
If the temperature gauge shows good and you get the overheating warning light, then stop and start the engine. Then everything seems normal.

It could be a symptom of a bad EGT sensor on passenger side of the engine (US). This is not an uncommon problem.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Here a picture of it. To remove the nut on the bottom, a special tool is needed. however, it can be done with standard tools. You just have to grind a slot is a wrench

Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 AM

Here is what the tool should look like to remove the sensor

Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Thank you that helps a ton guys !!

Old 02-09-2017, 03:17 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....sorry to ask dumb question....is the EGT Sensor the brass looking nut below the orange tape...maybe it is angle of picture, but slot cut in tool doesn't look big enough to get around stem...I just want to be sure I am I.D. the correct nut...JimB

Old 02-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jim2331
....sorry to ask dumb question....is the EGT Sensor the brass looking nut below the orange tape...maybe it is angle of picture, but slot cut in tool doesn't look big enough to get around stem...I just want to be sure I am I.D. the correct nut...JimB

Hello Jim,
Yes that is the exhaust gas temperature sensor probe nut in red circle, you would slip the slot cut in the wrench over the wire section of the sensor in the green area.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_jts9272_555872b97bbbbe848bf1f789e3e8e27352e435b0.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	690.6 KB
ID:	469424  
Old 02-10-2017, 09:37 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....Thank you Johnny...Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor duly noted...and to Jsupstarz did you have sensor replaced and did that shut off warning signal...JimB

Old 02-23-2017, 05:20 PM
No

I didn't yet , I drove the car like two weeks well into full temp and didn't get any warnings and gauge was normal and tonight it happened two times again , I took a picture, went into like a limp mode both times , the first time the warning lasted for 2 minutes I continued to drive the whole time and just shut off and it was fine the second time it lasted longer and I just shut the car off and parked it. I hope this is the issue. Take a look the temp gushed reads normal this was 3 minutes after the warning came on, opened the hood didn't smell hot AT ALL! No smoke or anything like it was normal

Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
is there only 1 egt sensor, or is there 2 ?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MikeH
is there only 1 egt sensor, or is there 2 ?
There are two, one on each exhaust manifold.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Yup, there are 2 sensors. However sensor 1 is what usually causing the overheat message.

~ZaOs`

Old 07-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Perkunas is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi everyone, joined the forum to ask the exact same thing. Did this resolve the issue?

My mechanic is saying it's the temperature sensor but he never hooked up a "VAG" as you call it? I have a 2006 flying spur, says it's overheating, goes limp mode for a bit and then goes out of limp mode after a minute. The gauges show temperatures are fine.

I hooked up my generic OBDII scanner and the only thing that showed up was P0456 which I think is the gas cap.

Part number would be useful, and whether or not I can grab it from volkswagen.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.