Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

suspension failure - emergency procedure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 11:35 AM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
suspension failure - emergency procedure?

hi.
I am reading many threads where owners inform about suspension failure - front down, rear down etc, leaks etc.

I have a question - is there any procedure / diy emergency (not official etc) to at least deal with this problem to eg. finish the travel etc instead of calling tow-truck?

i did not want to mess with such question in the different "failed suspension " thread, want to focus on this question.

thank you for sharing in advance!

Old 03-22-2023, 12:55 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello @sazam ,
This may be a crude way of getting the bags inflated to make the trip home, that is if a bag is not the problem, but in an emergency, there is really no other way besides fixing the problems with the suspension that caused the failure.

I had many years back a Lincoln Mark VIII, It's suspension failed and the vehicle fell to the ground, but it wasn't the bags, or the compressor, and turned out not to be the sensors either, and as the vehicle wasn't worth putting any more money into it (as I later gave the car away) for a module or anything else, I cut the 4 lines and installed schrader valve fittings on each line, all four corners held air, and the vehicle was drivable.

In an emergency, this could be done at each corner of the Bentley, or right at the compressor valve block for ease of working in one spot, and then no need to remove each wheel, these lines are also accessible in the trunk.

Of course after the cutting of the lines, then a union will always be in place after the repairs.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-26-2023 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-25-2023, 04:00 PM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
hi @Johnny Hotspur GT - where the distribution unit - compressor valve block - is located? And where is the compressor itself located?

Old 03-25-2023, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sazam
hi @Johnny Hotspur GT - where the distribution unit - compressor valve block - is located? And where is the compressor itself located?
​​​​​​Hello @sazam ,
The valve block is mounted on the compressor assembly itself, and the assembly is mounted on the underside of the vehicle in the spare tire well.

I was thinking after I wrote about cutting the lines either in each wheel well, or in the boot, or even at the valve block for instance, if one is going to remove the rear belly pan to access the valve block lines, then one could get the fittings to place the schrader valves onto each line's brass fittings already in place on each line, therefore no cutting.

In an emergency stranded from home, that is what I would do.

A friend had a front strut bag blow out on a 2008 A8L a while back, He wasn't about to pay outrageous prices and wait days for the part, so he jacked the vehicle up to relieve the pressure on the strut and bladder, then took either black RTV, or that 50 year clear GE silicone and filled it into the bladder, then let the vehicle down to just about normal height but still having the jack support it, letting it down also allowed the silicone to ooze out to make a plug like piece, he then found a restaurant and a hotel to relax while the silicone cured, the next day, the system aired up and he drove home, he actually drove it for some time after, that way.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-25-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:02 AM
@Johnny Hotspur GT - thank you again!!!

"schrader valves onto each line's brass fittings already in place on each line, therefore no cutting"

that was my direction of thinking - to avoid cutting - it is just a pitty it is under the car - phaeton as i recall has it in the trunk so easy access.

the idea with silicone i great too - in a real emerg to not spent too much time and worry on vacation

btw - the valve unit - it has 6 lines - 4 to each wheel, 5th is src from compressor, 6th??? return line - shared by all 4 struts? and which color is which role?

Last edited by sazam; 03-26-2023 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:34 AM
Administrator
@sazam ,
Here you go.

The lines to each strut bladder are both the supply and return, it is the valve block that supplies and releases the air from each strut bladder individually.

The accumulator tank is the stored air supply, just like a home/shop compressor.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-26-2023 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:38 AM
TY Johnny

1. i heard / i read that there is a filter in the compressor - which is not available as a spare at the dealer shop but still can be replaced - aftermarket spare can be purchased.

I can imagine that if noone is changing it after thousands of km on odometer it would need a replacement to make compressor more efficient.

Maybe you have investigated this?

2. regarding accumulator - just to learn its role - it accumulates the air to offload the compressor ? stores the air which comes back from the struts? when lovering? and sources the air if going up to eliminate unnecessary start of compresssor?

3. where the acummulator is located?

Last edited by sazam; 03-28-2023 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Hello @sazam ,
1, No, I haven't looked at it, because at the time mine only had 10,380 miles, I will check it though, as I have a spare.

2, The accumulator stores the compressed air from the compressor, and then feeds the air to each strut by way of the valve block, not the compressor itself as you have figured out.
The air returning from the struts does not go into the accumulator, as said accumulator tank has a higher pressure in it, instead, the air from the struts is exhausted/vented by the exhaust solenoid mounted on the compressor assembly.

3, The accumulator tank is located in the driver's (LHD) rear quarter panel up under the wheel liner.

Johnny

PS.
Are my photos visible to you in my previous post, I show the accumulator tank in the wheel well.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:06 AM
Thank you Johhny.

1. i think i read about it somewhere (maybe vwvortex but just guessing) in the phaeton topics - but dont recall any info about its location or replacement procedure or part number (they said something it must be fitted from any preassure equipment parts shop)

2. i was mislead by this "short" black line connected to the valve block - thought it is direct "up" link from compressor to the valve block and then to struts - where the air reservoir/accumulator is just as a buffer or smth.

3. yes i saw this photo but i had no clue from where the shot is

Last edited by sazam; 04-01-2023 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 01:40 AM
TinaLowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sazam
@Johnny Hotspur GT - thank you again!!!

"schrader valves onto each line's brass fittings already in place on each line, therefore no cutting"

that was my direction of thinking - to avoid cutting - it is just a pitty it is under the car - phaeton as i recall has it in the trunk so easy access.

the idea with silicone i great too - in a real emerg to not spent too much time and worry on vacation

btw - the valve unit - it has 6 lines - 4 to each wheel, 5th is src from compressor, 6th??? return line - shared by all 4 struts? and which color is which role?
Have you resolved it?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 04-28-2023 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Remove spoiler link
Old 04-15-2023, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by TinaLowe
Have you resolved it?
Hello ​​​​​​@TinaLowe ,
Welcome to 6speedonline !
As to your question, there is nothing to be "resolved", this is a what if scenario.

Johnny

PS. I fixed your location for you 😉.