Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > British > Bentley
Reload this Page >

Last attempt to fix rear aerofoil, help required

Notices
Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Last attempt to fix rear aerofoil, help required

Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM
1eapplebaum is on a distinguished road
Off the schematic diagram above. I would assume it is the switch that is between seats.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 PM
1eapplebaum is on a distinguished road
To be clear, the active airfoil switch is a bi-directional switch acting in a sense like a solenoid. Should it be fidgety it can stick in different modes causing the problems described. The motor is stupid, taking directions from the switch.

Look closely at the schematic above. One can see the two different modes of the switch, up or down of the airfoil.

Of course other issues can be at play. One ought to rule this one out or in before proceeding to buy parts.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:27 PM
John Fiammetta is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by blue_racing View Post

my motor runs but but doesnít stop goes for about 5 seconds so if connected to spoiler bends all the rods in boot as spoiler is up in about 1 .5 seconds after lifting cover off motor the electronic board in there also lifts out I wish they just sold the board as nothing wrong with rest of motor !

The most common fault is a broken wire in the LHS ( as you stand at the back looking Fwds ).Of the wires around the hinge .
I think you need the Bentley diagnostic computers to tell you which one .
I used the guys at Prestige Service Leeds to fix mine .From memory about £100 mostly labour .They re connected the open circuit .
symptoms were light came on and it did not move ,stayed down .It was intermittent depending on wether the open circuit closed by accident with boot opening .

Before giving up and taking to them ( due a service anyhow ) I did take a look, removed the motor , checked the worm drive and the rods and the plastic things that suppose to snap - all seemed ok .
I dismantled the motor on the kitchen table , when reassembled found the +ve and ground and applied 12 v both ways it turns .
Theres a whole load of pcb inside and itís Bentley stickered on the outside .
so I fugure the D.C. motor turns both ways for a predetermining time when the spoiler reaches its out limit ( no external sensors ) you will get a temp inc in resistance at it stops , the pcb will detect this and cut the power .Same when it retracts .

This movement time ( up or down ) and subsequent resistance end time to cut the power will be unique to BentleyI guess .
And the VW Beetle .Hence the differences in part no and external sticker .
ok the motor , the housing / mounting are identical ( except label ) but the pcb will be unique to the vehicle because of the different timings for the up / down as they are different spoilers weight / size / shape / range of movements-etc .

I did look like others at the VW part something like £50 as said it was just a broken wire and paid a Bentley tech to fix it .

What we need now is somebody to come along with a live example ( and MY of car ) to say the VW part is plug n play .

btw You can manually pull up and push down the spoiler when itís not working as thereís no power to the motorand the gears / motor just turn as you move it or push it down .No harm done .
Nice to clean the cr8 p out under it and poke strimner line down the two drains .Theses drains open out under the boot lip .