Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

seatbelt won't expand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 02:38 PM
shorttough is on a distinguished road
seatbelt won't expand

Hi all,
i have a 2010 Bentley Supersports, seems like it had a front right side accident 3 years ago. but my passenger side seat belt wont expand once the belt is clicked in, meaning they cant stretch the seat belt from the pillar, it stays locked. normally, if you suddenly pull the seat belt it locks, but in my case it always stays locked.

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...127/2109/37586

i'm thinking the tensioner should be replaced. does anyone have any thoughts on what can be the problem?

Old 03-12-2020, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shorttough
Hi all,
i have a 2010 Bentley Supersports, seems like it had a front right side accident 3 years ago. but my passenger side seat belt wont expand once the belt is clicked in, meaning they cant stretch the seat belt from the pillar, it stays locked. normally, if you suddenly pull the seat belt it locks, but in my case it always stays locked.

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...127/2109/37586

i'm thinking the tensioner should be replaced. does anyone have any thoughts on what can be the problem?
Hello @shorttough,
I understand you have a 2010, but please bear with me as I explain my thoughts with pictures for years 2003-11, from 2003 until some time in 2007 it appears the seat belt tensioners on the front seats had a cable driven apparatus that locked the tensioner, I have circled and outlined the cable on the rebuild of my 2005 seats pictures, I will check when I get home as to where and what the other end connects to for others with the 2003-07 setup, NOW, as to your 2010 seatbelt design I see no cable at all, but I see an electrical connection that has to do with the airbag and pre-tensioner system, the plug and electric cable are #27 in the diagram, if in-fact your vehicle had a right side impact, is it possible that a fault is still stored for said seatbelt tensioner, or that the airbag restraint system module located in the center console up under the infotainment head unit and buried under the HVAC ductwork was never repaired, or reset ?

So scan for any faults first, then I would unplug said cable to see if the tensioner stops behaving that way, what does it does right now if you latch it with no one in the seat, does it move freely then ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-12-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:48 PM
The location of the tensioner in my vehicle seems like in the pillar. There is also a long bar that goes across on the super sports. Not sure how to remove the pieces to access the tensioner.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
The location of the tensioner in my vehicle seems like in the pillar. There is also a long bar that goes across on the super sports. Not sure how to remove the pieces to access the tensioner.
Oh, I see, when I clicked on your link it shows the other setup, like a 4 seater SS..
I would still check for fault codes, do you have a scanner, what does it do with no one in the seat when latched, does it pull freely ?
As far as removing the rear pole, never did one, but here are some instructions.

Johnny

Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Love the color combo by the way...
See link for your viewing pleasure.

Johnny

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Old 03-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Following.

Exact same problem on my 2009 pax seat belt but no previous crash.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:32 PM
For those who have this issue, there is actually a button in the glove box, on the top. Red in color. If you press that it’ll expand your seat belt!

Old 08-22-2021, 11:40 PM
BrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond reputeBrakeBuster has a reputation beyond repute
i had this issue when i bought my car used, the passenger belt would lock ,
after some research i was advised to press the button in the glovebox, been perfect ever since,
the button locks the belt should a child seat or other device is used on the seat, it prevents the belt from rolling and thus fixing the device in place

BB

Old 08-23-2021, 12:14 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info and the PM sir!

For those who have this issue, there is actually a button in the glove box, on the top. Red in color. If you press that it’ll expand your seat belt!

Old 08-23-2021, 04:32 PM
Administrator
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I take it that it is a airbag off button for the front passenger seat, is that correct ?

The 2004-07's that I have seen, along with my GT do not have a button in the glove box, it has a key slot to turn the airbag off, but it does not seem to lock or unlock the seat belt in any way.

Johnny