Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Additional key impossible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 05:02 PM
LenSellers is an unknown quantity at this point
Additional key impossible?

I just bought a 1999 Bentley Arnage that came with one key. Because it has a microchip ordinary key companies cannot replicate it. Went to the local dealer and was told Bentley Motors itself cannot replace it because it no longer has the machinery for that year. Can this be true?

Old 04-04-2018, 07:32 AM
4KB
4KB is on a distinguished road
We don’t believe you. Can we see pictures of the car first before you get an answer? Just kidding of course. Sorry don’t have response but would like to see the new ride.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:42 AM

Old 04-04-2018, 11:55 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Call Bentley USA corporate office and see what they have to say, then let us know. While not impossible considering it's a Bentley, I'm highly surprised if they can't get you another key and program it to your car.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:04 PM
4KB
4KB is on a distinguished road
Congrats. Nice car and you are a good sport. Thanks

Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
When I bought my '09 in '14 the dealer only had one key but agreed that I was entitled to another. Bentley said they had no more of that version so they were going to replace the whole locking system with a newer version. They got lucky though and found the other key at their other location. For a car manufacturer not to support ALL parts for at least 10 years is really an insult to their customers.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Steven, called Bentley USA. Was told by the person answering he had never heard of such a problem, but will investigate and get back to me via email. He warned me that whatever solution may be found, I will have to go through my local dealer (San Francisco). I am waiting with my fingers crossed.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 PM
benzjaag is an unknown quantity at this point
Late to this thread, but just went through a key replacement for my 99 Arnage at Bentley of High Point (NC). Bentley will NOT supply a chip key, but will replace the key withOUT the chip for $285.00! In my desperate research, I cannot find any source for a blank key blade. Bentley which said they would NOT supply just the blade but a cut key without the chip! I have 5 Rolls Royces and have NEVER received such negative support.

Richard

Old 08-04-2018, 12:44 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Richard,

Bentley seems to be notorious for being uncaring to their customers. Had two Bentley cars... they seem to only care about money and how to make more of it versus standing behind their products. Perhaps this is the VW Groups way of business the past 10 years. Very sad.

Make sure you tell everyone you know how bad Bentley is. Only way to combat this seem to be posting in many places to stop others from suffering the same fate.

Help others, join us in stopping this abuse.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
To be fair the car was built before VW owned them and it’s pretty old. Eventually every manufacturer stops making parts for old models. With that being said I replaced a key for a customer with a 99 Rolls-Royce just a few months ago ( companies were still joined at the hip then) I’ll ask the parts guys when I get back to work next week.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Ahh yes, you're right. Hope they can help you.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Bentley keys and Bentley third-rate service

The story to date on trying to get a second key for my 1999 Arnage: First, after three months I never heard back from Bentley USA, despite a promise to get back to me. Second, was informed by Rolls Royce San Francisco that it could order a blank key from Bentley England once I provided my VIN and Immobiliser number. Cost was $377. I did so, blank arrived weeks later and I had it cut locally. Without the transponder the key will open the doors and trunk. It WILL NOT start the car. Story from England is that Crewe no longer manufactures transponders and I'm SOL. I have since met two people also reduced to one key and totally paranoid about being one accident away from owning a parts car. Bottom line thus far, I lose the key and I'm selling pieces of the Arnage on eBay. The Immobiliser/transponder anti-theft design was a piece of engineering that was ill-conceived, short-sighted, and ultimately abandoned. Bentley (and RR?) hides from its responsibility and has completely orphaned a generation of its cars. I am regretting giving up a flawless Lexus for two tons of empty brand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.